Yo Ho, Yo Ho!

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2009
      Greetings All,

      Having had the dubious pleasure a couple of weeks ago of personally being invited to leave my employer of eight faithful years of service to join the growing ranks of the --- unemployed with little to no future employment prospects during our current age of economic restructuring --- (or is THAT now a Job Title???) I am naturally very keen for any "Other" employment opportunities that might present themselves. ---

      It sure does seem to me that the ages old proud naval tradition of Open Piracy is still perhaps one of the best job ventures available that still reaps a grand profit for little risk. So what do ya all say??? Anyone else up for taking to the High Seas for Fun And Profit??? --- All together now! --- Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirates Life For ME!!! ---

      I wonder if the US Gov would provide American Pirates with Financial Bailout money if we would run that enterprise into the ground??? --- Yo Ho, Yo Ho!

      Somali Pirates Hijack Ship; 20 Americans Aboard.
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090408/ap_on_re_af/piracy

      What do You ALL think???

      SCI-FI ARMOR
      --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
    • david schnyer
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2009
        sympathy on your "redundance" and best luck finding a new job, i've been there a few times in my life.
        "gunner"

[...]

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Sci- Fi_Armor/

      • Rosedachs
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2009
          Sorry to hear this. My last job of seven years was offshored to India.
          Got an application at a local plant, so hopefully I be able to join the ranks of the gainfully employed. It's a good thing wife works at wallyworld because their health insurance is pretty good.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2009
            Greetings All,

            Thanks for the well wishes Guys!

            I didn't mean for it to sound like I was whining or something. What the heck, this is actually the first vacation that I have had in well over nine years so I guess that I should be grateful. (I just always assumed that vacations were to help relieve stress not compound it!!! --LOL) As things are its just a bit more tense this time around the old Unemployment Shuffle thanks to our current nation wide situation. (Everyone laying off and nobody hiring.) Ya get stuck spending WAY too much time watching the news networks. Having our new VP and the new chief of finance both saying that we won't be seeing an up turn for jobs until well into the middle of next year does nothing for my self confidence. --- But ~ HEY! ~ on that day they foresee there will be a lot more openings in ~ GREEN ~ focused employment opportunities!!! (Um, --- so is that Political Speak for there will be more of us competing with the Illegals for jobs picking veggies in the fields???) --- Yeah, ya just got to keep laughing to keep from going off the deep end. --LOL

            So Back On Topic ---
            How about them Somali "Pirates"??? --- They attack a ship. Have their boat SINK. Get driven back off the ship by their UNARMED American captives. Then steal a lifeboat that doesn't have any GAS. --- Yeah, a real ~ Terror Of The Seven Seas ~ that lot! I think that they would have been better off taking pirating lessons from Johnny Depp! --Yo Ho, Yo Ho! --LOL

            Well I guess that in all fairness that if the worse these "pirates" have to face is the French deploying a Special Ops team ~ AFTER ~ they pay the multi-billion dollar ransom demand to recover their then ~ Released ~ hostages they really shouldn't have to worry much about opposition to their endeavors. --- I guess somebody must have forgot to tell those darn Americans that there are actually RULES to this Pirate Game. --LOL

            I'm telling ya, Guys, we could RULE this gig!!! --- Yo Ho, Yo Ho!

            No wonder we don't see ~ Space Pirates ~ featured in Sci-Fi stories any more. These guys are giving them all bad reps!!!

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2009
              no space pirates? try the comics

              the link is to the opening splash page, the story begins/continues et. seq.
              "gunner"

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 11, 2009
                Greetings Gunner and All,

                LOL! --- Yeah, I think that pretty much emphasizes my point! --LOL

                When ya think about it ~ Pirates ~ and/or their slightly more legitimate cousins ~ Commerce Raiders ~ have got a darn tough job of it out there. Either on the High Seas or in the Depths Of Space. While the Navy gets to race around blowing up anything with an enemy flag a Pirate has to capture its prey ~ INTACT! Or there go the profits! --- This usually requires boarding a very hostile vessel with pretty much no clue as to what might be lurking around the next bend or behind that next hatch. --- Now THAT has got to be a tough gig!

                So do ya All figure that what with this Somali nonsense we can hope to see a return to the old sail powered trading companies traditions of maintaining a fighting force on board specifically to deal with these pirates??? -- Think that they will still hold the title of Marines or will they op out for a "friendlier" PC form such as – The Health & Safety Personal???