File - Hiking Schedule

  • SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 195 , Feb 1, 2005
      SaturdayHikers planned hikes for the second season 2004 / 2005

      Place: Kowloon Peak
      Grade: Strenuous
      Leader: David Johncock

      Place: Plover Clove
      Grade: Strenuous
      Leader: John Teather

      Place: Tba
      Grade: Strenuous
      Leader: Anna & Michal

      Place: Chi Ma Wan to Pui O
      Detailed description: Start at Chi Ma Wan, Lantau (reached by ferry).
      Hike takes in woodland and coastal contour paths, fantastic views and
      ending in Pui O with option for late pm drink/meal at The Stoep
      restaurant on Cheung Sha beach (but leader can't join in - sorry).
      No option to leave hike as we shall be isolated until Pui O.
      Duration: approx. 4.5-5 hrs moderate so good endurance
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Lynn Seymour 90934248

      Place: Pat Sin Leng
      Grade: Strenuous with a moderate option
      Leader: Bill Galvin

      12 February 2005 Chinese New Year
      Place: Junk Peak Clear Water Bay
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Lorna Christofis

      19th February 2005
      Place: Pak Sha O - noon start with optional barbecue at the cottage after the hike
      Grade: moderate
      Leader Denise

      Will be led by Daphne, venue TBA

      Place: Wilson Trail
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Jenny Wu

      Place: Lantau, Sunset Peak
      Grade: Strenuous
      Leader: Susan Whaley

      Place: Lantau
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Peter Phelan

      26 March 2005 Easter Saturday

      Place: Tai Tam
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Jenny Wu

      Place: Pak Sug Lange
      Grade: Strenuous
      Leader: Roger Brumhill

      Place: Violet Hill
      Grade: Easy to Moderate
      Leader: Anna and Michael

      There are some dates with out hikes planned if you would like to lead one
      please send the details to Lynn Seymour nseymour@...

      Additional Information to be provided in an e-mail a few days before the hike:
      Meeting Place & Time: How to get there:
      Itinerary : Start and End Locations: Detail Description:
      Possible Hike exits for an easy alternative:
      Walking Time:
      What to bring? :
      Leader contact details:

      This document is located at
      http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UJZQQfqMrq9qr03vrBYJkPypu00zboIOeTleA9NJKFk1Vh9lYtzturD2KBUyheueDSUNxH9LCJzW2NFwB7KP/Hiking%20Schedule
    • SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com
      Message 195 of 195 , Sep 18, 2011
        SaturdayHikers have officially stopped hikes as of June 2011. We officially commence hikes again from October 2011. If anyone wishes to lead a hike from October onwards, please inform us of your choice of Saturday and we will put you on our hiking list for our next season.

        However, if any one wishes to lead a short (2 hrs max?) hike over the summer months with swimming/rock pools etc and/or eating at a dai pai dong at the end, please post your hike or let one of convenors know (see below):

        Our hikes depend upon volunteer leaders and if you wish to volunteer to lead a hike, please email Lynn on twiggyseymour@... or Bill on asialog@... (in case one of us is away) with your choice of date (after checking if it is available below)and your name will be pasted on this list. Please be specific as to area of your hike so that others planning a hike will not duplicate in the same area, e.g. Tai O, Lantau and not just "Lantau". You will need to send out full details of your hike or activity during the week prior to the Saturday by posting them on this website yourself.

        Please realise that you have responsibility as a leader to know the hike you lead well (eg. to have recced the hike recently prior to leading it). An advantage is take chalk with you to mark the correct turnings if there are several choices and in order to allow slower hikers to follow the correct way and not get lost! If your group is very small, the leader should keep with the group to ensure they do not get lost and are guided to the end of the hike.

        Additional Information to be provided by the leader in an e-mail a few days before the hike:

        Meeting Place & Time:
        How to get there:
        Itinerary :
        Start and End Locations:
        Detailed Description:
        Possible Hike exits for an easy alternative:
        Walking Time:
        What to bring? :
        Leader contact telephone details:

        Greg Blumenthal, one of our hikers, has created two First Aid Kits � one large and one small (the small one is very compact and of a light weight). We should like our hike leaders to carry one of these kits in their backpack in case of need. Ideally we would wish that one hike leader arrange to pass it to the next hike leader or a hiker who knows they can attend the next hike to pass it onto the leader. Once we get into this habit, hopefully it will work out. Failing that, you can give the kit back to Greg and the next leader can arrange to pick it up from him. We have had some falls during hikes where minor medical care was needed and without plasters, sterile wipes etc, it could have been very uncomfortable for the hiker to continue.

        Over a year ago we started doing 2 hikes every Saturday so that we do not have large unmanageable groups and make it difficult to take public transport i.e. buses or taxis. We usually ask that we have one strenuous or moderate hike and one easy hike. We need leaders for the 2 different hike levels.

        PLEASE NOTE THE HIKE LISTINGS BELOW AND THE DISCLAIMER:

        Disclaimer. Participants in walks do so entirely at their own risk. No responsibility is implied or taken for any inaccuracies in the itineraries. The walks may be cancelled, the destination changed or the level of endurance altered without prior notice. By joining the walk, all participants are deemed to have agreed to the terms and conditions contained in this disclaimer, and agreed to exonerate the walk leaders, The organisers and any other participants in the walk from any liabilities, claims, including but not limited to liabilities and claims as a result of any injuries or damages arising thereof.

        SATURDAY HIKE DATES TAKEN BY VOLUNTEER LEADER(S)WILL OFFICIALLY COMMENCE IN OCTOBER 2011

        REMINDER - It is the hike leader's responsibility to post full details of their hike during the week prior to their hike (see guidelines above). Some leaders have not indicated the level of fitness for their hike ie 'easy', 'moderate' or 'strenuous' - please let Lynn or Bill known so we can add this to your hike.

        We will list hike dates from here:

        For example: Hike 1 (area) - (put here whether strenuous/moderate/easy) - (name of hike leader)

        e.g. October 3 Walk: (area to be given)
        Leader: (name)
        Level: (Easy ? Moderate? Strenuous?)

        HIKES FROM OCTOBER 2011: