Re: Retro S-F Armor

  • heavyaslead
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005
      Walmart has sold RC 'Battle Beetles' that could move forward, turn,
      pivot, reverse and uses a dual action rotating clamping claw in
      front. About the size of a Sherman 1/16. I have one and it could be
      fitted like a tank turret or gun, I suppose.

      I imagime the claw grasping the Tiger 88 gun twisting it away as it
      climbs over it! I will have to try it out tonight!

      Cheers
      Eric Scott

      --- In Sci-Fi_Armor@yahoogroups.com, "WhiteWolf"

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
        Greetings WW, Eric and All,

        I had no luck with a quick search of the Wal-Mart or the Toys R Us
        sites looking for these BATTLE BEETLES. I am going to have to try and
        track them down. Know of any Links/sources??? They sound like they
        could make for a very interesting place to RE-start yet again. --LOL

        > I imagime the claw grasping the Tiger 88 gun twisting it away as it
        climbs over it! I will have to try it out tonight! <

        Now just try and tell me that THAT doesn't sound like FUN! --LOL

        > And with today's electronics, sequencing the walking
        & turning motions would be a cinch... *sigh* but
        no-one is gonna tackle it commercially. <

        Do you mean to tell me that the FUN part of this hobby isn't tearing
        what little hair one has left out of your head as you go back and forth
        fighting frustration while trying to engineer a working model of your
        own from the ground up??? Do you have any idea of how much money I
        could be saving on hair restorer products alone by just waiting around
        for someone else to build this thing? Why is it that nobody ever tells
        me that there is an easy way do these sort of things? Chances are I
        probably wouldn't have been able to hear them over the sound of
        grinding metal nor through the haze of smoking plastic and ozone
        anyway. --LOL

        Big Ugly Bug Tanks ROCK!!!

        Dan G

        =====
        Keep It FUN!

        Sci-Fi_Armor
        The Armor Salvage Yard
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ArmorSalvage/

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • heavyaslead
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
          Did a little research:

          The item is called a BATTLE SCARAB and is made in China and
          distributed by Manley Toy Quest.

          Hope this helps!

          Cheers
          Eric Scott

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2005
            Greetings Eric and All,

            BATTLIN' TEKNO CYBER SCARAB

            Well, the Wally World and Toys R Us online searches keep coming up with
            some truly off the wall results. I guess that I will just have to do
            the search the old fashion way.

            Also tracked down two GooFle links to e-bay listings, but e-bay can't
            seem to find them once you get there. Go figure. Is it any wonder that
            I dislike e-bay? --LOL

            From what I have been able to dig up these things only run about $10.00
            to $20.00 USD. At that price they would be well worth it just as an
            engineering short cut. However, I did run across one comment on a chat
            list that said that one of these bugs had a meltdown after a bit of
            play time. Got me to wondering if they have been pulled off the market.
            I could not even find a reference to them at the Manley Toy Quest site.
            Not a good sign. (Note: these are the same folks who gave us the robot
            dogs and cats a couple of years ago.)

            Here is at least something that you all might find interesting.

            Techno Scarab Dissection Results
            http://www.robotgames.net/wcrs/archive%20meetings/jan_12_2002_Buildfest_pics.htm

            I have GOT to find one of these things!

            BTW -- Ken, I haven't had any better luck hunting down any of those
            mini/micro coils you had mentioned either. Everything that I turn up is
            too large, too heavy, too much voltage, too etc... Got any sources
            that you would like to share???

            Dan G

            =====

            http://my.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 12, 2005
              Greetings All,

              A search throughout all of the toy stores in town (of which,
              surprisingly, we do have quite a few) has turned up not a single sign
              of a BATTLIN' TEKNO CYBER SCARAB or anything of even a remote
              resemblance. All I obtained were a few odd looks from a number of the
              clerks, but I am starting to get use to all that. All online searches
              keep coming back empty as well. So now I am wondering if perhaps these
              critters never made it to the US? (Banned for fear of a massive cyber
              insect infestation?) Or perhaps I just missed the boat and they are
              just no longer available in the US? Are they still selling them in the
              UK and Canada???

              Suggestions anyone???

              Dan G

              =====