Russian USOs

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2009
      Greetings All,

      I'm not a ~ huge ~ fan of the whole UFO thing. I just don't get into those little gray guys and I CERTAINLY do not believe that they are here for our benefit in any way shape or form. (Especially when the whole Multiverse knows that they are the greatest bunch of perverts in the universe! –LOL)

      However, having The Sea in your blood has always kept me very interested in USOs (Unidentified Submerged Objects) of all kinds. I blame it partially on Verne for his influencing my early years. (It has even influenced the design of my TRIPOD!) For me, it just seems logical that if you are going to come to a planet that is mostly water you are in all likelihood going to try and take every advantage of that fact. (Just FYI – The greatest number of meteor strikes on Earth occur at sea and thus go completely un-noted!) The oceans and greater lakes of this world are still the most devoid areas of human presence. The Great Deeps even more so!

      Recently I ran across a small item regarding the Russians opening up their USO files. Unlike the US the Russians have never seemed to have a problem with admitting to researching UFOs or USOs. They are just tight lipped about what they find out. -- Understandable.

      In this article is a rather short item that I found of interest —

      "Another place where people often report UFO encounters is Russia's Lake Baikal, the deepest fresh water body in the world. Fishermen tell of powerful lights coming from the deep and objects flying up from the water.

      In one case in 1982 a group of military divers training at Baikal spotted a group of humanoid creatures dressed in silvery suits. The encounter happened at a depth of 50 meters, and the divers tried to catch the strangers. Three of the seven men died, while four others were severely injured"

      RUSSIA TODAY – Russian UFO Records Say Aliens Love Oceans
      http://www.russiatoday.com/Top_News/2009-07-21/russian-navy-ufo-records-say-aliens-love-oceans.html

      (Or link through) Russian Navy Reveals Its Secret UFO Encounters

      Ya all can call me a Nutter --- BUT --- Being an Old Salt I can tell you for a fact that there are, and will always be, ~ Things ~ out on the great waters that you Land Lubbers will probably never care to believe.

      What Do YOU ALL Think????

      USO = Unidentified Submerged Object
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unidentified_submerged_object

      SCI-FI ARMOR--- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
    • dirk r. festus festerling
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2009
        --- In Sci-Fi_Armor@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <grauwulf@...> wrote:

        > Ya all can call me a Nutter --- BUT --- Being an Old Salt I can tell you for a fact that there are, and will always be, ~ Things ~ out on the great waters that you Land Lubbers will probably never care to believe.
        >
        > What Do YOU ALL Think????

        i´d rather take an anal probe than drink whatever russians are consuming before they start seeing alien divers.

        that said: we already have the cure: http://ufoseries.com/models/skydiver6ft1.jpg
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
          Greetings Festus and All,

          > that said: we already have the cure: http://ufoseries. com/models/ skydiver6ft1. jpg <

          VERY COOL! — Yours????

          But — Um, ---- Won't we have even more headaches just trying to keep all of those darn marionette strings untangled??? And what if those sneaky old aliens show up armed with (GASP!) ~ SCISSORS!!! –LOL

          Besides, I still think that I prefer Old School. (My Very Favorite version of the NAUTILUS!!! --- This guy is amazing!) ---
          http://www.museumoftheimprobable.com/01.html

          But I guess that we can always go with the old USOS SEAVIEW (ya GOT to love flying subs! BOTH of them!) ---
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SeaviewSurface2.jpg

          or UEO SEAQUEST DSV 4600 (they REALLY should have given that boat a real name!) —
          http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d6/Seaquestdsv.jpg

          I would throw in John Ringo's VORPAL BLADE but that's actually a ~ Spaceship ~ so I don't think that those type of things would really count.

          Hhhmmm — I think that's about all we got in the way of preserving our undersea planetary security. Other than our woefully inadequate Real World resources of course. Yeah, even Sci-Fi has pretty much turned a blind eye to the alien threat to our seas. Why do you suppose that is???

