Re: Neat video of Boston Dynamics Big Dog Robot

  • widget6815
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
      --- In Sci-Fi_Armor@yahoogroups.com, Grauwolf <grauwulf@...> wrote:

      > Greetings Robert and All,
      >
      > > Now imagine that it is forty feet tall, with a compartment up
      front
      > for people and weapons. <

      *SNIP*

      > What are your thoughts????
      >
      > Anybody????
      >
      > Still, in all, ya got to admit ---- it is VERY Cool!
      >

      > Keep It FUN! */SNIP*

      IMO,The 40 foot tall 4 legged armored walker from those movies was
      intended to be a terror weapon used against anyone who opposed
      themain badguy in those movies. They didn't HAVE to make tactical
      sence.

      ______________

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 5, 2008
        Greetings Widget and All,

        > IMO,The 40 foot tall 4 legged armored walker from those movies was
        intended to be a terror weapon used against anyone who opposed
        themain badguy in those movies. They didn't HAVE to make tactical
        sence. <

        No doubt. A single Mech such as with Dr Loveless' Spider, or a one
        sided incursion force such as the Imperial Walkers of Star Wars are
        most certainly Instruments of Terror. Yet once that initial Terror
        fades even Demented Teddy Bears (Ewoks) don't seem to have much of a
        problem finding ways of taking them out.

        What I was considering was the seemingly far more abundant Mech
        populations found in now nearly all forms of the Gaming Community and
        in much of the current MSF literature. These far more often involve
        walking armored units if not whole armies of Mechs slugging it out. ---
        The part I find confusing is that in most cases these Mechs are often
        portrayed as being far more combat effective then any available form of
        conventional ground hugging armor. --- Personally, I think that it all
        revolves around some sort of Godzilla complex, but what do I know?
        --LOL

        What I would really like is to have someone explain to me just how
        these Mechs make for better combat units over the lowly Tank. ---
        Anyone????

        I mean --- sure they LOOK Cool --- BUT --- can they Fight???

        SCI-FI ARMOR
        --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.

      • kenneth crowell/widget6815
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 5, 2008
          I have to agree with you an that. And there's the whole "ground pressure" thing to concider with any large walker type. Give mr one of Hammers' "Blowers" any day. Tho they have "real world problems too,Ground effect isn't the most efficient mode for movement,the traction sucks for one thing. ;)

          Grauwolf <grauwulf@...> wrote:
          Greetings Widget and All,

          > IMO,The 40 foot tall 4 legged armored walker from those movies was
          intended to be a terror weapon used against anyone who opposed
          themain badguy in those movies. They didn't HAVE to make tactical
          sence. <

          No doubt. A single Mech such as with Dr Loveless' Spider, or a one
          sided incursion force such as the Imperial Walkers of Star Wars are
          most certainly Instruments of Terror. Yet once that initial Terror
          fades even Demented Teddy Bears (Ewoks) don't seem to have much of a
          problem finding ways of taking them out.

          What I was considering was the seemingly far more abundant Mech
          populations found in now nearly all forms of the Gaming Community and
          in much of the current MSF literature. These far more often involve
          walking armored units if not whole armies of Mechs slugging it out. ---
          The part I find confusing is that in most cases these Mechs are often
          portrayed as being far more combat effective then any available form of
          conventional ground hugging armor. --- Personally, I think that it all
          revolves around some sort of Godzilla complex, but what do I know?
          --LOL

          What I would really like is to have someone explain to me just how
          these Mechs make for better combat units over the lowly Tank. ---
          Anyone????

          I mean --- sure they LOOK Cool --- BUT --- can they Fight???

          SCI-FI ARMOR
          --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Sci- Fi_Armor/

          http://tc.deals. yahoo.com/ tc/blockbuster/ text5.com

        • Dan
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 6, 2008
            Greetings Kenneth and All,

            > Give mr one of Hammers' "Blowers" any day. Tho they have "real world
            problems too,Ground effect isn't the most efficient mode for
            movement,the traction sucks for one thing. <

            It can get worse. ----- Recently I came across a ~ STEAM ~ powered
            Blower! Go figure THAT one out! --LOL

            I am a full blown, true blue, dyed in the wool, never say never,
            Techno Magik Junkie. ---- So I really have absolutely NO problems with
            accepting the Unbelievable. It is just those parts were the ~ Real ~
            is suppose to be attached and just ---- well, ---- ain't. That's were
            I start to ask a lot of questions. --- My BIG One -----

            Is this suppose to be ~ SCIENCE ~ Fiction, or just some sort of purely
            make it ALL up as you go along Techno based FANTASY????

