Re: [Sci-Fi_Armor] Re: Perhaps OT, paper of Tanks on Urban Combat

  • david schnyer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
      look at and airial map of washington d.c. as it was laid out originally, the city was designed for military defense. wide boulevards from the center out for cannon fire, with radial streets for moving defending troops quickly to ambush invaders. paris is another example, though both are overlaid with modern construction now.
      "gunner"

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
        If North Korea ever decided to go south again they would have to go through a 25 mile long
        mine field /kill zone.  IT WOULD BE A SLAUGHTER UNKNOWN so far in history

        signature

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
          the only problem is that north korea's leadership lives in a fantasy world, troop casualties would not figure in their reckoning.
          "gunner"

          From: dm_tim <dm_tim@...>
          To: Sci-Fi_Armor@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Friday, February 1, 2013, 12:37 PM

          I imagine that there are some cities that are always prepared for urban combat. I believe that there are contraptions in place in South Korea to block highways in the event the North decides to invade. Surely they have a comprehensive set of contingencies in place that would be pretty effective. Are there any notes on what they've got? It would be an interesting read. Regards, Tim --- In http://us.mc1403.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Sci-Fi_Armor%40yahoogroups.com, Thomas Cameron wrote: > > > OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH if you only KNEW LOLLLLL.  NOW TANKS are on wheels and smaller to run down narrow sreeets.  Also NOW a huge bunch of mini remote controled > TANKS  >   >                                                    Doc >   > > signature >   > > > > > --- On Thu, 1/31/13, Grauwolf wrote: > > > From: Grauwolf > Subject: [Sci-Fi_Armor] Re: Perhaps OT, paper of Tanks on Urban Combat > To: http://us.mc1403.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Sci-Fi_Armor%40yahoogroups.com > Date: Thursday, January 31, 2013, 10:22 AM > > > >   > > > > Greetings Terry and ALL, > > A Darn Interesting read!!! > > Urban Combat will ALWAYS be the nastiest stuff any type of unit will have to deal with. Even the best trained infantry and armor will sustain heavy losses in that environment. Far more so than any other type of battlefield. Not to mention the infrastructure of the target itself. . . . Still, all things considered, I can't decide if Nuking The Site From Orbit isn't a far better option. Who needs infrastructure if you have to rebuild everything anyway? Since The World views poorly the enslavement of "innocent" civilians, they amount to nothing more than logistical headaches at best, and potential terrorists or their supporters at worse. Why waste the time, lives and resources??? "NUKE EM TILL THEY GLOW!" works for me! > > Thoughts??? > > Keep It FUN! > > Dan G > > --- In http://us.mc1403.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Sci-Fi_Armor%40yahoogroups.com, Terry Sofian wrote: > > > > http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/carl/download/csipubs/gott_tanks.pdf > > >
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7, 2013
            Greetings Gunner, Doc and ALL,

            GREAT points both!

            Most originally planned strategic city defenses have been rendered useless and outdated by modern reconstruction, helo insertion and missile/bomb targeting systems. Though I did see some darn impressive anti-aircraft emplacements prominent on many buildings in S.Korea and Taiwan while I was there that would give a chopper pilot nightmares! Still, other than in Third World Nations I do not believe that there is any major city that could any longer be considered of strategic military value worth wasting the troops and equipment required to take and hold it. Thanks to Urban Sprawl and the redistribution and diversification of manufacturing/supply centers, major cities just don't hold the military value that they once did as shortly ago as WWII.

            In fact, I doubt that many even hold very much of real use in the way of Propaganda Value any more. IMO, if an "Enemy Force" took D.C., N.Y., L.A., or &tc, I would wish them luck with em!!! Heck, I would even feel sorry for the saps! Between the Gangs and the crowds of useless Welfare Sheeple alone they would be crying their eyes out within a week! Throw in the impassable roadways, rendered even more so by the Invasion Panic, and their ground troops and armor are going No Where Fast! . . . Hhhmmmm, maybe these cities ain't so "defenseless" after all!!! LOL

            Yeah, I think that the ~ GODZILLA Approach ~ to Urban Combat is the only way to go!!!

            OH, NO! There Goes Tokyo! Go! Go! Godzilla!