          Other than the movies THE ABYSS and SPHERE (maybe DEEP STAR SIX???) and one episode of SEAQUEST I don't think that anybody has really even bothered to make use of the subject. — ANYBODY???

          BTW — Here's a rather interesting link to some USO research. Just incase ya all think that its ONLY a bunch of old Sea Stories told by drunken sailors. —

          Water UFO - A Research Endeavor
          http://www.waterufo.net/menu.htm

          Lord Rankeillour, Member of the House of Lords:

          Many men have seen them [UFOs] and have not been mistaken. Who are we to doubt their word? …
          Only a few weeks ago a Palermo policeman photographed one, and four Italian Navy officers saw a 300-foot long fiery craft rising from the sea and disappearing into the sky...
          Why should these men of law enforcement and defense lie?

          [House of Lords, Debate on Unidentified Flying Objects, Hansard (Lords), Vol. 397, No. 23, January 18, 1979.]

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
            > > that said: we already have the cure: http://ufoseries. com/models/ skydiver6ft1. jpg
            > VERY COOL! — Yours????

            no. i just have a rather small diecast version.

            i´m afraid you´re confusing some anderson´s tv series.
            thunderbirds http://images.art.com/images/-/Thunderbirds--C10089646.jpeg come with strings.
            ufo strings: well, there´s net underwear as board dress http://i1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/101/109/679/f6LDIRAFpjLp08W.jpg

            > Besides, I still think that I prefer Old School. (My Very Favorite version of the NAUTILUS!!! --- This guy is amazing!) ---
            > http://www.museumoftheimprobable.com/01.html

            never liked any nautilus model (still have 3 different plastic ones). reality is indeed something that migh be discussed, but i found them all to be too this-just-can´t-work-without-handwavium.

            > But I guess that we can always go with the old USOS SEAVIEW (ya GOT to love flying subs! BOTH of them!) ---

            > or UEO SEAQUEST DSV 4600

            more workable ideas, still much technobabble bullshit.

            if i had to choose any of the larger gadgets, i´d go for thunderbird 2 http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/2/6a/26accfc70abe31f1aca6a5be94a15254-orig
            (diecast sits on my desk back home)
            maybe with a, well, dinghy: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3115/3128025842_3ab9f2325a.jpg
            (working 1:1 scale version in my garage for some 20 years)

            >Yeah, even Sci-Fi has pretty much turned a blind eye to the alien threat to our seas. Why do you suppose that is???

            difficult to film. in real water scuba tanks are empty after 30 minutes, and fx underwater was and still is really, really complicated.
            books: did frank schätzing´s "der schwarm" get any recognition on english-reading markets?

            > Only a few weeks ago a Palermo policeman photographed one, and four Italian Navy officers saw a 300-foot long fiery craft rising from the sea and disappearing into the sky...
            > Why should these men of law enforcement and defense lie?

            somebody made them an offer they couldn't refuse?

            come on.
            sicilian local law enforcement and mariners from the very same country that is supposed to build supreme reverse gears?

            maybe it´s an gladio project.
            fnord!

            "
          • WhiteWolf McBride
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
              --- "Dan" <grauwulf@...> wrote:

              > Greetings Festus and All,
              >
              >> that said: we already have the cure:
              >> http://ufoseries.com/models/skydiver6ft1.jpg
              >
              > VERY COOL! — Yours????

              Some people put spaces in links to bollix us... *sigh*
              Seen it, love it, but would never be able to R/C it.
              I'd rather have an R/C ShadoMobile though...

