Introducing myself

  • Jill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2009
      Greetings, all -- I thought I'd drop a quick note to the group now that I'm a new member.

      I got interested in hearth cooking after taking a class at a local historical site (Missouri Town 1855). I had also taken some fire pit cooking classes in the Society for Creative Anachronism, of which I have been a member for the past 30 years.

      I have since taught classes on hearth cooking using medieval recipes and my motley collection of cast iron and ceramic pots, pans and dutch ovens.

      I'm going to branch out soon into rendering lard and churning butter...more good stuff to cook with!

      Looking forward to being part of this group and learning more!

      Yours Sincerely,

      Jill
    • Dan Lambert
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2009
        You are in a good area there, Jill. You should go over to Fort Osage and
        meet up with the living history group over there. I know a number of
        them, and they are super people.

        I'm sure that you know about Fort Osage, and wonder if your family might
        have some connection to the fort in the past.

        Dan

        On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 02:41 +0000, Jill wrote:

        > Greetings, all -- I thought I'd drop a quick note to the group now
        > that I'm a new member.
        >
        > I got interested in hearth cooking after taking a class at a local
        > historical site (Missouri Town 1855). I had also taken some fire pit
        > cooking classes in the Society for Creative Anachronism, of which I
        > have been a member for the past 30 years.
        >
        > I have since taught classes on hearth cooking using medieval recipes
        > and my motley collection of cast iron and ceramic pots, pans and dutch
        > ovens.
        >
        > I'm going to branch out soon into rendering lard and churning
        > butter...more good stuff to cook with!
        >
        > Looking forward to being part of this group and learning more!
        >
        > Yours Sincerely,
        >
        > Jill

      • Jill
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 24, 2009
          Greetings, Dan!

          Yes, I do know about Fort Osage! I haven't been out there yet, but I've got their calendar of activities, and am planning to head out there some weekend soon. I don't think the branch Sibley family I married into are of the same branch of the Sibleys that were associated with the fort, although it's possible that there was a common ancestor in there somewhere. (We joke that it would be funny to move to Sibley, MO and say "Why yes...we're the Sibleys from Sibley.")