Steam Tech vs. VSF???

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
      Greetings All,

      Verne, Wells, Griffith, Burroughs, Kipling, Serviss, etc, etc, etc.
      Heck you can even throw in Lovecraft, Baum, Doyle, and a host of other
      well and lesser known full time and part time VSF writers from back in
      the day. What is the one thing that they ALL have in common??? ---

      They ALL invented Alternative Sources Of Power in order to breath life
      into their Infernal Machines!

      Not a single one ever even tried to rely on the Steam Technology
      available at hand during their life times. Why? Simply because when
      you live with a thing all of your life you get to know that thing
      pretty darn good. Even if you yourself are not a ~ Man Of Science ~
      you fully realize that the overwhelming limitations of power to weight
      incorporated within Coal Fired Boiler Steam Technology would never
      ever allow your dreams to take flight. Let alone even get from point A
      to point B whether that be by land, sea or air.

      So would Somebody please be so kind as to explain to me why it is that
      though current fans of VSF seem to have absolutely no problem at all
      in utilizing ANY and EVERY other form of Invented Weird
      Vintage/Classic ~ Scientific ~ Technology --- I.e.- liftwood,
      Calvorite, Lightning Guns, Death Rays, etc, etc, etc. --- They all
      bulk at the one thing that actually breathed life into those Great
      Machines???

      Why is it that only todays VSF fans/writers seem so locked in on the
      silly notion that if you can strap a boiler or a couple of smoke
      stacks to it you can make it work???

      Is it simply because boilers are such an unfamiliar item in todays
      world that folks just refuse to recognize the hard truths of this ~
      Ancient ~ technology???

      Have Boilers become the new ~ Magik Box ~ of todays world???

      Why is it that VSF fans won't touch those Classic VSF alternative
      power supplies???

      I have been puzzling over this for a LONG time. I just don't get it.
      --- Help???

      SCI-FI ARMOR
      --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
    • tsofian@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
        First Dan very nice post, would you be kind enough to cross post it over on the Hive, Queen and Country list, or may I do so, giving you full credit of course.

        I personnaly have been trying to get good alternative energy sources into HQC without killing the Victorian feel of the setting. Period writers didn't need to worry about their stories being "Too modern" they wanted them as modern as possible! They also didn't have to worry about 20/20 hind sight. If the super science power sources become real and widely used all sorts of fhtings happen (OK Wells did exactly thei in "The Shape of Things to Come" but that was a bit later.)

        The other thing I see is very few people in today's society know what steam can and cannot do. It is a technology that is no longer understood by the vast majority, so things that are patently immpossible technically are accepted without question by most readers.

        Good question!

        Terry

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
          Greetings Terry and All,

          I personnaly have been trying to get good alternative energy sources
          into HQC without killing the Victorian feel of the setting. Period
          writers didn't need to worry about their stories being "Too modern"
          they wanted them as modern as possible! They also didn't have to worry
          about 20/20 hind sight. If the super science power sources become real
          and widely used all sorts of fhtings happen (OK Wells did exactly thei
          in "The Shape of Things to Come" but that was a bit later.)<

          I find that the easiest way to limit a "New Tech" is simply to make it
          too dangerous, or too expensive, or too complicated, or too difficult
          to use or produce thus keeping it out of the reach of the general public.

          To me the Victorian or Edwardian or even the 60's setting of an
          environment is far more a byproduct of the local mindset than simply
          what machinery might be at hand. How a Victorian gentleman addresses
          and treats a person of lesser status (and visa versa) would not change
          if he did so standing in front of an old coal fired boiler or a
          nuclear reactor. A person is far more a product of his upbringing than
          his devises.

          Below is a "New Tech" alternative energy source I invented just this
          morning to give you an idea of those possible limits to which I
          referred. It might be a little rough around the edges since I haven't
          had much time yet to polish it up. It also retains the need for
          boilers and smoke stacks so it should help retain that "Victorian
          feel" you referred to. --LOL

          BTW – glad to hear you enjoyed ANTI-ICE!

          The Braxton Aether Enhancing Electrical Field Amplification Coil -- or
          as it is more commonly referred to as simply -- The Braxton Coil.