              > But — Um, - Won't we have even more headaches just trying to
              > keep all of those darn marionette strings untangled??? And what
              > if those sneaky old aliens show up armed with (GASP!)
              > ~ SCISSORS!!! – LOL

              Festus is right, 'UFO', 'Doppelganger' (aka 'Journey-tt-FarSide-ot-Sun) and 'Space: 1999' where the Anderson's Live-Action Sci-Fi endeavors (apart from the SpFX, that is)

              > Besides, I still think that I prefer Old School. (My Very Favorite
              > version of the NAUTILUS!!! --- This guy is amazing!) ---
              > http://www.museumoftheimprobable.com/01.html

              After seeing it once again (bought the DVD) I prefer the TV-movie version, with Michael Caine as Nemo, and Mia Sara as his daughter. If ya want some stills from the DVD, I'll try to get 'em posted up. Their 'Nautilus' is more manta-shaped & twin-prop. The hand-braces Nemo had were inventive, as was the mechanical that he had made for Arronax. One of my online characters had a similar set before they got altered by his magick (now they are more like metallic tattoos)

              > But I guess that we can always go with the old USOS SEAVIEW (ya
              > GOT to love flying subs! BOTH of them!) ---
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SeaviewSurface2.jpg

              Oh yea, the Flying sub is always a fave... and there is an R/C hull for that too. Guy in my local club has one, but his propulsion is a tad anaemic. And MonstersInmotion has a Moebius repo of the kit, with a detailing set, and a lighting kit too. I'm still waiting for the re-release of Monogram's Tim Daniels design, 'Rommels Rod'.

              > or UEO SEAQUEST DSV 4600 (they REALLY should have given that boat
              > a real name!) —
              > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d6/Seaquestdsv.jpg

              Much preferred the shark-like 'Stinger/Gazelle' minisub:
              http://www.newcapequest.com/ncq/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10006/stinger.jpg

              > I would throw in John Ringo's VORPAL BLADE but that's actually a
              > ~ Spaceship ~ so I don't think that those type of things would
              > really count.

              It counts, as its a ~converted~ sub, and sea-launches. and remember, its the A.S.S. Vorpal Blade! Can't wait for 'Claws That Catch'.

              P.S.: Read the Council Wars series? Magick meant Sci-Fi.

              > Hhhmmm — I think that's about all we got in the way of preserving
              > our undersea planetary security. Other than our woefully
              > inadequate Real World resources of course. Yeah, even Sci-Fi has
              > pretty much turned a blind eye to the alien threat to our seas.
              > Why do you suppose that is???

              Depends on how advanced the aliens that are invading are... look at Turtledove's WorldWar series (next on my order list)

              > Other than the movies THE ABYSS and SPHERE (maybe DEEP STAR SIX???)
              > and one episode of SEAQUEST I don't think that anybody has really
              > even bothered to make use of the subject. — ANYBODY???

              UFO did. The later eps had the aliens using the water to prolong their time on earth - apparently their craft degraded after 48 hours in earth's atmosphere, and blew up. (you can get all 26 eps if you have a torrent client)

              > BTW — Here's a rather interesting link to some USO research. Just
              > incase ya all think that its ONLY a bunch of old Sea Stories told
              > by drunken sailors. —
              >
              > Water UFO - A Research Endeavor
              > http://www.waterufo.net/menu.htm
              >
              > Lord Rankeillour, Member of the House of Lords:
              >
              > Many men have seen them [UFOs] and have not been mistaken. Who are
              > we to doubt their word?...
              > Only a few weeks ago a Palermo policeman photographed one, and four
              > Italian Navy officers saw a 300-foot long fiery craft rising from
              > the sea and disappearing into the sky...
              > Why should these men of law enforcement and defense lie?
              >
              > [House of Lords, Debate on Unidentified Flying Objects, Hansard (Lords), Vol. 397, No. 23, January 18, 1979.]
              >

              > Keep It FUN!
              > Dan G

            • dirk r. festus festerling
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
                > I'd rather have an R/C ShadoMobile though...

                that should be doable as a scratch build on a rc tank chassis.
                for a start
                http://www.geocities.com/srn6hovercraft/More_Papermodels.html
                here´s a instant print-and-glue collection to drive around your desk

                > I'm still waiting for the re-release of Monogram's Tim Daniels design, 'Rommels Rod'.

