Receipt helpneeded!!!

  • Correus
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 30, 2005
      Greetings!

      I have an article from the October/November 2000
      issue of "The Herb Companion" called "Pilgrims'
      Progress". It deals with the food served at the
      first Thanksgiving feast. I am having problems
      with making Pumpion Pie. Following is the
      receipt:

      "Cut a hole in the top of a Pumpion and take out
      all the insides, and put bye the seeds, and put
      it in a pipkin and fill the body with crab apple
      pieces and spices [allspice, cinnamon, ginger]
      and halfe a pint of Honey and somme Milke and set
      in an oven until tender."

      When I make this the milk curdles. Do any of you
      know how I can keep this from happening?

      Also, there are several other receipts for the
      time period if anyone wants me to pass them on.

      YMH&OS
      Larry

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
    • Lee Humphrey
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 30, 2005
        Larry,
        Leave out the Crabapples. The acid is curddling the milk.
        Try substituting a sweeter apple like Golden Delicious.

        Hardluck

        --- In SavoryFare_Too@yahoogroups.com, Correus <correus@y...> wrote:

        > Greetings!
        >
        > I have an article from the October/November 2000
        > issue of "The Herb Companion" called "Pilgrims'
        > Progress". It deals with the food served at the
        > first Thanksgiving feast. I am having problems
        > with making Pumpion Pie. Following is the
        > receipt:
        >
        > "Cut a hole in the top of a Pumpion and take out
        > all the insides, and put bye the seeds, and put
        > it in a pipkin and fill the body with crab apple
        > pieces and spices [allspice, cinnamon, ginger]
        > and halfe a pint of Honey and somme Milke and set
        > in an oven until tender."
        >
        > When I make this the milk curdles. Do any of you
        > know how I can keep this from happening?
        >
        > Also, there are several other receipts for the
        > time period if anyone wants me to pass them on.
        >
        > YMH&OS
        > Larry
        >

        > __________________________________
        > http://farechase.yahoo.com

      • Correus
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 30, 2005
          Sorry about that. didn't have Crabapples the
          first time so I used Fuji apples. Do you think
          heating up the spices, honey and milk FIRST in a
          double boiler, orsuch and then pouring it in the
          pumpkin would help?

          I am also thinking about finding a way to make it
          more like a bread pudding so that the pumpkin can
          be sliced like a cake. As it is you scoop out
          the apple mix (its very runny) and then cutup the
          pumpkin. Any ideas on this?

          Larry

          P.S. Anyone know where to by a reflocter oven or
          how to make one? Tash Tudor uses one for
          everyday use in here fireplace.

          --- Lee Humphrey <hardluckhumphrey@...>

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ray in Atlanta GA
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
            Try this link. You may wish to adjust materials to make it fit the
            desired time period. http://usscouts.org/cooking/reflector.htm
            Ray in Atlanta GA

          • Addyroy@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
              HI all,

              Although not a reenactor, Think it would be ever so much fun and have
              enormous respect for those so who do. Used to camp quite a lot and am so very
              interested in history, so this reenacting seems like it would be an ideal thing.
              Unfortunately, am not actually acquainted with anyone here in the Hudson Valley
              who does this sort of thing.

              I've taken quite a number of open hearth cooking classes at one of the
              historic sites, Van Cortlandt Manor and enjoyed that utterly. Another one coming up
              very soon too. Nonetheless, feel I am only a neophyte when it comes to all
              this, after reading what others do and how they live. Amazing! I guess the
              pioneer spirit is still a part of so many.

              If I may offer a possible explanation for the curdling of the milk in pumpkin
              (pumpion) pudding? There actually may be two causes. One is the use of
              crabapples, which tend to be very acidic and as we all may be aware milk and acidic
              things do not mix. The other may be quick and extreme heat. I wonder if you
              cooked to some degree all the ingredients except the crab apples, outside your
              pumpkin and when it reached a certain point (that point being an unknown, but
              would imagine very hot indeed). And whilst this was all going on your Pumpkin
              and crab apples therein are warming and getting cooked as well, but not
              entirely. Then putting your very hot dairy concoction in the pumpkin and praying all
              the while. Perhaps this might work for you. Good luck to you!

              Best Regards of the Day,
              CJ
              "Come said the wind to the leaves one day,
              Come o're the meadows and we will play.
              Put on your dresses scarlet and gold,
              For summer is gone and the days grow cold."

            • Addyroy@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                Correus <correus@...> Larry wrote:

                -Snip-

                Sorry about that.  didn't have Crabapples the first time so I used Fuji
                apples.  Do you think
                heating up the spices, honey and milk FIRST in a double boiler, or such and
                then pouring it in the pumpkin would help?

                -Snip-
                Dear Larry,

                Apple generally are very acidic and therefore will tend to curdle milk. My
                personal feeling is that both should be heated, as the apples may give up some
                of there acidic qualities if cooked.

