WORST MSF Awards????

  • grauwulf
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2005
      Greetings All,

      Okay, surely everyone has and most folks will probably even agree apon
      what they consider to be their picks for the BEST of MSF. What I would
      like to know is, what do you consider to be the very WORST in the way
      of MSF???
      Please include as many categories as possible. (I.e.- Book, movie, TV
      series, etc) Please also include your reasons for your selection.

      Hey, everyone is a natural critic. You plopped down your dime and
      probably feel like you got shortchanged on the deal so why not vent?
      You may even save a fellow traveler a buck or two in the process.

      So who gets your personal nomination for --

      The WORST of the WORST Millitary Science Fiction Awards????

      Sci-Fi_Armor
      The Armor Salvage Yard
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ArmorSalvage/
    • grauwulf
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 2005
        Greetings All,

        I think the really hard part is in choosing just one. I couldn't do
        it.
        I had to struggle to settle for just two in most categories! Let me
        know when the plasma bolts stop flying so that I'll know its safe to
        leave the bunker. --LOL

        Worst TV depiction of ground forces in combat -- Star Trek Next
        Generation and Deep Space Nine.
        People in brightly colored long sleeve T-shirts running and "hiding"
        behind rocks while using hand weapons that can supposedly blow those
        same rocks to tiny flying bits. They might have been more impressive
        and useful if they reverted to colonial style ranked line-abreast
        musket firing troop tactics.

        Worst Movie -- A split --- STARSHIP TROOPERS II and BATTLEFIELD
        EARTH

        BE was a true John Travolta and L. Ron Hubbard master work. Besides
        just terrible writing, acting, directing, etc, etc. The whole story
        was just plain BAD. Human cavemen who can suddenly out fly and out
        fight the alien invaders in super jump jets. --Nuf Said.

        ST-II.... Just plain stupid. They must have been hoping that all the
        cheap gore shots would help pull the thing off.

        Worst Book -- Classic
        --- Robert A. Heinlein's STARSHIP TROOPERS
        The first chapter was great the rest was boring un to DEATH! Way too
        much Boot Camp and pushing of the writer's own political agendas. This
        time the Movie was far better than the book could ever hope to be.

        Current -- Another split
        --- X-Box spin-off HALO : THE FLOOD by William C. Dietz.
        It was like having to sit and watch someone else play the video game.
        Shoot - kill two aliens. Run twenty yards - change weapons - turn
        corner - shoot - kill ten aliens..........

        --- SPEC OPS SQUAD - DEEP STRIKE by Rick Shelley
        Stupid boring aliens. Stupid boring characters. Whiny lead "tough guy"
        character. This guy even made the fire fights BORING!!!

        Worst Writer --- David Weber
        Prolific as heck and his stuff always looks so darn good at the store,
        but it is like he is always trying to sell you on yet another overly
        drawn out series that he just can not seem to carry off.

        Since I do not read Comix (Graphic or Illustrated Novels as some
        prefer
        to call them) or play Video or RPG Games I won't take any free shots
        down those alleys.

        So any further nominations???

        Or should I just break out the MREs and settle in for a nice long stay
        in this here old bunker? Infiltrators beware! I am a strong believer
        in
        booby traps! --LOL

        Dan G
      • WhiteWolf
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2005
          --- "grauwulf" <grauwulf@y...> wrote:
          > Greetings All,
          >
          > I think the really hard part is in choosing just
          > one. I couldn't do it. I had to struggle to
          > settle for just two in most categories! Let me
          > know when the plasma bolts stop flying so that
          > I'll know its safe to leave the bunker. --LOL

          I aint giving ya time to get to the bunker, Grau.

          > Worst TV depiction of ground forces in combat -- Star Trek Next
          > Generation and Deep Space Nine.

          Agreed, most other book-series have onboard Marines
          for this, and the color-coded shirts were ok for
          the first series, but rediculous further on.

          > Worst Movie -- A split ---
          > --- STARSHIP TROOPERS II and BATTLEFIELD EARTH
          >
          > BE was a true John Travolta and L. Ron Hubbard
          > master work. Besides just terrible writing,
          > acting, directing, etc, etc. The whole story
          > was just plain BAD. Human cavemen who can
          > suddenly out fly and out fight the alien
          > invaders in super jump jets. --Nuf Said.

          I might agree, but can't remember how much time
          post-invasion had elapsed, so can't guess how
          much tech had been forgotten. Just cause they
          ~lived~ like cavemen dinna mean they had the IQ's
          of cavemen.

