File - Hiking Schedule

  • SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 195 , May 2, 2010
      SaturdayHikers have resumed hiking. During October-May please feel free to contact either Lynn (twiggyseymour@...) or Bill (asialog@...) if you wish to post a hike. The full list of hikes are shown below.

      The following text is our routine reminder to hikers.

      If you wish to volunteer to lead a hike, please email Lynn on twiggyseymour@... or Bill on asialog@... (in case one of us is away) with your choice of date (after checking if it is available below)and your name will be pasted on this list. Please be specific as to area of your hike so that others planning a hike will not duplicate in the same area, e.g. Tai O, Lantau and not just "Lantau". You will need to send out full details of your hike or activity during the week prior to the Saturday by posting them on this website yourself.

      Please realise that you have responsibility as a leader to know the hike you lead well (eg. to have recced the hike recently prior to leading it). An advantage is take chalk with you to mark the correct turnings if there are several choices and in order to allow slower hikers to follow the correct way and not get lost!

      Additional Information to be provided by the leader in an e-mail a few days before the hike:
      Meeting Place & Time:
      How to get there:
      Itinerary :
      Start and End Locations:
      Detailed Description:
      Possible Hike exits for an easy alternative:
      Walking Time:
      What to bring? :
      Leader contact telephone details:

      WE REQUIRE LEADERS FOR ALTERNATIVE HIKES ON THE SAME SATURDAY SO THAT WE DO NOT HAVE LARGE UNMANAGEABLE GROUPS AND MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORT. WE ARE HOPEFUL WE CAN GET A 50-50 SPLIT (eg one easy hike and one moderate or strenuous hike). WE NEED LEADERS FOR 2 DIFFERENT HIKES. ALTERNATIVELY, ARRANGE FOR 2 HIKE LEADERS TO STAGGER THE SAME HIKE SO THE SLOWER HIKERS MEET 1 LEADER EARLIER AND THE FAST ONES MEET THE 2ND LEADER LATER.

      PLEASE NOTE THE HIKE LISTINGS BELOW AND THE DISCLAIMER:

      Disclaimer. Participants in walks do so entirely at their own risk. No responsibility is implied or taken for any inaccuracies in the itineraries. The walks may be cancelled, the destination changed or the level of endurance altered without prior notice. By joining the walk, all participants are deemed to have agreed to the terms and conditions contained in this disclaimer, and agreed to exonerate the walk leaders, The organisers and any other participants in the walk from any liabilities, claims, including but not limited to liabilities and claims as a result of any injuries or damages arising thereof.

      SATURDAY HIKE DATES TAKEN BY VOLUNTEER LEADER(S)COMMENCING OCTOBER 2009

      REMINDER - It is the hike leader's responsibility to post full details of their hike during the week prior to their hike (see guidelines above). Some leaders have not indicated the level of fitness for their hike ie 'easy', 'moderate' or 'strenuous' - please let Lynn or Bill known so we can add this to your hike.

      We will list hike dates from here:

      For example: Hike 1 (area) - (put here whether strenuous/moderate/easy) - (name of hike leader)

      October 3 Walk: Contour under sunset (Lantau)
      Leader: Susie
      Level: Easy-moderate
      (to be changed? Done in Sept)

      October 10 (Need leader as Kim has work commitment) Original plan: Shui Lo Pools

      October 17 Walk: Dragons Back (HK)
      Leader(s) Kathy and Chrissy:
      Level: Easy

      October 24 Walk: Wu Lau Tang � Lai Chi Wo- Luk Keng, the harder way (NT-east)
      Leader: Kim
      Level: Strenuous (long!)

