File - Hiking Schedule

  • SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 195 , Nov 1, 2005
      SaturdayHikers have officially begun their hiking season commencing on Saturday 8 October 2005.

      If you wish to volunteer to lead a hike, please email nseymour@... with your choice of date and hike or activity details and they will be pasted on this list. Please be specific as to area of your hike so that others planning a hike will not duplicate in the same area, e.g. Tai O, Lantau and not just "Lantau". You will need to send out full details of your hike or activity during the week prior to the Saturday by posting them on this website.

      Please realise that you have responsibiity as a leader to know the hike you lead well (eg. to have recced the hike recently prior to leading it). An advantage is take chalk with you to mark the correct turnings if there are several choices and in order to allow slower hikers to follow the correct way and not get lost!

      Additional Information to be provided in an e-mail a few days before the hike:
      Meeting Place & Time:
      How to get there:
      Itinerary :
      Start and End Locations:
      Detailed Description:
      Possible Hike exits for an easy alternative:
      Walking Time:
      What to bring? :
      Leader contact telephone details:

      WE REQUIRE LEADERS FOR ALTERNATIVE HIKES ON THE SAME SATURDAY SO THAT WE DO NOT HAVE LARGE UNMANAGEABLE GROUPS AND MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORT. WE ARE HOPEFUL WE CAN GET A 50-50 SPLIT (eg one easy hike and one moderate or strenuous hike). WE NEED LEADERS FOR 2 DIFFERENT HIKES. PLEASE SEE LISTING BELOW.

      AUTUMN/WINTER HIKE DATES TAKEN BY VOLUNTEER LEADER(S):
      2005
      8 Oct
      HIKE 1
      Place: Pak Tam Au to Sai Wan, passing Ham Tim Beach (coastal walk)
      Grade: Easy to moderate
      Leader: Jenny Wu
      and
      HIKE 2
      (Volunteer needed)

      15 Oct
      HIKE 1
      Place: Tung Chung to Tai O
      Grade: Easy
      Leader: Chris Bailey
      and
      HIKE 2
      (Volunteer needed)

      22 Oct
      HIKE 1
      Place: Tai Long Wan
      Grade: Moderate +
      Leader: Deepak & Christel
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: Mount Hallowes, NT
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Denise

      29 Oct
      HIKE 1
      Place: TBA
      Grade:
      Leader: Susie, Rebekah & Sven
      and
      HIKE 2
      (Volunteer needed)

      5 Nov
      HIKE 1
      Place: Stage 3 Maclehose
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Jenny Wu
      and
      HIKE 2
      (Volunteer needed)

      12 Nov
      HIKE 1
      Place: Shek Pik to Tai O via Fan Lau Fort
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Peter Phelan and Sam
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: Mui Wo - Tung Chung Road via contour path
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Bernard

      19 Nov
      HIKE 1
      Place: Razorback (Fanling to Kadoorie Farm to see the crocodile)
      Grade: Moderate +
      Leader: Peter McTavish
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: Lamma Island
      Grade: Easy
      Leader: Oz

      26 Nov
      HIKE 1
      Place: Lantau Falls
      Grade: Moderate + with moderate option
      Leader: Denise
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: Reservoir circuit - parrt of Maclehose 10
      Grade: Easy, but long
      Leader: Lorraine

      3 Dec
      HIKE 1
      Place: TBA
      Grade:
      Leader: Susie & Annette
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: Tung Chung to Mui Wo the easy way
      Grade: Easy
      Leader: Anna and Michal

      10 Dec (CHRISTMAS PARTY THIS EVENING! Details TBA nearer the time)
      HIKE 1
      Place: HK Island TBA
      Grade: Easy
      Leader: Liz Kemp
      and
      HIKE 2
      (Volunteer needed) Hike should be easy or moderate so people can get back for the Xmas party

      17 Dec
      HIKE 1
      Place: NT TBA
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Jenny NT
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: Tai O to Shek Pik
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Bill and Shuan

      31 Dec
      VACANT - REQUIRE A LEADER - 1 hike only required

      2006
      7 Jan
      HIKE 1
      Place: DB to Mui Wo via Tiger's Head (lots of climbing)
      Grade: Strenuous - no wimps
      Leader: Lynn & Christine
      and
      HIKE 2
      (Volunteer needed - 2nd hike should be moderate or easy)

      14 Jan
      HIKE 1
      Place: Pat Sin Leng
      Grade: Strenuous
      Leader: Roger
      and
      HIKE 2
      (Volunteer needed - 2nd hike should be moderate or easy)