                http://www.amazon.com/Revell-1-24-RommelS-Rod/dp/B0024FA7ES
                http://www.tomdaniel.com/td_message.html

                i´m surprised this has never been officially sold on the german market.
                oh, well, in a way i´m not surprised.
                too many try to make rommel the good nazi, no fooling around with "valiant heroes" or whatever to hide their own involvement in a criminal state. not this groups theme, sp i´ll end this rant here.

                festus
              • Dan
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2009
                  Greetings Festus, WW, and All,

                  Festus Wrote —
                  > never liked any nautilus model (still have 3 different plastic ones). reality is indeed something that migh be discussed, but i found them all to be too this-just-can´t-work-without-handwavium. <

                  Well, I think that just about covers every single Sci-Fi land, sea, air, or space vehicle EVER created. Doesn't it???? Even the ones based purely on ~ Real World ~ Tech for current and/or Near Future storylines ALL have a number of design and/or performance flaws as they are portrayed. That's why its called ~ Fiction ~. Right??? In fact, IMO, your Brit Sci-Fi stuff probably requires far, far more ~ handwavium ~ than most other sources. But, heck, that's the FUN of it ALL! Ain't it???

                  > more workable ideas, still much technobabble bullshit.

                  if i had to choose any of the larger gadgets, i´d go for thunderbird 2
                  http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/2/6a/26accfc70abe31f1aca6a5be94a15254-orig
                  (diecast sits on my desk back home)
                  maybe with a, well, dinghy:
                  http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3115/3128025842_3ab9f2325a.jpg
                  (working 1:1 scale version in my garage for some 20 years) <

                  ???? Okay, ya completely lost me here. ????
                  T-2 didn't enter the water and T-4 was only a tiny one man Search and Rescue unit if I recall. (Yeah, I had these as a kid too.) And I really don't get how that little SUV of yours figures into defending our seas from hostile aliens. (I'll take my old Ramcharger any day if it comes down to that! --LOL)???

                  > difficult to film. in real water scuba tanks are empty after 30 minutes, and fx underwater was and still is really, really complicated. <

                  I don't think that is it. They have been filming and faking underwater stuff for flicks and TV for about as long as they have had cameras and film. In fact quite a number of ~ Space ~ shots were done in wet tanks. (The hardest part there is in hiding the darn bubbles! –LOL) Besides CGI doesn't care whether you're faking water or vacuum. FX only marginally so. The insides of a Spaceship or a Space Station looks about the same as its Deep Water counterparts. Its just that things tend to get blown in rather than sucked out. I have yet to see anybody who can tell whether a diver is only 10 feet under or 10 fathoms. — PLUS! — ALL of the Cool High Tech equipment can be gabbed up right off the shelves without having to re-re-re-re-invent yet another ~ Cool ~ spacey type suit like they seem to feel that they need to do for every Space flick/TV show!

                  That 30 minute limit is only for single tank ~ Sport ~ divers. Professionals use double rigs with the DEEP crews using mixer units. DEEP rig workers still prefer to use umbilicalis because the hassles with the lines are greatly outweighed by the extension of time under, so cast and crews can easily do the same. Or the crew can just as easily film from behind glass, thus the only limits are the standards set by the motion picture unions. –LOL

                  Even without Film and/or TV that still leaves a whole heck of a lot of WRITTEN sci-fi that doesn't touch on this subject. Why Not????

                  > somebody made them an offer they couldn't refuse?

                  come on.
                  sicilian local law enforcement and mariners from the very same country that is supposed to build supreme reverse gears? <

                  The point that Lord Rankeillour was making when he addressed the House of Lords was (I believe) that EVERY NATION has tons of documentation taken from a host of what EVERYONE would normally consider VERY RELIABLE witnesses. Yet for some unimaginable reason when those very same witnesses say and/or even film a UFO they are somehow magically transform and become nothing more than raving idiots.

