Lost Worlds

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15, 2008
      Greetings All,

      From the deafening cacophony generated by raucous cyber crickets who's
      only accompaniment be the droning dirge of the dreaded deathwatch
      beetle one might presume that this List has now become a ---- Lost
      World!!!

      Halloo! --- Is there ANYBODY there????????

      Anybody else here enjoy those old Lost Word type stories???

      SCI-FI ARMOR
      --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
    • derailed@nbnet.nb.ca
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 15, 2008
        nobody here but us monkeys
        hehe

        glenn

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 21, 2008
          Greetings All,

          Recently I had a bit of interesting good luck while attempting to
          track down ~ Fantastic Forgotten Vintage Sci-Fi AFV. I stumbled across
          a reference to a very early ER Burroughs story that I had never read.
          THE LOST CONTINENT. I soon discovered that our local library actually
          had a copy of this rare story locked away within their second floor
          storage vaults. I received a number of surprises when I requested the
          book.

          First, it was a tiny ACE paperback in near mint condition. (unusual
          since our library rarely tracks or retains paperbacks) (mint with the
          exception of the typical numerous Library stampings.) I think that I
          may have been only the second person to have even opened these pages.
          The act of which had me sweating that the old bindings would crumble
          in my hands!!!

          The cover bore the original 60 Cent price (!!!) and was adorned with a
          very early Frank Frazetta ink & brush drawing!!! --- The hero and the
          leather bikini clad heroin facing down a pack of ravenous lions among
          ancient ruins. No less!

          Further this was the first paperback publication of the story and the
          very one in which the publisher changed the original title of the
          story from BEYOND THIRTY to THE LOST CONTINENT.

          Though this was one of ERB's earliest works it was all pure ~
          BURROUGHS ~ and a darn good bit of FUN! --- More FUN still getting to
          hold a small bit of Sci-Fi history!

          BTW that FFVS-FAFV that started the hunt --- An AERO-SUBMARINE. --- I
          am still hunting details, but from the book I know it used a ~
          Gravity Screen Generator ~ not only for flight, but in place of
          submergence bouncy tanks as well. Plus she seems to have been able to
          use the same rudders and propellers to navigate both elements of air
          and water equally as well. --- Yeah, ERB could invent some interesting
          machines. --LOL

          *** Yet ANOTHER bit of good luck! --- I obtained a copy of the MOON
          POOL by Abraham Merritt, originally published in 1919. I can see why
          he was HP Lovecraft's favorite writer!!!! --- GREAT STUFF!!!

          Abraham Merritt
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Merritt

          Anybody else here have any Favorite LOST WORLDS that they like to
          explore???

          SCI-FI ARMOR
          --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
        • kenneth crowell/widget6815
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 21, 2008

            NICE find there !  And in such fine condition too.I remember reading ERBs Lost Continant WAY BACK in
            the mid '70s. I think that this type of literature was refered to as Scientic Romance
            in the period that it was written. As for Merritt,see if you can locate a copy of "The Dwellers in the Mirage".

            Others? Otis Adelbert Kline and Manly Wade Wellman among others. Klines' "Tam,Son of the Tiger" was one of the first
            "grown-up" books I read back in pre-history (late '60s)
            I didn't discover Wellman untill the '80s.

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Sci- Fi_Armor/

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 22, 2008
              Greetings Kenneth and All,

              > As for Merritt, see if you can locate a copy of "The Dwellers in the Mirage". <

              I am also trying to track down a copy of his THE METAL MONSTER (1920) and THE SHIP OF ISHTAR (1924). It is sure easy to see where HP Lovecraft got a lot of his inspiration.

              Frustrating. To bad we can not still use those order forms that are in the back of these old books. My Avalon edition of THE MOON POOL lists nearly all of his works that I would like to obtain. ~ AND ~ at ONLY $1.79 a copy plus 25 cents S&H!!! --- Boy, those were the days!