          History
          Dr. SJ Braxton first revealed and demonstrated the operation of his
          incredible coil to the general public within the Galerie des Machines
          at the Exposition Universelle (World's Fair) in 1889 held in Paris,
          France. Followed immediately that same month by the release of
          detailed articles in both Scientific American Magazine and the British
          Royal Science Academy Journal. Though he retained only certain limited
          patent rights to his device his only desire was to make the world a
          better place by freely sharing his invention with us all.
          Unfortunately for the world he met with an untimely death in an
          explosion while conducting further experiments with his coils only a
          year later.

          Explanation of operation.
          --- Coils produce an enhanced Aether field that magnifies any
          electrical current passing through it.
          --- Each Coil multiplies the input voltage by a factor of ten.
          --- Coils placed in series would increase the original voltage at
          10x10x10x10x10 etc. thus theoretically producing an unlimited source
          of self perpetuating power.

          Drawbacks
          --- Aether field generation produces extreme cold as a waste
          byproduct. Each exponential increase in output voltage produces an
          proportional decrease in field-coil temperature. Extreme cold can
          reach the point where coils become brittle and shatter.
          --- Empowered field coils that shatter always result in a catastrophic
          field collapse. Collapses are extremely dynamic with simultaneous
          collapses resulting in explosions that can only be measured in the
          megaton range.
          --- It is extremely vital that all operating coils be kept warm and at
          specified optimum operational design temperatures. (Oil Fired Boilers
          are the current standard method of providing the required circulatory
          heat source for stable Braxton Coil performance within high demand
          machinery. Ie. -- Land, Air, Aero and Naval vessels.)

          Additional Notes

          While conducting experiments utilizing the explosive potential of
          Braxton Coils as prospective weapons it was then first theorized that
          Catastrophic Field Collapses might be producing tears in the very
          fabric of the Aether itself.
          --- This produced much excitement within academic circles when it was
          further theorized that these tears might produce openings through
          Time, Space and Other dimensions. The potential of utilizing such
          openings for the purposes of travel and exploration has generated much
          further research and debate.
          --- A growing number of academics promote the theory and fear that
          these tears in the Aether will eventually produce a catastrophe of
          Armageddon type proportions. Of course this is as yet remains only a
          theory. However, it has had the effect of generating certain eccentric
          groups advocating the immediate stoppage of any further use of Braxton
          Coils and the complete disassembly and destruction of the same.
          --- A further offshoot are the number of religious and spiritualist
          groups who either fear or relish the notion that these tears might be
          drawing the attentions of Other Beings outside of our own realms of
          existence.

          SCI-FI ARMOR
          --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
        • david schnyer
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
            very interesting! and i'm amused at the description of the "nay sayers", almost sounding like opponents of nuclear power in the real world. i suspect it electricity were a fresh new discovery the same people would be calling to ban it as "too dangerous and expensive"
            "gunner"

            ************ ********* ********* ********* ******

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Sci- Fi Armor/

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 9, 2008

              Greetings Gunner and All,

              Glad to hear that ya liked it!!!

              Its funny how some of these things can take on a whole life of their own. I came up with this thing that night as a final solution to my frustration over my lack of ability to cobble together any other forms of real or VSF Tech to answer the needs of my Aero-Sloop-Of-War AVALON. (Yeah, it just ain't no FUN unless ya can make it all “Work”! --LOL)

              > very interesting! and i'm amused

              at the description of the "nay sayers", almost sounding like opponents of nuclear power in the real world. i suspect it electricity were a fresh new discovery the same people would be calling to ban it as "too dangerous and expensive" <

              Ya know, I just bet that there was folks way back when who complained that rubbing two sticks together was a – Bad Idea! --LOL

              Yet in the case of the Braxton Coil some of those fears may jolly well be justified! --- Read on below.

              (I said that I wasn't done. Hopefully I am now so that I might actually get some sleep nights!)

              Further Drawbacks

              --- Looping --- All Braxton Coils must be heavily shielded (Thick layers of wood and rubber seem sufficiently effective.) to prevent “Looping” or “Doubling” --- The intentional or accidental contamination of active coils by a reintroduction of; or an exposure to an additional external energy source. (Lightning and even large static electrical discharges have been known to disrupt Aether Fields in Braxton Coils.)

              --- Exposed coils loose all ability to form the required Aether field and must be removed and replaced or completely rebuilt. The rare elements that are integral to coil construction make this extremely cost prohibitive in todays market where these same elements are now in such an unprecedented demand. Such a state is likely to continue until new recourses or alternative substitutionary elements are discovered.

