File - Hiking Calendar 2012-13

  • SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 28, 2013
      SaturdayHikers have officially commenced hikes from October 2012. Please refer to http://goo.gl/mdHfb for an up-to-date Calendar of the hikes that have been arranged.

      Our hikes depend upon volunteer leaders and we especially need volunteers for the 2nd (easier) hikes. If you wish to volunteer to lead a hike, please email either Lynn on twiggyseymour@... or Greg on greg.blumenthal@... (in case one of us is away) with your choice of date. Please be specific as to area of your hike so that others planning a hike will not duplicate in the same area, e.g. "Tai O, Lantau" and not just "Lantau". You will need to send out full details of your hike or activity during the week prior to the Saturday by posting them on this website yourself, or sending the details to Lynn or Greg for posting.

      Please realise that you have responsibility as a leader to know the hike you lead well (eg. to have recced the hike recently prior to leading it). An advantage is take chalk with you to mark the correct turnings if there are several choices and in order to allow slower hikers to follow the correct way and not get lost! If your group is very small, the leader should keep with the group to ensure they do not get lost and are guided to the end of the hike.

      Additional Information to be provided by the leader in an e-mail a few days before the hike:

      Meeting Place & Time:
      How to get there:
      Itinerary :
      Start and End Locations:
      Detailed Description:
      Possible Hike exits for an easy alternative:
      Walking Time:
      What to bring:
      Leader contact telephone details:

      Greg has created two First Aid Kits � one large and one small (the small one is very compact and of a light weight). We should like our hike leaders to carry one of these kits in their backpack in case of need. Ideally we would wish that one hike leader arrange to pass it to the next hike leader or a hiker who knows they can attend the next hike to pass it onto the leader. Once we get into this habit, hopefully it will work out. Failing that, you can give the kit back to Greg and the next leader can arrange to pick it up from him. We have had some falls during hikes where minor medical care was needed and without plasters, sterile wipes etc, it could have been very uncomfortable for the hiker to continue.

      We aim to have 2 hikes every Saturday so that we do not have large unmanageable groups and make it difficult to take public transport i.e. buses or taxis. We usually ask that we have one strenuous or moderate hike and one easy hike. We need leaders for the 2 different hike levels.

      PLEASE NOTE THE DISCLAIMER BELOW:

      Disclaimer. Participants in walks do so entirely at their own risk. No responsibility is implied or taken for any inaccuracies in the itineraries. The walks may be cancelled, the destination changed or the level of endurance altered without prior notice. By joining the walk, all participants are deemed to have agreed to the terms and conditions contained in this disclaimer, and agreed to exonerate the walk leaders, The organisers and any other participants in the walk from any liabilities, claims, including but not limited to liabilities and claims as a result of any injuries or damages arising thereof.
    • SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com