RE: [SavoryFare_Too] Any brewers or distillers

  • lena bodge
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2005
      hi,i make homemade wine and brandy have a batch of wild grape brewing now..
      it's pretty easy to make 2-QT's Grape's -<<MASH WELL>>add 6Cups of Sugar
      let sit 2 weeks Shake/Stir daily to make sure it blends well then ADD
      1GALLON
      of Luck Warm Water & 4 Cups of Sugar mix really well <Re-Squeeze>grapes by
      hand then
      Strain put in JUG's this will make right at 2-Gallons of Wine Put balloon
      over jug mouth
      then after about 2 weeks put on lid loosely burp once daily for about 10
      days then tighten lids
      and let sit for about 30 days makes a great wine this wine can be made with
      grapes,peaches,
      plums,blue berrys,black berrys,..or even wild black cherrys..if the fruit
      does'nt have much
      juice add #1 cup of Apple Juice or #1 cup of Welches Pure Grape Juice..
      depending on the one you like best<G>..

      lena @ kountry k's stables-ApHC-AQHA-TB-all foundation bred.
      http://communities.msn.com/breedingstablesandstuds

      >Good evening all
      >Are there any brewers or distillers on this list i want to invite you
      >to a new list.Dedicated to the discussion of brewing of beer,ale,wine
      >and the distilling of fine spirts
      >Here is the link
      >groups.yahoo.com/group/Historical_brewing_and_distilling/
      >yh&os
      >Chuck

    • Springsberry Farms
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi, I have a friend that is promising to invite me over when she puts down
        some mead sometimes this week or so. We are working on apple cider vinegar.
        I need a lot if I get it right, as I use it in my stock water here on the
        farm as well as my own 'tonic'. She gave me the dregs of her organic store
        apple cider vinegar to use in starting my own. Anyone here make their own
        ACV? Any cautions to share? Tips?

        (Oh, hi there Lena!)

        Laura in PA
        *Chief Shepherdess of Springsberry
        *AngoraBunns*Alpaca*Llama*PortaBella

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
          I've made vinegar two ways. Just let apple cider naturally ferment or
          deseed and use apple peelings, windfalls etc, put in a gallon jar, cover
          with tepid water and wait.
          The cider vinegar was more acidic and more flavorful.
          Vinegar is a really good way to use apples that are culls.
          You can hasten fermentation by putting a Tbl of yeast in it and the
          finishing time depends a lot on how warm the area is you are fermenting
          in.
          If you do not have the materials to press your own cider you can
          purchase pasturized cider and pitch some yeast in it.
          Roxanne
        • Bob Spencer
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
            >Roxanne wrote:

            > If you do not have the materials to press your own cider you can
            >purchase pasturized cider and pitch some yeast in it.

            Someone help me out here, please. I've never made vinegar or hard cider,
            and I'm apparently confused about them.

            It is my impression that if you ferment apple juice/cider either naturally
            or by adding yeast, you wind up with hard cider, not vinegar. Hard cider
            has alcohol in it, produced by the yeast, but no acetic acid.

            To make vinegar, you start with a dilute solution of alcohol, say that hard
            cider, and innoculate it with a culture of bacteria, acetobacter, which
            converts the alcohol into acid, acetic acid. That makes it into vinegar.
            That culture of acetobacter is called 'mother of vinegar', or so I thought.

            So, can you just add yeast to cider or allow cider or apple peelings, etc.,
            to ferment naturally and end up with vinegar? Are there acetobacter enough
            in the environment that you can depend on it happening naturally?

            Bob
          • bzquiltn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
              In a message dated 11/2/2005 12:10:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              elementalclay@... writes:

              apple peelings, windfalls etc, put in a gallon jar, cover
              with tepid water and wait.

              Okay - be more specific here. Are you saying that I can take all the apple
              peelings from the apples that I peeled to make applesauce and make apple
              cider vinegar with them??? And to think, I've been giving them and the cores to
              hubby to spread around while he's hunting! Hmpfh!

              And - what are windfalls? Apples that have fallen from the trees on their
              own?

              Diane

            • elementalclay@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                Bob,
                I can remember making 30 gallons of apple wine that was just plain
                apple juice about 30 some years ago. First it turned into wine and then
                it turned into vinegar. Was I ever disappointed as I didn't know the
                virtue of ACV at that time.
                The apples I use are organic apples off the neighbors tree and I rinse
                them but do not wash them.
                All I know is let it sit and in about six to nine months it makes
                vinegar. It ferments first but since one adds no sugar the little bit
                that is there quickly turns to alcohol.
                Even a pricy bottle of Openheimer krotenbrunen will be vinegar if it
                is too old. Learned my lesson on that one when I bought several bottles
                on close out.
                To make my hard cider, I make a low sugar wine and then freeze distill
                it. I've got a batch going right now that needs the grated apple
                strained out.
                Roxanne
              • elementalclay@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                  Here is a site that talks about how to make vinegar.
                  <http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/vinegar-making.html>
                  I don't use a hydrometer for vinegar and I do use a sterile glass gallon
                  jar with white cotton sheeting covering the opening. You can tie it
                  around the jars neck but I use a rubber band.
                  Roxanne
                • elementalclay@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                    Yes, Diane, you can take your apple peelings and use them to make
                    vinegar.
                    Windfalls, apples that have fallen from the tree and are bruised, also
                    make good vinegar. You don't even need to remove the bruise if the peel
                    isn't pierced or obviously rotting.
                    Roxanne
                  • bzquiltn@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                      In a message dated 11/2/2005 7:40:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      elementalclay@... writes:

                      You don't even need to remove the bruise if the peel
                      isn't pierced or obviously rotting.

                      Okay, so how does one make acv with whole apples?

                      Those of you with experience - no laughing!! I haven't a clue how to do
                      this, so my questions may seem very, very elemental and kindergarden to you. :-)

                      Diane

                    • Mary
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                        Hi Diane,

                        I, like you, require specific directions too! Please don't apologize for the desire to learn...it is a wonderful pursuit:-)

                        Mary

                      • elementalclay@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                          Dianne,
                          Nobody should even have a grin on their face as we all started from
                          scratch at some point even if it was at our grandma's aprons.
                          You will find it is much easier for me to find a website that gives
                          you instructions than write them out.
                          This one should tell you all you need to know, I hope.
                          <http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1971_November_December/The_Homemade_Kind>
                          Roxanne
                        • bzquiltn@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                            In a message dated 11/2/2005 9:02:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                            elementalclay@... writes:

                            You will find it is much easier for me to find a website that gives
                            you instructions than write them out.

                            Works for me! Thanks. :-)

                            Diane

                          • elementalclay@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                              Diane,
                              I hope the site told you everything you needed to know but the room
                              temp has a lot to do with the length of time a vinegar finishes.
                              One friend only makes wine in the summer because it stalls out and
                              then one is tempted to jump start it with more yeast.
                              One bit of advise I would like to pass along is make the youth pay
                              attention and write down your recipes.
                              If I knew what my grandfather knew and did I could flood this list with
                              posts. As it is I continually try to remember what I witnessed as a
                              child.
                              He made the best hardtack and head cheese and never wrote down his
                              recipes.
                              Remind me to dig out a most excellent spice cake that I can date back
                              to at least 1890's as it was my grandmothers aunts recipe.
                              Roxanne