News from Diamond Fork

  • Jim Catano
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2012
      1. In the past week or so, the trail to the springs have been
      improved. Several of the washouts that cross the trail have been
      leveled, the guardrail at those ten or so precarious spots has been
      reinstalled, and the trial has even been rerouted for a couple hundred
      feet higher up on the hillside toward the top of the lower trail to
      avoid that one angled portion along a ditch bank that sloped
      uncomfortably toward a drop off. It's much more family friendly now
      which may be a mixed blessing.

      2. I've never seen it before (at least not this early in the year)
      but there is no cool, fresh surface water coming in above the two
      highest pools above the lower falls. That makes the pools quite hot.
      We couldn't even get into the most upper one, and the one next to it
      which it normally feeds (I'd say it's 105 plus) is rather spooky since
      it is not being supplied with fresh water. I'd guess that there's
      currently potential for Naegleria fowleri or, at best, stale pee from
      previous soakers.

      3. The good news is that the entire smaller creek draining the
      springs is now geothermal water. That allows exploring and soaking in
      it at various places that are normally too cool. It's a very
      interesting, natural experience right now.