              > Others? Otis Adelbert Kline and Manly Wade Wellman among others.  <

              Funny thing, for some reason I have not had all that much luck getting my hands on Wellman’s books. I have been trying for years to get a good copy of his SHERLOCK HOLMES’S WAR OF THE WORLDS [With Wade Wellman] (1975). The few that I find are overpriced and badly used.

              THANKS! For the reminder about OA Kline’s works!!! I don’t know how I could have forgotten him and the infamous/supposed “Kline-Burroughs Feud”!!! (What do you think about the Feud???) --- I have added him to our SCI-FI ARMOR > Links > The Writers section. Both the Wiki and the Project Gutenberg - Australia sites.

              Anybody else have any Lost World heroes, writers or stories they enjoy???

              Otis Adelbert Kline - Wiki
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otis_Adelbert_Kline

              SHERLOCK HOLMES’S WAR OF THE WORLDS - Wiki
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes%27s_War_of_the_Worlds

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 22, 2008
                then there's leigh brackett's "mars" stories,
                actually spread over a whole mythic solar system
                with venus as a hot jungle world and mars an
                ancient, dying planet.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Brackett_Solar_System

                and c.l. moore, i had the pleasure of meeting
                catherine briefly at a world sci-fi con in denver
                back in the '80s. her "no woman born" is a
                classic early cyborg story. (i have a copy of the
                "best of c.l. moore" anthology pictured on the
                web page.)

                http://frankenstein.lcc.gatech.edu/NoWomanBorn.html

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._L._Moore

                "gunner"
              • david schnyer
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 22, 2008
                  "ship of ishtar" is the better of the two i
                  think, i'm not sure if i still have a copy of it,
                  its been a long time since i dug that deep in my
                  old paperbacks, but if you can find a copy i
                  recommend it as a good fantasy tale. it looks as
                  if amazon might have links to used copies in
                  paperback.

                  http://www.amazon.com/Ship-Ishtar-Merritt/dp/0380009293

                  http://www.encyclocentral.com/23272-A_Merritt_Fantasy_Fiction_The_Ship_Of_Ishtar_And_Seven_Footprints_to_Satan_Writer.html

                  "gunner"
                • david schnyer
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 22, 2008
                    here's the wikipedia entry on manly wade wellman,
                    with a fairly extensive bibliography that might
                    help ypur search. he's well known for his "silver
                    john" stories but there's more to his work.
                    "gunner"

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manly_Wade_Wellman
                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 28, 2008
                      Greetings Gunner and All,

                      Great Tips!! I have added CL Moore and Leigh Brackett to our ever
                      growing list of writers. ( I had included MW Wellman sometime back.)
                      Thanks for the suggestions! --- You know you guys could add your own
                      favorite writers to our Lists yourselves. That way it won't look so
                      much like Dan's Blog in there. --LOL)

                      SCI-FI ARMOR > Links > The Writers
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sci-Fi_Armor/links/The_Writers_001188657477

                      I had heard that SHIP OF ISHTAR was pretty much more a Sword & Sorcery
                      type piece so I have been hoping to actually get a hold of METAL
                      MONSTER as more of a first choice. But I will happily grab either if I
                      see them. Unfortunately, our library only has THE MOON POOL
                      available. (A GOOD FUN read! -- IF you can get around all of the very
                      heavy prose.) A pretty sad statement considering A Merritt's standing
                      as a writer of his day. Also unfortunately, Amazon's used book dealers
                      hit ya for a minimum $3.99 S&H on those USED 60 cent paperbacks. With
                      the S&H being cumulative and not entitled to any discounts via Amazon.
                      Granted that at today's gas prices that may not sound too bad, but --
                      heck, that's almost a GALLON of gas! I kinda hit my S&H limit when I
                      snuck in George Griffith's THE ANGLE OF THE REVOLUTION in on an order
                      of a series of books for my granddaughter's upcoming birthday. So for
                      now I am trying to stick with just the local Used Bookstores and save
                      myself a couple of bucks. But you can bet my Amazon Wish List is still
                      stocked full!!! --- COME ON LOTTERY! --LOL

                      George Griffith -- Wiki
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Griffith