                Best Regards of the Day,
                CJ
                "Come said the wind to the leaves one day,
                Come o're the meadows and we will play.
                Put on your dresses scarlet and gold,
                For summer is gone and the days grow cold."

              • chuck smith
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                  Correus
                  Here u go try here http://www.cg-tinsmith.com/

                  Chuck

                  Correus wrote:
                  > P.S. Anyone know where to by a reflocter oven or
                  > how to make one? Tash Tudor uses one for
                  > everyday use in here fireplace.

                  Living history 18th century Fire fireplace

                • Dan Lambert
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                    I am the Communications Director for a national organization of Living
                    Historians, and we have members in the Hudson Valley region that would be
                    interested in having you come along and learn at your own pace.

                    We cover the time period from 1600 to 1840, and you make the choice
                    regarding what period and area you portray. We don't have a guideline that
                    demands that you meet a certain level within a certain time frame, but we do
                    highly encourage you to make continuous improvement in your persona as you
                    learn more about the time period you've chosen.

                    If this is of interest, contact me off list, and I'll send you more
                    information and you can decide for yourself if this is something that
                    interests you.

                    Dan

                    _____

[...]

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "SavoryFare_Too
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SavoryFare_Too> " on the web.

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    _____

                  • Ray in Atlanta GA
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                      I must be doing something wrong, but I, couldn't find one in there. If
                      you merely wish to by something try
                      http://www.wisementrading.com/outdoorcooking/outdoorbaking.htm $30.00
                      or a very expensive 1800's period piece is at
                      http://www.tombstoneoutfitters.com/store/cwcopperware5.htm?OVRAW=reflector%2Boven&OVKEY=reflector%20oven&OVMTC=standard

                      lots of stuff can be found by using webcrawler and searching for
                      reflector oven.

                      I personally find webcrawler to be far superior to any other search engine.

                      just my $00.02

                      Ray in Atlanta GA

                      chuck smith wrote:
                      > Correus
                      > Here u go try here http://www.cg-tinsmith.com/
                      >
                      > Chuck
                      > Ray in Atlanta GA <houhe01@...> wrote:
                      > Try this link. You may wish to adjust materials to make it fit the
                      > desired time period. http://usscouts.org/cooking/reflector.htm
                      > Ray in Atlanta GA
                      >
                      > Correus wrote:
                      >
                      >>P.S. Anyone know where to by a reflocter oven or
                      >>how to make one? Tash Tudor uses one for
                      >>everyday use in here fireplace.

                      > Living history 18th century Fire fireplace

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Correus
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 2, 2005
                        Thanks

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 2, 2005
                          Thank you. I will give your suggestions a try!

                          --- Addyroy@... wrote:

                          > Correus <correus@...> Larry wrote:
                          >
                          > -Snip-
                          >
                          > Sorry about that.  didn't have Crabapples the
                          > first time so I used Fuji
                          > apples.  Do you think
                          > heating up the spices, honey and milk FIRST in
                          > a double boiler, or such and
                          > then pouring it in the pumpkin would help?
                          >
                          > -Snip-

                          > Dear Larry,
                          >
                          > Apple generally are very acidic and therefore
                          > will tend to curdle milk. My
                          > personal feeling is that both should be heated,
                          > as the apples may give up some
                          > of there acidic qualities if cooked.
                          >
                          > Best Regards of the Day,
                          > CJ
                          > "Come said the wind to the leaves one day,
                          > Come o're the meadows and we will play.
                          > Put on your dresses scarlet and gold,
                          > For summer is gone and the days grow cold."

                          > removed]

                          __________________________________
                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Correus
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 2, 2005
                            Thanks!

                            --- chuck smith <longhunter17692002@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Correus
                            > Here u go try here http://www.cg-tinsmith.com/
                            >
                            > Chuck
                            > Ray in Atlanta GA <houhe01@...> wrote:
                            > Try this link. You may wish to adjust materials
                            > to make it fit the
                            > desired time period.
                            > http://usscouts.org/cooking/reflector.htm
                            > Ray in Atlanta GA
                            >
                            > Correus wrote:
                            > > P.S. Anyone know where to by a reflocter oven
                            > or
                            > > how to make one? Tash Tudor uses one for
                            > > everyday use in here fireplace.

                            > Living history 18th century Fire fireplace

                            > email to:

                            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------

                            > removed]

                            __________________________________
                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • chuck smith
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 2, 2005
                              your welcome
                              Chuck

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 9, 2005
                                SavoryFare_Too group:

                                Are you a living historian

                                o yes
                                o no

                                web site listed above.

                                Thanks!
                              • Springsberry Farms
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 9, 2005
                                  Hmm,...where's the third choice---"living anachronism" ?

                                  Laura in PA

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 3, 2006
                                    SavoryFare_Too group:

                                    Would you care to participate in a "Cookout"
                                    in Lochapoka Alabama?

                                    If so, what month would you prefer?

                                    o Yes
                                    o NO