Hike for Sat Sept 14th - Tai Mo Shan Stream Hike

  • glbglb1
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2013
      Hike Name: Tai Mo Shan Stream Hike
      Meet: Kwai Hing MTR - Exit A - 9:30AM
      Rating: Strenuous - 7 hours
      Leader: Greg Blumenthal - 9047-0651
      Details: This is another repeat Bryan and Bill's hike which debuted a few years ago. It's one of my favorites, but I didn't manage to fit it in last season. It's a relatively cool hike for what looks like a hot day. It climbs up the Tai Shing Stream bed, starting above the Shing Mun Reservoir, and eventually emerging near the top of Tai Mo Shan. The stream portion is only for the most experienced hikers, but if you're not up for the stream, you get a nice little walk around the reservoir (or up to the top if someone wants to lead a splinter group which skips the stream and goes steeply up the ridge instead)

      I have added a twist at the start, to avoid the mini-bus/taxi ride to the Pineapple Dam, and hopefully introduce most people to some fresh trails . We start off at Kwai Hing MTR (two stops shy of Tsuen Wan, 12 stops from Admiralty) at 9:30. The train takes 26 minutes from Admiralty. Then it's off on one of Greg's trademark industrial estate/housing estate starts (some of each this time). We hit the hills soon enough, up past two temples and some farmland to a catchwater below Golden Hill. Then steeply up to join the Maclehose Trail (section 4 or 5, possibly 6, or maybe 7) for a short section. Here we may admire the remnants of Shing Mun Redoubt, once the strongest fort on the formidable Gin Drinkers Line (now helpfully labeled "desolate trench").

      Then it's around on the road to Pineapple Dam (latecomers may meet here at 10:30, end of the green minibus 82 from Shiu Wo Street in Tsuen Wan). Continuing on, we head up (steeply again) and around on the Lung Mun Country Trail and some other trails, eventually intercepting the Tai Shing Stream, about half way up.

      The stream hike portion is difficult and dangerous (and steep). It doesn't involve any swimming (with a little luck), but there are plenty of slippery and tricky rocks to clamber over, a couple of small cliffs, and some heavy vegetation to get through. There is also no mobile phone coverage, and no way to turn around, so only do this part if you're very comfortable with this kind of thing. The stream portion rises around 300m, eventually emerging just below the peak of Tai Mo Shan, perhaps 2 hours later. By the way, the stream is absolutely
      beautiful, cut through a deep chasm, with verdant forest on both sides, and endless cascades of clear, clean water.

      Then it's down to Tsuen Wan via a few possible trails, depending on how people feel. This part will be steep too, but down.

      No services along the way, so bring plenty of food/water, and sensible hiking boots. A couple of years back, it was freezing cold at the top, so a jacket is a good idea. The stream itself is shady and cool, but it may be hot and sunny at lunch and on the way down, so bring a hat/sunscreen.

      Pictures of some of the route and some of the hikers from last time can be found here: https://picasaweb.google.com/saturdayhikers/2012_03#

      I'm reachable at 9047-0651. Hope to see you there!
    • Michal Niewiadomski
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12, 2013
        Hello Guys,

        Sorry we cannot attend, too strenuous to us:-)

        But hear what happened on our hike last Sunday: We went for the first hike with a Toronto group we found on the internet. It was an easy hike, and as is usual here involved a rather long drive and returning to the car afterwards and the group quite numerous, almost 50 people. It led along the cliff of "Niagara Escarpment". And look what happened to a woman from our group who apparently went too close to the cliff to have a look or take a photo and somehow lost her balance.

        We did not know her and as she was slightly ahead of us, did not see the accident, but were shaken anyway.

        Anna and Michael missing HK in Toronto