Hike for Sat 9th Feb - Mount Parker II - The Redemption

  • glbglb1
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2013
      Celebrate the last day of the Year of the Dragon with a repeat of Greg's infamous Mount Parker hike from 2010.

      Last time I led this one, I may have missed a turnoff a tiny bit, and after some arguably less-than-perfect decision making, led my flock off trail down a perilous stream bed, leading to many minor injuries, and one rather serious one. This is the hike that inspired SaturdayHikers to create the official first aid kits.

      This time should be nothing like that, as I promise to find the right path. But it is still a relatively challenging hike by HK Island standards.

      Time: Feb 9th, 10:00 AM
      Place: Sai Wan Ho MTR - Downstairs near the ticket gates
      Duration: 5 hours, with bailouts available
      Rating: Moderate+ with some steep/overgrown bits
      Leader: Greg B. 9047-0651

      Details:
      Starting at a civilized 10AM in Sai Wan Ho MTR, we'll head up though the housing estates, and let the escalators carry us up the first 70 vertical meters. After a little climb up the ridge, we take a detour through both lower and upper Red River Gorge, then climb back up to the ridge, and head straight up the side of Mount Parker (this is the steep bit, and has been known to be slippery too). We'll take the road less traveled from the peak of Mount Parker to Quarry Gap, through some surprisingly remote-feeling territory (but not as remote-feeling as last time). Once when I was up there, I spotted a wild boar. Then we head up Mount Butler the wrong way (the other steep bit), and down partly on the Wilson Trail to Braemar Hill, where buses back to town will be standing by.

      I'm calling it a moderate-plus. There are two substantial climbs which are steep, but not all that long (650 total vertical meters). Lots of bailouts are available. This is not a great kids hike, as the vegetation is a bit on the aggressive side (definitely wear long pants and long sleeves). No shops once we leave Sai Wan Ho, so bring whatever you plan wear/consume. The observatory is currently predicting cold and windy which should be nice, but check again later for possible rain.

      Hope to see you all there!