HIke Saturday 10th December

  • susiwhaley
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2011
      Dear Hikers

      Unfortunately, my knees have been giving me lots of trouble as well as excruciating pain, and I haven't been able to hike for two weeks.
      I am able to walk this weekend, but under orders from my physio, it can't be as long a hike as I intended. Apologies to anyone that wanted to commence from Repulse Bay. I can't risk jeopardizing my knees and have to build them up sensibly. We will still end on The Peak.

      Meet at Pacific Coffee at 9.30 am sharp – Address is 3 Bonham Road, just opposite where Park Road meets the end of Caine Road, beginning of Bonham Road.
      Duration: About 3 hours (plus if desired)
      Degree of Difficulty. Ascent to Peak - 450 meters, ups , another 100 meters or so, so about 600 metres all together.

      Plenty of transport passes by –

      minibuses 22, 22S, 8 from Central, 31, 10, 10X from Northpoint, 28 from Causeway Bay
      Big Buses 23, 40, 40M from Wanchai, 3B, 103 from Central

      We will walk up through HKU grounds to The Morning Trail, following the back route up The Peak past Pinewood Battery, up to the Governor's Palace for a View of the Outlying Islands. Descending to where the Peak Tram terminal is, we will follow the path down towards Aberdeen Reservoir, through the leafy forest towards Chi Fu.

      Continuing, we will follow the horse track winding back up to The Peak via Mount Kellett Road which Bill showed me. I love the views from this track. I will stick to this route.

      Any experienced person wanting to go a little further to Peel Rise, following the HK Trail to Wanchai Gap, or up Peel Rise to The Peak, is welcome. Once at The Peak, one can relax for a cup of tea /coffee, or catch a bus back down. Alternatively, hikers can walk down Old Peak Road back to Central.

      This route should take us about 2 ½ to 3 hours up to The Peak – another 40 minutes down town for those who wish to continue.

      If anyone desires to offer alternatives, or add / subtract, please feel free.

      Susie
      6825-9836