            It just seems to me that lately the Techno Fantasy has been pretty
            much obliterating all traces of the Science that once was found in
            Sci-Fi. --- Or maybe I'm just getting old! --LOL

            What do you all think????

            SCI-FI ARMOR
            --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
          • david schnyer
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 6, 2008
              interesting coincidence, in a fairly recent
              episode of phil foglio's online comic "girl
              genius" one of his chatacters blows away a huge
              armoured walking fighting machine with his
              "lightning ray gun".
              "gunner"

            • thrudd2003
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 7, 2008
                Try playing earthsiege sometime. You walk along in your mech but if
                jets appear better put your weapons on automatic tracking or forget
                about it. Tanks are mech killers and almost impossible to destroy in
                spite of being under-armoured.

                The only way I can see walking mechs being effective weapons is in a
                world where ranged weapons are somehow ineffective.

                In Star wars they packed really big shield generators which made them
                virtually impervious to energy weapons (and everything was strangely
                vulnerable to solid blows, give some race slug throwers and missiles
                and they would clean up).

                In another world give them all some very very effective form of
                anti-missile/anti-artillery tech (shooting down missiles with bullets
                etc.) and enough armour to shrug off anything small. Height could be
                touted as a positive factor since it gives them a better platform for
                spotting incoming. Of course their own ranged weapons would be just
                as ineffective against their targets promoting the use of big swords
                and flame throwers.

                In Dune they had shields which only slow moving objects could
                penetrate, they could take a nuclear blast but not a a guy walking
                along (chain sword anyone?). Of course you would need to remove the
                explosive effect of laz guns against them or using a shield would be
                frankly suicidal.

                I like my fantasy mechs. No real ordinance to avoid, and you can make
                them out of things a guy with an axe could reasonably be expected to
                chop through. Nothing like climbing up an enemy mech's leg and
                cutting a cable to the accompaniment of a great blast of steam and
                watching his left leg buckle.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 13, 2008
                  Greetings Thrudd and All,

                  > The only way I can see walking mechs being effective weapons is in a
                  world where ranged weapons are somehow ineffective.

                  In Star wars they packed really big shield generators which made them
                  virtually impervious to energy weapons <

                  I agree with everything. It was also the trick that they used in the
                  movie versions of WAR OF THE WORLDS. Perhaps, as with WotW what we
                  weren't seeing in STAR WARS was that Luke &Co. had to get inside of
                  those shields to actually do their damage. The Rope Trick was workable
                  do to the fact that if their shields extended below their feet these
                  AT-AT s would not be able to walk. Thus leaving them vulnerable at the
                  very ground level. --- Then again, in SW they also utilize Ceramic
                  Coatings on their armor to help deflect energy weapons at close range.

                  Personally, I would think that the very first form of Energy Shielding
                  to be developed would have to be verses solid objects. At the very
                  least each and every one of these Flashy Spaceships would require
                  continues protection from small particles (Such as in STAR TREK's
                  Deflector Arrays.) that would otherwise quickly turn their ships into
                  Swiss cheese. This same Techno Magik could then hopefully be applied
                  to ground armor.

                  And once again, an equally equipped and shielded Tank would still hold
                  all of the advantages.

                  > I like my fantasy mechs. No real ordinance to avoid, and you can make
                  them out of things a guy with an axe could reasonably be expected to
                  chop through. Nothing like climbing up an enemy mech's leg and
                  cutting a cable to the accompaniment of a great blast of steam and
                  watching his left leg buckle. <

                  Hmmm --- A Weapon Suggestion For Ya. ---- During the ACW a number of
                  Ironclad Ships used grease on their hulls to deter boarders as well as
                  helping to deflect shot. In addition they often mounted fixed Steam
                  Nozzles or manned Steam Hoses as a nasty surprise for boarding parties.

                  By this same token would not a Sci-Fi Mech utilize Anti-Personal
                  devices (Claymores, etc) to protect itself from the likes of Luke and
                  other forms of close infantry assaults?????