Re: New Years Dinner

  • yourmeanmom
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
      Here in Ohio, we have a huge German tradition to our food. The food
      to eat on New Year's Day is Pork and sauerkraut. The pork can be in
      the form of a roast, chops or sausage. I've seen all of them.
      Usually the meat and kraut are cooked together. Some add potatoes,
      some add apples, some add caraway seed.

      I don't get on here often, but I do enjoy the site. I am just now
      checking my e-mail after 10 days. I have been very busy and just
      haven't had the time!
      Rebecca Hart

      --- In SavoryFare_Too@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Humphrey"
      <hardluckhumphrey@n...> wrote:

      > Members,
      > Just like Thanksgiving and Christmas, New Years Day has some
      > traditional Dishes, served in various locales and by various ethinic
      > groups. My maternal Grandfather(half Scot & half Choctaw) insisted
      > that Blackeyed peas and Smoked Hog jowl be served or the year would be
      > unlucky.
      >
      > Weigh in with your family or ethinic traditions. I'd love to try some
      > different dishes and learn about traditions.
      >
      > Hardluck

    • Correus
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
        Interesting....Oneof my wife'sandminefavorite
        recipes is a Bavarian dish consisting of
        porkchops/kraut/potatoes and apples all cooked
        together.

        Larry in Kansas