Hike on Saturday October 6th - Discovery Bay to Sunny Bay

  • David Johncock
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2012
      Dear Hikers,

      For our first Saturday of the hiking season, we'll meet at the exit from
      the Disco Bay ferry on Lantau at 9.40a.m. Those of you coming from Central
      will need to catch the 9.10 ferry in order to make it on time; others may
      do as I do and get to Disco Bay by taking the Tung Chung MTR line as far as
      Sunny Bay and then boarding the Discovery Bay bus. We'll be heading up over
      the Tiger's Head and along the ridge of hills across the northern part of
      Lantau, checking out the views of Disneyland before dropping down to Sunny
      Bay.

      Expect 4-5 hours walking; do bring lunch, plenty of water, sensible
      footwear. Maximum altitude 450 metres above sea level. A stiff climb at the
      beginning of the walk followed by gentle undulations - so overall this one
      is MODERATE.

      If you need to call me I'm on 9221 5203.

      David

    • Lynn Seymour
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2012
        Dear David
        After what 8 of us intrepid Saturday Hikers did yesterday on Bryan's hike, your's will be a doddle! Bryan I think may be doing a write up about what we experienced trying to get to Sharp Peak from a different angle (!!)
        Lynn

        To: SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2012
          Dear all,

          Just had word from Aloeffle52 that the ferry from Central on Saturdays goes
          at 9am. The Department of Transport website says that it's at 9.10, but
          if, like most people, you don't trust the government, then getting to the
          pier ten minutes earlier might be a good idea.

          David

          On 3 October 2012 08:34, David Johncock <davidjohncock@...> wrote:

          > Dear Hikers,
          >
          > For our first Saturday of the hiking season, we'll meet at the exit from
          > the Disco Bay ferry on Lantau at 9.40a.m. Those of you coming from Central
          > will need to catch the 9.10 ferry in order to make it on time; others may
          > do as I do and get to Disco Bay by taking the Tung Chung MTR line as far as
          > Sunny Bay and then boarding the Discovery Bay bus. We'll be heading up over
          > the Tiger's Head and along the ridge of hills across the northern part of
          > Lantau, checking out the views of Disneyland before dropping down to Sunny
          > Bay.
          >
          > Expect 4-5 hours walking; do bring lunch, plenty of water, sensible
          > footwear. Maximum altitude 450 metres above sea level. A stiff climb at the
          > beginning of the walk followed by gentle undulations - so overall this one
          > is MODERATE.
          >
          > If you need to call me I'm on 9221 5203.
          >
          > David

        • Lynn Seymour
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2012
            Dear All
            I just rang Discovery Bay Transportation Services Tel 365 12345 and they confirmed that the ferry from Central to DB on Saturday mornings is at 9.10am (not 9am).
            Lynn

            To: SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com
            From: davidjohncock@...
            Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 11:21:01 +0800

            Dear all,

            Just had word from Aloeffle52 that the ferry from Central on Saturdays goes

            at 9am. The Department of Transport website says that it's at 9.10, but

            if, like most people, you don't trust the government, then getting to the

            pier ten minutes earlier might be a good idea.

            David

            On 3 October 2012 08:34, David Johncock <davidjohncock@...> wrote:

            > Dear Hikers,

            > For our first Saturday of the hiking season, we'll meet at the exit from

            > the Disco Bay ferry on Lantau at 9.40a.m. Those of you coming from Central

            > will need to catch the 9.10 ferry in order to make it on time; others may

            > do as I do and get to Disco Bay by taking the Tung Chung MTR line as far as

            > Sunny Bay and then boarding the Discovery Bay bus. We'll be heading up over

            > the Tiger's Head and along the ridge of hills across the northern part of

            > Lantau, checking out the views of Disneyland before dropping down to Sunny

            > Bay.

            > Expect 4-5 hours walking; do bring lunch, plenty of water, sensible

            > footwear. Maximum altitude 450 metres above sea level. A stiff climb at the

            > beginning of the walk followed by gentle undulations - so overall this one

            > is MODERATE.

            > If you need to call me I'm on 9221 5203.

            > David

          • David Johncock
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2012
              'Gentle undulations' was quite a misleading description of the ordeal
              I put you all through yesterday. My apologies to everyone! I hope the
              split group got home safely.