          > ST-II.... Just plain stupid. They must have been
          > hoping that all the cheap gore shots would help
          > pull the thing off.

          I think they butchered the book from the first one.
          Fart-bugs? thats going too far. The CGI-animated
          series 'Roughnecks:StarShip Troopers' was better.

          > Worst Book -- Classic ---
          > --- Robert A. Heinlein's STARSHIP TROOPERS
          > The first chapter was great the rest was boring
          > unto DEATH! Way too much Boot Camp and pushing
          > of the writer's own political agendas. This time
          > the Movie was far better than the book could
          > ever hope to be.

          Dune started badly too... and got wierd toward the
          4th book (Dune Messiah) I aint read the Chapterhouse
          books or the Butlerian Jihad... tempted to though.
          I'd put Dune Messiah ahead of StarShip Trooper.

          > Current -- Another split ---
          > --- X-Box spin-off HALO : THE FLOOD by W. C. Dietz.

          Any Game sequels are 50%/50%, and book spinoffs from
          games are usually weighted towards the BAD. Dietz is
          a great writer. I think he got hung by writing limits
          in the game.

          Read his 'Legion of the Damned' series (6 books, plans
          for a 7th) if you doubt me (www.williamcdietz.com)
          Not to mention 'DeathDay' & 'EarthRise' are much better
          post-invasion rebellion scenario-pair than Hubbard's BE.

          > --- SPEC OPS SQUAD - DEEP STRIKE by Rick Shelley
          > Stupid boring aliens. Stupid boring characters.
          > Whiny lead "tough guy" character. This guy even
          > made the fire fights BORING!!!

          No comment, aint read it or know the writer.

          > Worst Writer --- David Weber
          > Prolific as heck and his stuff always looks so
          > darn good at the store, but it is like he is
          > always trying to sell you on yet another overly
          > drawn out series that he just can not seem to
          > carry off.

          Big NEGATORY here...

          Weber's 'Hononverse' as its now been called is GOLD.
          10 books, with an 11th coming 'At All Costs', 4 more
          in 'Worlds of Honor' sub-set, plus his co-writing
          with John Ringo in the 'March Upcountry' set is a
          masterpiece (#4: We Few is die in PB anytime)

          To kick you in the privates, Weber's newest book,
          'Old Soldiers' is set in Laumer's BOLO universe!

          His Dahak series is also fabulous: what if our Moon
          wasn't a hunk of rock, but a disguised starship?

          His solo-books are just as good: 'Apocalypse Troll',
          'Path of the Fury', and even one written for Drake's
          'Ranks of Bronze' and later expanded with Drake's
          encouragement: 'The Excalibur Alternative'

          > Or should I just break out the MREs and settle
          > in for a nice long stay in this here old bunker?
          > Infiltrators beware! I am a strong believer in
          > booby traps! --LOL

          Ok boys, fire that salvo. Pulverise that bunker,
          and a good 1000 metre radius about the co-ords!

          Think those MRE's ahve rotten yer brain, Grau.

          > Dan G

          WhiteWolf
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 14, 2005
            Greetings WW and All,

            > Just cause they ~lived~ like cavemen dinna mean they had the IQ's of
            cavemen. <

            Either way. John and Co show up and in two shakes take out the elite
            pilots who have been flying and fighting most of their lives from every
            country on this planet. Many years later along comes the LRH's hero
            Cavemen who somehow figure out how to work a flight simulator; spend a
            few hours playing video games, go out and steal a bunch of jets; then
            proceed to trash out John's veteran alien space-jockey buddies with
            nearly no effort.

            We won't even go into John in Frankenstein platform boots and fright
            wig. --LOL

            > Any Game sequels are 50%/50%, and book spinoffs from games are
            usually weighted towards the BAD.<

            I guess than that I must have just gotten lucky with CRIMSON SKY and
            REPUBLIC COMMANDO. With Dietz's name on the cover (Yeah, I know he does
            better) I was hoping for more of the same.

            > Big NEGATORY here... Weber's 'Hononverse' <

            Actually I liked Weber's older stuff. Never picked up the Honor series.
            (Don't like stories with guys writing about women or women trying to
            write about men. IMO - Too much gets lost in the "translation" and it
            only takes away from the story.)

            > Think those MRE's ahve rotten yer brain, Grau. <

            Yeah, but that is what makes them edible!

            Sci-Fi_Armor
            The Armor Salvage Yard
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ArmorSalvage/
            Big Sky Robotics