              The Braxton Mysteries

              What is The Source of the Braxton Coils “Unlimited” Power?

              --- With the Aether itself remaining still a vastly unknown or greatly misunderstood domain every Man of Science and Tool Shed Mechanic has pondered this very same question. As well to as whether or not this source of power is as unlimited as some claim or is it like a pond of water that might soon run dry? Many theorize that Braxton himself probably did not know these answers. Investigations by the Emperor's Own Imperial Investigation and Security Service (As well as several foreign and corporate agencies.) show this as being most likely the case.

              Dr. SJ Braxton the man himself.

              --- Unknown until his revelations at the Paris World's Fair IISS inquiries have revealed the following.

              ~ The name “Dr. Simon James Braxton” was self effected. Sonny Jones Brinkbottom was his true birth name.

              ~ “Braxton” never obtained his Doctor's degree. --- Having twice failed medical school (after a string of additional failed attempts at earning a living) Braxton declared himself a Doctor of Dentistry and established his failing dental surgery in one room of his three room flat located in the seedier waterfront district of Lexington. A small city in the Republic of California.

              ~ Though never revealing any outward displays of religious devotion when asked the source of the inspiration for his amazing device Braxton often claimed it was revealed to him in a dream one night by “Angels”.

              ~ Examinations of Braxton's basement laboratory reveal none of the typical signs of Trial & Error associated with the normal progressive development of mechanical devices. A journal discovered therein indicated much the same lack of progressive research, and contained the very same materials and notations (complete with grammatical errors) as were published in the Scientific American and other periodicals.

              Further

              --- Though not unusual in and of itself in the case of an explosion of such a magnitude as that which resulted in Braxton's death, it should be noted that no trace of either Braxton or his two assistants bodies was ever found.

              --- The identities of the two assistance have never been established among the continuing disparages in the descriptions of their physical appearances.

              In conclusion

              Though due to their currently highly unstable nature it is far from likely that you will ever find a Braxton Coil powering a trolley car down main street. As well to though a few automotive car builders have attempted to create Braxton powered sedans for their more affluent customers; most of these have found themselves restricted to the outer limits of cities since the tragedy that the press has dubbed “Ford's Folly”. Still that trolley car and numberless other electronic apparatus will surely soon find a place within our lives all being powered by electrical energy supplied by Braxton Coils. The race is most certainly on as more and more cities around the world scramble to build Braxton power plants in secluded urban regions, unused mines and abandoned rock quarries. The boom in the demands for copper wire, rubber, porcelain insulators, and all other products required to build Braxton Coils and channel the astounding powers of electricity right into our very homes has brought an incredible bounty of prosperity to our lives. Cities around the world have struggled to overcome constrictions, civil protest and even open acts of sabotage in an attempt to join in on the quest and to hold the much coveted title of being the very first truly modern --- All Electric City!

              Yet there still remains numerous unanswered questions. Foremost of which must be --- Who or what exactly are Braxton's “Angels”? If they are Other World Beings as some would suggest than what might be the true motives that dwell behind their amazing gift? A boon or the very means of our destruction? Perhaps it is indeed only time that can answer these questions.

              May the wisdom of the Emperor guide us all.

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 9, 2008
                and even more interesting are the quick glimpses of your world surrounding the "braxton coil", "the california republic" and calling for "the emperors guidance" as well as the somewhat dubious background and credentials of the late dr. braxton.
                "gunner"

                ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* **

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 9, 2008

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 9, 2008
                    ooops! sorry 'bout the "double tap", yahoo told me the post "encountered a problem", yahoo lied.
                    "gunner"

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 12, 2008
                      Greetings All,

                      We all love Emperor Roosevelt! Long may he reign over us!

                      LOL-- Again, glad to hear that you enjoyed the tiny peek behind the
                      curtain! Thanks!
                      Its all just my way of breathing ~ Life ~ into all of the
                      multi-various components that comprise my creation, --- the IAN
                      AVALON. Since my stuff doesn't really seem to dovetail very well into
                      any of those Other VSF type universes that are out there I figured ---
                      What the heck. I'll just build my own! (It is always safer for all if
                      we keep "certain people" confined to attics. --LOL) Who knows, maybe
                      when I win that Lottery I'll actually get the time to write a book or
                      three and unleash my twisted visions upon an unsuspecting world.
                      Now THAT would be FUN!!! <evil grin> LOL!

                      Long live the American Imperium!