      21 Jan
      HIKE 1
      Place: TBA
      Grade: Moderate +
      Leader: Dave
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: TBA
      Grade: TBA
      Leader: Jane

      28 Jan (Chinese New Year commences 29 Jan)
      Leaders needed
      HIKE 1
      and
      HIKE 2

      4 Feb
      Leaders needed
      HIKE 1
      and
      HIKE 2

      11 Feb

      18 Feb

      25 Feb

      4 Mar

      11 Mar

      18 Mar

      25 Mar

      1 April

      8 April

      15 April (Easter is 14-17 April)

      22 April

      29 April

      This document is located at
      http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UJZQQfqMrq9qr03vrBYJkPypu00zboIOeTleA9NJKFk1Vh9lYtzturD2KBUyheueDSUNxH9LCJzW2NFwB7KP/Hiking%20Schedule
    • SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com
      Message 195 of 195 , Sep 18, 2011
        SaturdayHikers have officially stopped hikes as of June 2011. We officially commence hikes again from October 2011. If anyone wishes to lead a hike from October onwards, please inform us of your choice of Saturday and we will put you on our hiking list for our next season.

        However, if any one wishes to lead a short (2 hrs max?) hike over the summer months with swimming/rock pools etc and/or eating at a dai pai dong at the end, please post your hike or let one of convenors know (see below):

        Our hikes depend upon volunteer leaders and if you wish to volunteer to lead a hike, please email Lynn on twiggyseymour@... or Bill on asialog@... (in case one of us is away) with your choice of date (after checking if it is available below)and your name will be pasted on this list. Please be specific as to area of your hike so that others planning a hike will not duplicate in the same area, e.g. Tai O, Lantau and not just "Lantau". You will need to send out full details of your hike or activity during the week prior to the Saturday by posting them on this website yourself.

        Please realise that you have responsibility as a leader to know the hike you lead well (eg. to have recced the hike recently prior to leading it). An advantage is take chalk with you to mark the correct turnings if there are several choices and in order to allow slower hikers to follow the correct way and not get lost! If your group is very small, the leader should keep with the group to ensure they do not get lost and are guided to the end of the hike.

        Additional Information to be provided by the leader in an e-mail a few days before the hike:

        Meeting Place & Time:
        How to get there:
        Itinerary :
        Start and End Locations:
        Detailed Description:
        Possible Hike exits for an easy alternative:
        Walking Time:
        What to bring? :
        Leader contact telephone details:

        Greg Blumenthal, one of our hikers, has created two First Aid Kits � one large and one small (the small one is very compact and of a light weight). We should like our hike leaders to carry one of these kits in their backpack in case of need. Ideally we would wish that one hike leader arrange to pass it to the next hike leader or a hiker who knows they can attend the next hike to pass it onto the leader. Once we get into this habit, hopefully it will work out. Failing that, you can give the kit back to Greg and the next leader can arrange to pick it up from him. We have had some falls during hikes where minor medical care was needed and without plasters, sterile wipes etc, it could have been very uncomfortable for the hiker to continue.

        Over a year ago we started doing 2 hikes every Saturday so that we do not have large unmanageable groups and make it difficult to take public transport i.e. buses or taxis. We usually ask that we have one strenuous or moderate hike and one easy hike. We need leaders for the 2 different hike levels.

        PLEASE NOTE THE HIKE LISTINGS BELOW AND THE DISCLAIMER:

        Disclaimer. Participants in walks do so entirely at their own risk. No responsibility is implied or taken for any inaccuracies in the itineraries. The walks may be cancelled, the destination changed or the level of endurance altered without prior notice. By joining the walk, all participants are deemed to have agreed to the terms and conditions contained in this disclaimer, and agreed to exonerate the walk leaders, The organisers and any other participants in the walk from any liabilities, claims, including but not limited to liabilities and claims as a result of any injuries or damages arising thereof.

        SATURDAY HIKE DATES TAKEN BY VOLUNTEER LEADER(S)WILL OFFICIALLY COMMENCE IN OCTOBER 2011

        REMINDER - It is the hike leader's responsibility to post full details of their hike during the week prior to their hike (see guidelines above). Some leaders have not indicated the level of fitness for their hike ie 'easy', 'moderate' or 'strenuous' - please let Lynn or Bill known so we can add this to your hike.

        We will list hike dates from here:

        For example: Hike 1 (area) - (put here whether strenuous/moderate/easy) - (name of hike leader)

        e.g. October 3 Walk: (area to be given)
        Leader: (name)
        Level: (Easy ? Moderate? Strenuous?)

        HIKES FROM OCTOBER 2011: