Re: [Sci-Fi_Armor] Re: Back To WWI

  • notyetasmokejumper@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
      Another WWI based novel I've read recent is ; "Across the Black Waters" an entirely different perspective on the great war.

      On May 29, 2011, at 9:06 AM, "Grauwolf" <grauwulf@...> wrote:

      Greetings John and All,

      > Probably my fave WWI book after All Quiet on the Western Front and Three Day Road. <

      I agree. Jeff Shaara is one DARN GOOD writer!!! He knows how to TELL a story!!! I also really liked his ~ GONE FOR SOLDIERS ~ about the Mex-Am War. Another of my historical points of interest that I feel has been much overlooked by writers. And I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it as well!!! It was probably the number one reason I picked up ~ TO THE LAST MAN ~. I had never seen ~ THREE DAY ROAD ~ but now I'm going to be hunting for it. THANKS for the tip!!! It sounds more of what I usually look for by way of Military Historical Fiction. Stories based upon real or even totally fictional characters faced with the very real events of warfare. I don't want to sound greedy, but do you have any other recommendations???

      Its like I said, its just my quirk. I just prefer the stories about the "Average", the "Unsung" trooper /sailor /&tc (yeah, I'll even tolerate officers. LOL) doing what it takes to survive. To me, the stories about "Famous" Generals /Commanders /Aces /&tc are . . . okay . . .but, well, you can find their stories and memoirs darn near anywhere. Heck, that's why they're Famous, right? THEIR stories have been told and retold a hundred times. And, unfortunately, IMO Their stories are usually often much removed from the actual fighting. (Air Aces excluded of course.) Its just the demands of rank. No less horrible. Just a very different perspective.

      In most cases, the Average grunt, who may have taken part in darn near every heavy bloody battle, may never have even seen any of these Famous guys hanging around during the whole course of the war. That was one of the reasons I really liked the Sharpe stories. They never even got to ~ see ~ Napoleon until Waterloo, and then only at a great distance. "Is that really His own self there now? . . . God save Ireland!" LOL

      I shouldn't even go back into writers often twisting and distorting these Famous men just to sell their stories. A point I find irritating in the extreme. Thus the reason I prefer ~ Fictional ~ characters over Real Life ones. IMO a writer can bloody well do darn near anything he wants to his own creation. I sure as heck do not believe he has the right to turn a real hero, or even a villain, inside-out just to suit his own plot line &/or politics. A writing tactic that has gone on in far too many cases. Yeah, I hate rewrites! LOL

      Gone For Soldiers
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gone_for_Soldiers

      Three Day Road
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Day_Road

      Those who refuse to learn from History -
      -- will always screw over those of us who do!!!

      SCI-FI ARMOR
      --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sci-Fi_Armor/
      "Never Give Up! -- Never Surrender!"

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
        Greetings John and All,

        I just read the write up on Great War Fiction. You're right this does sound rather interesting. I have always wondered how the Sepoy dealt with getting thrown into the Very Different World of the European trenches. Sounds like a Good Read! THANKS for the tip!!!

        http://greatwarfiction.wordpress.com/2010/02/22/across-the-black-waters/

        Usually I'm more of a Navy man. I came across John Biggins some time back and REALLY enjoyed his ~ Otto Prohaska, Future Hero of the Habsburg Empire ~ series of books. I mean, how often do you get to read about the Austrian Submarine Service during WWI??? His ~ A SAILOR OF AUSTRIA ~ was Darn Good!!! Have you ever read any of those??? Highly Recommended!!!

        http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/john-biggins/