Reminder re Mok Min Sunday 11th July

  • William Galvin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2010
      There are just a few places left on the ³Teachers Day² hike (details below).
      This is now open to non teachers on FCFS basis so please let me know.

      Please also let me know if you want to have the early dinner at seafood
      place ­ seems like most of us are.

      Bookings close Wednesday 11am!

      Bill
      <<<<<<
      Teacher¹s Day Hike on SUNDAY (not Saturday) 11th July 2010 - Mok Min Caves
      at very low tide plus num nums ­ BOOKING REQUIRED, priority given to
      teachers

      - MAX OF 32 FOR THIS SUMMER HIKE. PLEASE CONFIRM BOOKING WITH ME BY
      E-MAIL asialog@... <mailto:asialog@...> and say if you are
      having supper at Yau Lei restaurant in Sha Kiu after the hike.
      - In appreciation of the noble profession, free kaido and post-hike
      beverages will be provided to teachers by the hike leaders.
      - Meet by the loos next to the big bus terminus at Sai Kung at 11:50am
      (some of us will be at Ali Oli¹s for coffee at 11).
      - A kaido will take us to Sha Kiu pier from where we walk to Mok Min
      caves (an easy hour hike). Cost of kaido about HK$30 per person depending
      on numbers.
      - Shortly after 3pm there is a phenomenon of a Lowest Astronomical
      Tide wot happens when the sun, earth and moon are in syzygy. With the tide
      being a couple of feet lower than average I think we can probably walk under
      the magnificent rock arch what grants access to the secluded beach rather
      than peer meekly through it as like we done before. This is the lowest it
      ever gets on a weekend this year, and this is why the hike is on a Sunday.
      http://www.hko.gov.hk/tide/eKLWtide.htm
      <http://www.hko.gov.hk/tide/eKLWtide.htm>
      - Then off to Sha Kiu Yau Lei restaurant for seafood num nums (booking
      needed). Or you can spend time on the beach and enjoy a picnic dinner and
      catch up with the rest of us later.
      - Then we can hike off the calories back to the Sai Kung County Park
      gate along the quiet road, or kaido back if we are feeling lazy.
      - Time of return is uncertain.
      Leaders: Bill and Shuang.
      Take: 1.5 litres of water, plus big hat or umbrella and sun block. A torch
      may help cos it could get dark on the way back.

      - *** Please note that the Mok Min area is not so safe ­ risk of
      falling from height, falling rocks and freak waves etc***