                  If you consider Russian or Sicilian sources ~ unreliable ~ maybe you would prefer United States Naval records??? You might want to note that these are Only a few of the records taken only from large ships. Few USN ship's captains like even the very idea of placing such sightings into official reports. The fact that there are so many listed here says quite a bit. At least to this old salt. Since these are the REPORTED contacts I imagine that those contacts that have gone UNREPORTED would fill a darn good size ledger. I would also draw your attention to the number and duration of sightings listed by the USS FRANKLIN D ROOSEVELT alone starting in 1954 with Operation: Mainbrace. This clearly covers a range of contact areas as well as the fact that these reports would have been submitted by a wide variety of personal given basic crew rotations. — But, Hey!, I'm sure that they were all drunk on watch as well. Right???

                  But if ya don't trust any of them you can always take a look around and see if you can find the UFO records for whichever nation YOU consider a reliable resource. You might just be surprised by what you find!

                  Aircraft Carriers and UFOs
                  http://www.waterufo.net/aircraftcarriers.php

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                    Greetings WW and All,

                    Good to see you join us again!

                    WW Wrote —

                    > Festus is right, 'UFO', 'Doppelganger' (aka 'Journey-tt-FarSide-ot-Sun) and 'Space: 1999' where the Anderson's Live-Action Sci-Fi endeavors (apart from the SpFX, that is) <

                    Yeah, well, who can keep all of that funky ~ High Tech ~ Brit sci-fi special effects stuff straight anyway??? –LOL

                    Just KIDDING!!! guys!

                    > After seeing it once again (bought the DVD) I prefer the TV-movie version, with Michael Caine as Nemo, and Mia Sara as his daughter. If ya want some stills from the DVD, I'll try to get 'em posted up. Their 'Nautilus' is more manta-shaped & twin-prop. <

                    I remember seeing parts of this version, but for some strange reason I never did watch that whole flick. I even passed it up when I found it on the Library shelf. I'll have to see if I can grab it again.

                    Some stills of the ship would be GREAT! — IMO much like Wells' Martian Fighting Machines the NAUTILUS, though well described in the texts, is yet another vessel that has long been subject to ~ Artistic Interpretation ~. Personally, I find THAT almost as intriguing as the machine and the story itself!

                    > It counts, as its a ~converted~ sub, and sea-launches. and remember, its the A.S.S. Vorpal Blade! Can't wait for 'Claws That Catch'. <

                    But the Sea Launches were more a method of trying to hide the ship rather than any sort of practical need. Which didn't really trick the Russians much anyway. Would have been better off launching it from a cattle ranch in Montana! –LOL

                    I have only read to the start of the third book, but it seems to me that once the BLADE got converted it never really saw much use as a sub anymore. Unless you count getting dragged under by a Giant Crabapus!

                    In truth, even with a USN Nuclear Power School ed-u-ma-cation under my belt, I really got bored with half a book constantly rattling on and on and on and on and on about chaos particle theory before it got into any actual action. Then when it finally did he pops up with Giant Hamsters riding Golden Flying Surfboards???? (I hate cute ET Fuzzies.) — Yeah, I think I'll be giving the rest of the series a break for a bit.

                    > Depends on how advanced the aliens that are invading are... look at Turtledove's WorldWar series (next on my order list) <

                    Tried it. After trying other of his series I thought/HOPED! that the Sci-Fi angle would punch up his writing a bit. The old High Tech Alien Invaders that can cross galaxies but lack actually much HIGHER tech than the dumb earthmen shtick got pretty burned out ages ago with me. --- I guess I just ain't much of a Turtledove fan. — Even Wells' invaders were better done. — But knowing your personal love of WWII history and warfare you might like it a whole lot more than I did. I would suggest checking the local library though. It's a LOT easier on the old wallet! –LOL

                    BTW – How's that ROCKETEER project of yours coming along???

