File - Hiking Calendar 2011-12

  • SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 1, 2012
      Please refer to http://goo.gl/mdHfb for an up-to-date Calendar of the hikes that have been arranged.

      SaturdayHikers have officially commenced hikes again from October 2011. If anyone wishes to lead a hike from October onwards, please inform us of your choice of Saturday and we will do our best to put you on our hiking list. We especially need volunteers for the 2nd (easier) hikes).

      If anyone wishes to lead a short (2 hrs max?) hike over the summer months with swimming/rock pools etc and/or eating at a dai pai dong at the end, please let one of the moderators know (see below).

      Available dates for additional hikes are shaded in blue on the Calendar (link above).

      Our hikes depend upon volunteer leaders and if you wish to volunteer to lead a hike, please email either Lynn on twiggyseymour@... or Greg on greg.blumenthal@... (in case one of us is away) with your choice of date. Please be specific as to area of your hike so that others planning a hike will not duplicate in the same area, e.g. Tai O, Lantau and not just "Lantau". You will need to send out full details of your hike or activity during the week prior to the Saturday by posting them on this website yourself, or sending the details to Lynn or Bill for posting.

      Please realise that you have responsibility as a leader to know the hike you lead well (eg. to have recced the hike recently prior to leading it). An advantage is take chalk with you to mark the correct turnings if there are several choices and in order to allow slower hikers to follow the correct way and not get lost! If your group is very small, the leader should keep with the group to ensure they do not get lost and are guided to the end of the hike.

      Additional Information to be provided by the leader in an e-mail a few days before the hike:

      Meeting Place & Time:
      How to get there:
      Itinerary :
      Start and End Locations:
      Detailed Description:
      Possible Hike exits for an easy alternative:
      Walking Time:
      What to bring? :
      Leader contact telephone details:

      Greg Blumenthal, one of our hikers, has created two First Aid Kits � one large and one small (the small one is very compact and of a light weight). We should like our hike leaders to carry one of these kits in their backpack in case of need. Ideally we would wish that one hike leader arrange to pass it to the next hike leader or a hiker who knows they can attend the next hike to pass it onto the leader. Once we get into this habit, hopefully it will work out. Failing that, you can give the kit back to Greg and the next leader can arrange to pick it up from him. We have had some falls during hikes where minor medical care was needed and without plasters, sterile wipes etc, it could have been very uncomfortable for the hiker to continue.

      Over a year ago we started doing 2 hikes every Saturday so that we do not have large unmanageable groups and make it difficult to take public transport i.e. buses or taxis. We usually ask that we have one strenuous or moderate hike and one easy hike. We need leaders for the 2 different hike levels.

      PLEASE NOTE THE DISCLAIMER BELOW:

      Disclaimer. Participants in walks do so entirely at their own risk. No responsibility is implied or taken for any inaccuracies in the itineraries. The walks may be cancelled, the destination changed or the level of endurance altered without prior notice. By joining the walk, all participants are deemed to have agreed to the terms and conditions contained in this disclaimer, and agreed to exonerate the walk leaders, The organisers and any other participants in the walk from any liabilities, claims, including but not limited to liabilities and claims as a result of any injuries or damages arising thereof.

      REMINDER - It is the hike leader's responsibility to post full details of their hike during the week prior to their hike (see guidelines above). Some leaders have not indicated the level of fitness for their hike ie 'easy', 'moderate' or 'strenuous' - please let Lynn or Bill known so we can add this to your hike.
    • SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com