Lamma hikes for Saturday March 23rd

  • glbglb1
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2013
      We have a special hike arranged for the upcoming Saturday, March 23rd. It's Anna and Michael's goodbye hike, with a seafood lunch on Lamma to make us feel better. We have easier and harder options, starting at different times, but finishing together.

      -------------------------
      Harder Hike:
      -------------------------
      Route: Mo Tat - Tung O - Mount Stenhouse (353 m) - Sok Kwu Wan - Yung Shue Wan
      Meet: Aberdeen - Chuen Kee Ferry Pontoon - 9:15 AM for the 9:30 kaito
      Grade: Moderate plus
      Leader: Greg - 9047-0651
      Description: We will get off the ferry at Mo Tat, loop around Yung Shue Ha and the beach at Tung O, then up to the saddle, where we split off the main route, and climb straight up Stenhouse (353 meters, and we're coming all the way from sea level). Then we retrace our steps to the saddle, for a quick walk down to Sok Kwu Wan, arriving around 2 pm, for a late lunch with Anna and Michael's group. After lunch, those in a hurry can return to Central or Aberdeen, but we plan to combine both groups and continue to Yung Shue Wan (via the Youth Hostel, windmill, and Tai Peng Village). On the way, there is also an option for a swim at Lo So Shing beach, weather permitting.

      -------------------------
      Easier Hike:
      -------------------------
      Route: Mo Tat - Tung O - Sok Kwu Wan - Yung Shue Wan
      Meet: Aberdeen - Chuen Kee Ferry Pontoon - 10:45 AM for the 11:00 kaito
      Grade: Easy plus
      Leaders: Anna & Michael - home: 2546-9550 / mobile: 5194-0334 (to be turned on on Saturday morning)
      Description: We will get off the ferry at Mo Tat and will take the longer route to Sok Kwu Wan, via Yung Shue Ha and Tung O, arriving there around 2 pm, in time for a lunch with Greg's group. After lunch, those in a hurry can return to Central or Aberdeen, but we plan to combine both groups and continue to Yung Shue Wan (via the Youth Hostel, windmill, and Tai Peng Village). On the way, there is also an option for a swim at Lo So Shing beach, weather permitting.

      Notes (both hikes):
      -- The Chuen Kee Ferry pier is located next to the Aberdeen wholesale fish market, at the extreme western end of the Aberdeen Promenade, and is different from the pontoon of the Yung She Wan (Tsui Wah) ferry more to the east.
      -- To get to the pier, you can take a 37X or 37B bus (these are basically the same bus, but run at different times) from Admiralty station (in the bus terminus under United Center) to Aberdeen Wholesale Fish Market. You can pick up the same 37X/37B bus from Wanchai MTR (Southorn Playground bus stop, facing the tram lines). It's the 7th stop after leaving the tunnel, one stop past the Aberdeen Promenade Stop. The pier is very close to this stop, just head for the water. Any bus/minibus/taxi to Aberdeen should also do the job (cross the highway on a pedestrian bridge/tunnel, turn right at the waterfront, and walk to the end of the promenade). For example, those coming from Sheung Wan, Kennedy Town, etc. may prefer to take bus 7 to Aberdeen.
      -- There is also an option of lunch only (with or without the subsequent walk to Yung Shue Wan). For that, you would need to take the 12:30 ferry from Aberdeen to Sok Kwu Wan or 11:50 ferry from Central to Sok Kwu Wan
      -- Don't count on getting back to Central before dark (2 PM for the start of a leisurely lunch, possible swimming, 2 hour walk after lunch, and ferry ride back will all add up)
      -- The observatory is currently calling for fog, but not heavy rain on Saturday (the rain is coming on Sunday). So fingers crossed (in case of heavy rain, the peak of Stenhouse is probably off).