                    SCI-FI ARMOR
                    --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
                  • cdn_white_wolf
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 25, 2009
                      --- In Sci-Fi_Armor@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <grauwulf@...> wrote:

                      > Greetings WW and All,
                      >
                      > Good to see you join us again!
                      >
                      > WW Wrote —
                      >
                      >> Festus is right, 'UFO', 'Doppelganger' (aka 'J-t-t-F-S-o-t-S)
                      >> and 'Space: 1999' were the Anderson's Live-Action Sci-Fi endeavors
                      >> (apart from the SpFX, that is)
                      >
                      > Yeah, well, who can keep all of that funky ~ High Tech ~ Brit
                      > sci-fi special effects stuff straight anyway??? –LOL
                      >
                      > Just KIDDING!!! guys!

                      **whacks ya with his customized 'frat-bat'** (Frat-style cricket bat,
                      remember "Thank-you-sir, may I have another" from 'Animal House'?)

                      >> After seeing it once again (bought the DVD) I prefer the TV-movie
                      >> version, with Michael Caine as Nemo, and Mia Sara as his daughter.
                      >> If ya want some stills from the DVD, I'll try to get 'em posted
                      >> up. Their 'Nautilus' is more manta-shaped & twin-prop.
                      >
                      > I remember seeing parts of this version, but for some strange reason
                      > I never did watch that whole flick. I even passed it up when I found
                      > it on the Library shelf. I'll have to see if I can grab it again.

                      If you have the bandwidth, look for it on various torrent sites.
                      Or I could dub my copy original, not torrent'd) & mail it to ya.

                      > Some stills of the ship would be GREAT! — IMO much like Wells'
                      > Martian Fighting Machines the NAUTILUS, though well described
                      > in the texts, is yet another vessel that has long been subject
                      > to ~Artistic Interpretation~. Personally, I find THAT almost as
                      > intriguing as the machine and the story itself!

                      Don't think I ever read the text versions of either, but I should.

                      >> It counts, as its a ~converted~ sub, and sea-launches.
                      >> And remember, its the A.S.S. Vorpal Blade!
                      >> Can't wait for 'Claws That Catch'. <
                      >
                      > But the Sea Launches were more a method of trying to hide the ship
                      > rather than any sort of practical need.

                      I'd say more 50/50%. Yea, it was fittered with landing jacks, as the story notes, but Earth-orbit satellites could track it just as easily if it lifted from Dreamland as from the water, yes? Its just that most of the outfitting facilities were at the naval base - it ~is~ still mostly sub, after all.

                      > Which didn't really trick the Russians much anyway. Would have
                      > been better off launching it from a cattle ranch in Montana! –LOL

                      See above note...

                      > I have only read to the start of the third book, but it seems to
                      > me that once the BLADE got converted it never really saw much use
                      > as a sub anymore. Unless you count getting dragged under by a Giant
                      > Crabapus!

                      Crabpus, from crab+octopus.

                      > In truth, even with a USN Nuclear Power School ed-u-ma-cation under
                      > my belt, I really got bored with half a book constantly rattling on
                      > and on and on and on and on about chaos particle theory before it
                      > got into any actual action. Then when it finally did he pops up
                      > with Giant Hamsters riding Golden Flying Surfboards???? (I hate
                      > cute ET Fuzzies.) — Yeah, I think I'll be giving the rest of the
                      > series a break for a bit.

                      If ya like Renne stuff, Try the 'Council Wars' quartet. Rather interesting... dragon-apult launchers on naval-carriers, oy-vey!

