Re: [Sci-Fi_Armor] Re: Warning: eBay-sourced bearings attach styrene!

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2005
      Greetings WW and All,

      > Not rubber-sealed ones, Not without an ultrasonic
      cleaner, and I don't have one. I knew I should
      have stuck with my metal-shielded ones... *sigh* <

      There is a wise old saying that goes, "Give a Shade Tree Mechanic a
      hammer and a roll of duct-tape and he might just fix the World." Or is
      that, "....really, really hurt himself."??? Either way, never mind all
      that. --LOL

      If you don't mind an idea from an old STM and risking one of those
      bearings in a bit of an experiment??? (This has worked before for me
      but on a much larger 4"dia bearing. So I am not 100% sure as to how
      well the seal will flex on such a small one. Hence the risk of
      experimentation.)
      Anyway, I seems to me that if those bearings are already leaking that
      caustic lubricant than those seals are either already not doing their
      job or that is the world?s slickest grease yet made. Either way, that
      it is now to our advantage.

      Stuff you will need. --
      - the nefarious bearing
      - small, old sauce pan (that, hopefully, your wife will never miss)
      - any type of non-plastic/rubber corrosive spray solvent WITH nozzle
      hose (I have even used WD-40 in a pinch but it takes a lot more) ***Use
      with plenty of fresh air and eye protection of course***
      - the grease of your choice
      - long nosed pliers or cooking tongs (she's your wife, you choose)
      - rags
      - stove/heat source (I suggest a small camp stove so that you can work
      outdoors and keep from messing up the wife's kitchen.)
      - water
      *** naturally, keep the rags, grease, and spray solvent well away from
      any heat source throughout the duration of the experiment. ****
      *** Fire extinguisher, heat resistant glove, band aids, phone for
      calling 911, etc are optional.***

      Drop the bearing into the sauce pan half filled with water. With a
      bearing that small you should not need the water to really boil just
      get close and hold it there for a few seconds. The idea here is to heat
      and soften the seal not poach the bearing.
      When you think that it might be softened (flexes when poked, lube
      leakage, etc) pull it out of the pan. Before it cools, spray the heck
      out of it with the solvent making sure to really work the solvent in by
      turning the bearing inside of its race.
      You may need to repeat this all a couple of times to be sure that you
      have gotten all of that old killer grease out of the bearing.
      Give the bearing a couple of days to really dry all of the solvent out
      of it.
      Heat it up one last time but this time when you pull it out start hand
      packing it full of grease. (Any water left within the bearing from the
      final heating should be pushed out by the grease packing.)

      Now, all you can do is give her a go and see what she'll do.

      An ultrasonic cleaner it ain't, but with a bit of work and a little
      luck you may just save yourself those twenty-five US bucks! If you
      decide to give it a go, let me know how it all turns out.

      Sci-Fi_Armor
      The Armor Salvage Yard
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ArmorSalvage/

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • WhiteWolf
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        --- Grauwolf <grauwulf@y...> wrote:
        > Greetings WW and All,
        >
        >> Not rubber-sealed ones, Not without an ultrasonic
        >> cleaner, and I don't have one. I knew I should
        >> have stuck with my metal-shielded ones... *sigh*
        >
        > If you don't mind an idea from an old STM and risking
        > one of those bearings in a bit of an experiment???
        > (This has worked before for me but on a much larger
        > 4"dia bearing. So I am not 100% sure as to how well
        > the seal will flex on such a small one. Hence the
        > risk of experimentation.)

        I read the method, and its not safely-compatible with
        my apartment... no fume-hood over the stove.

        Besides, now that Joaquim knows I'm not a hobby-noob,
        he's stopped with the 'have ya tried this' line.

        He has even said if the manufacturer will not replace
        the bearings, he'll take the loss, and replace them
        himself with new ones from his new supplier.

        So, in short, if you bought bearings from him, and are
        worried about your styrene, contact him. He cannot make
        any awards for damages, but will replace the bearings.

        WhiteWolf
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2005
          Greetings WW and All,

          > So, in short,...<->...will replace the bearings. <

          Yeah, okay fine, do it the E-A-S-Y way. --LOL

          Glad to hear that things have worked out for ya!

          Sci-Fi_Armor
          The Armor Salvage Yard
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ArmorSalvage/

          Yahoo! Mail