                      >> Depends on how advanced the aliens that are invading are...
                      >> look at Turtledove's WorldWar series (next on my order list)
                      >
                      > Tried it. After trying other of his series I thought/HOPED!
                      > that the Sci-Fi angle would punch up his writing a bit. The
                      > old High Tech Alien Invaders that can cross galaxies but lack
                      > actually much HIGHER tech than the dumb earthmen shtick got
                      > pretty burned out ages ago with me. --- I guess I just ain't
                      > much of a Turtledove fan. — Even Wells' invaders were better
                      > done. — But knowing your personal love of WWII history and
                      > warfare you might like it a whole lot more than I did. I would
                      > suggest checking the local library though. It's a LOT easier on
                      > the old wallet! –LOL

                      I always buy only the first book, and if I like it, ~then~ buy the
                      rest of 'em. As for not being far ahead, hey, They based their advances on old survey data. Kinda like Apocalypse Troll when the Kanga's first encountered... with a 20 lightyear lag back & forth,
                      they returned to get clobbered... We're too good at gadgeteering!

                      > BTW – How's that ROCKETEER project of yours coming along???

                      Everything is kinda stalled due to health, but I should get off my
                      butt and do some of the stuff that should be done outside while the
                      weather is still tolerable, eh?

                      WhiteWolf
                    • grauwulf
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 26, 2009
                        Greetings WW and All,

                        >> Michael Caine as Nemo <<
                        WW Wrote –
                        > If you have the bandwidth, look for it on various torrent sites.
                        Or I could dub my copy original, not torrent'd) & mail it to ya. <

                        What a Pal! But, No Worries. I'm in the library's queue. Just a matter of time now. Worse case = I get them to order another if some bonehead has walked off with it. (Like I had to do for VORPAL BLADE)

                        >> WotW & 20KLUtS <<
                        WW Wrote –
                        > Don't think I ever read the text versions of either, but I should. <

                        Wow! In that case then we're just going to have to ed-u-ma-kate U! –LOL

                        Actually, that doesn't surprise me all that much these days. I'm sure that there are a lot of folks about who have never cracked The CLASSICS and rely on film to tell those (butchered) stories for them. These days the writing styles and form of adventure storytelling contained in those old works take a lot of ~ Getting Use To ~ for folks raised on this New Age Stuff. — But — Have ya ever asked yourself ~ Why is it those Old Classics are the ones that are being CONSTANTLY redone while all of this New Age Stuff only sits on the shelves or gets tossed into the Recycling Bin??? ----- Only one way to find out for sure. ----- Crack The Book.

                        Let's not drown ya too soon. I know you're a TANKER so I would suggest getting your feet wet with the (short) story that inspired and drove the birth of your passion.---

                        HG Wells' ~ THE LAND IRONCLADS. (FREE online version)
                        http://www.zeitcom.com/majgen/60w-1_landironclads.html
                        Wiki – The Land Ironclads
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Land_Ironclads

                        NEXT — I would suggest jumping into ~ THE WAR OF THE WORLDS ~. It too is actually a rather short story. More a novelette than an actual Novel. Most bookstore versions double it up with others like THE TIME MACHINE, THE FIRST MEN IN THE MOON, &&&. One of the GREAT things about these Classics is the price and availability! Ya can find them in EVERY library and used bookstore in the WORLD! Plus FREE online at Gutenberg Press, &&&.

                        HG Wells' ~ THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (FREE online)
                        http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/36
                        Wiki – The War of the Worlds
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(novel)

                        Now-a-days Jules Verne's stories might take a New Age Sci-Fi-er a good deal of readjustment. Unlike Wells who wrote stories for general consumption as a serial in news magazines like THE STRAND, Verne was more dedicated to the full blown NOVEL. His ~ TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA ~ is a true TOMB. Especially if you are lucky enough to find a translation where the chapters detailing the in-depth description of the NAUTILUS's technology haven't been edited out. (Yeah, MOST do exactly that! -- Go Figure!) However, if you are up for a REAL well written ADVENTURE and not yet another multi-player soap opera you can not go wrong with 20KLUtS and its sequel ~ THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

                        Wiki – Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Thousand_Leagues_Under_the_Sea

                        Wiki – The Mysterious Island
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysterious_Island

                        I am not trying to argue that the movie versions of a Classic story are ~ Bad ~ as per say. They are just not the SAME stories as you find contained between the covers of any of these great works. Why is it that EVERYBODY who does a film version feels that they need to seriously change the original??? I gave up trying to answer that question long ago and have just learned to take each one as yet another ~ semi-unique ~ story of its own. Some Good — Some NOT! –LOL

                        I really do though hope that you will give these Classics a try. Ya might just figure out where most of these New Age writers got their inspirations. (Besides the Day Time Soaps!!! –LOL)

                        WW Wrote —
                        > If ya like Renne stuff, Try the 'Council Wars' quartet. Rather interesting. .. dragon-apult launchers on naval-carriers, oy-vey! <

                        Right now I have FINALLY jumped into Drake's ~ RCN or Lt. Leary ~ series. Still trying to figure out why I never read them before. ??? — GREAT STUFF! I love the HIGH Tech mixed with Low Tech. It really finally makes Drake's stuff actually make workable technical as well as tactical sense! Though I still think that Drake needs to spend a bit of time hanging around real working Naval ships and personal if he is going to write about them. Still GREAT Stories! Far better than reading the O'Brian ~ Aubrey/Maturin ~ series he styled them on. I really like the ~ Sailing ~ through Sponge Space!!! Too bad the cover artists didn't bother to read the books --- AGAIN!

                        Wiki – RCN Series
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCN_Series

                        SCI-FI ARMOR
                        --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
                      • david schnyer
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 26, 2009
                          "Drake needs to spend a bit of time hanging around real working Naval ships and personell if he is going to write about them."
                          ----------------------
                          david was a cavalry trooper with the 11th cavalry, (the "black horse") in viet nam, and much of his early writing centered on that experience.
                          "gunner"

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 26, 2009
                            Greetings Gunner and All,

                            >> Drake needs to spend a bit of time hanging around real working Naval ships and personel if he is going to write about them. <<

                            Gunner Wrote ---
                            > david was a cavalry trooper with the 11th cavalry, (the "black horse") in vietnam, and much of his early writing centered on that experience. <

                            Apples and Oranges. Right???

                            I figure that if you are BIG NAME writer who is going to try and write about something of which you have no experience than you at least owe it to both your readers and yourself to take the time to do the research. Right???

                            Still, its a darn GOOD series!

                            SCI-FI ARMOR
                            --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
                          • festusdirk
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 26, 2009
                              --- In Sci-Fi_Armor@yahoogroups.com, "grauwulf" <grauwulf@...> wrote:

                              > I figure that if you are BIG NAME writer who is going to try and write about something of which you have no experience than you at least owe it to both your readers and yourself to take the time to do the research. Right???

                              bah, humbug. take Tom Clancy: selling like mad, but even his non-fiction works about actually visited units read like being researched from the local officers mess.
                            • grauwulf
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 27, 2009
                                Greetings Festus and All,

                                > bah, humbug. take Tom Clancy: selling like mad, but even his non-fiction works about actually visited units read like being researched from the local officers mess. <

                                I'll have to take your word on that one. I'm not big on ~ Modern ~ Fiction/Spy Thrillers/&&& (Alternate History???), or even much up for Current Military History either these days. Other than the Current actual Technology and Political Developments going on in the world. Though I did enjoy the movies that they did from some of his works.

                                If I switch tracks to something that doesn't at least contain ~ some ~ elements of Sci-Fi and/or Horror, or Era driven Historical Military Fiction to pure ~ Modern ~ Fiction it usually is Clive Cussler. But there again we are talking about somebody who actually does bother to do the research. --- At least it sure appears that way to me out the handful of his works that I have read.

                                Besides I never said that a writer needed to do research in order to ~ Sell ~ books. The shelves of EVERY genre imaginable are stuffed with those types. I said that he and his fans ~ DESERVE ~ it. — Or don't YOU think that YOU deserve better treatment for your money???

                                Yeah, I know, I'm a snob. What can I say. I guess that it just comes with age. –LOL