      October 31 Walk: UP FOR GRABS!
      Level:

      November 7 Walk: (Lantau)
      Leader(s): Michael & Anna
      Level:

      November 14 - available

      November 21 Walk: Pineapple Dam
      Leader(s): Kathy & Chrissy
      Level: Moderate

      November 28 Walk: Lantau Peak
      Leader(s):Michael and Anna
      Level: Strenuous
      and
      Hike 2 Walk: Ho Chung to Sai Kung
      Leader(s): Lorraine
      Level: Moderate

      December 5 Walk: Plover Cove
      Leader(s): Peter McTavish
      Level: Strenuous (7 hrs)

      December 12 Walk: Lautau Shek Pik � Tai O via Fort
      Leader: Susie
      Level: Moderate

      December 19 Walk: (N-E NT)
      Leader: Bryan
      Level:

      December 26 Walk:
      Leader(s):
      Level:

      2010
      January 2 Walk: West HK Island - WW1 & WW2 ruins
      Leader(s): Nick & Lynn
      Level: Moderate-Strenuous - no kids as rope climbing involved

      January 9 Walk: Shek Pik to Sham Wat, Lantau
      Leader: Susie
      Level: Strenuous

      January 16 Walk: Opposite Castle Peak � Gold Coast
      Leader(s): Kim
      Level: Moderate- Strenuous

      January 23 Walk: Caves at Sai Kung
      Leader(s): Lorraine
      Level: Moderate

      January 30
      Hike 1 Walk: Wong Shek to Mac 3
      Leader(s):Susie
      Level:
      AND
      Hike 2
      Jan 30th: Pineapple Dam NT
      Kathy and Chrissie
      Grade: Moderate

      February 6 Walk:
      Leader(s):
      Level:

      February 13
      (CNY) Walk: Donkey Trail, Tung Chung to Tai O
      Leader(s): Lily
      Level:

      February 20 Walk: Razor Back (NT)
      Leader(s): Peter McTavish
      Level: Moderate

      February 27 Walk: Hunchbacks
      Leader(s): Rebekah
      Level: Moderate-Strenuous

      March 6 Walk: Tung Chung to Pui O (Lantau)
      Leader(s): Susie
      Level:

      March 13 Walk:
      Leader(s): Roger
      Level:

      March 20 Walk:
      Leader(s): Bryan
      Level:

      March 27 Walk:
      Leader(s): Rebekah
      Level:

      April 3
      (Easter) Walk: HK Island - Repulse Bay to Quarry Bay
      Leader(s): Greg B.
      Level: Moderate

      April 10 Walk: Starting from Fo Tan
      Leader(s): Greg B.
      Level: Strenuous minus

      April 17 Walk:
      Leader(s): Roger
      Level:

      April 24 Walk: Sai Kung - Maclehose stage 3
      Leader: Lorraine
      Level: strenuous minus

      May 1 (Labour Day) Walk:
      Leader(s):
      Level:

      May 8 Walk: (Lantau)
      Leader(s): Anna & Michael
      Level:

      May 15 Walk 1: (need strenuous one - volunteer needed)
      Leader(s):
      Level:
      &
      Walk 2: Lamma Island including a visit to a farm and a gallery in the local village house.
      Leader: Glendy
      Level: easy - round the island (2-3 hrs)

      May 22 Walk:
      Leader(s): Susie
      Level:

      May 29 Walk:
      Leader(s):
      Level:

      This document is located at
      http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UJZQQfqMrq9qr03vrBYJkPypu00zboIOeTleA9NJKFk1Vh9lYtzturD2KBUyheueDSUNxH9LCJzW2NFwB7KP/Hiking%20Schedule
    • SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com
      Message 195 of 195 , Sep 18, 2011
        SaturdayHikers have officially stopped hikes as of June 2011. We officially commence hikes again from October 2011. If anyone wishes to lead a hike from October onwards, please inform us of your choice of Saturday and we will put you on our hiking list for our next season.

        However, if any one wishes to lead a short (2 hrs max?) hike over the summer months with swimming/rock pools etc and/or eating at a dai pai dong at the end, please post your hike or let one of convenors know (see below):

        Our hikes depend upon volunteer leaders and if you wish to volunteer to lead a hike, please email Lynn on twiggyseymour@... or Bill on asialog@... (in case one of us is away) with your choice of date (after checking if it is available below)and your name will be pasted on this list. Please be specific as to area of your hike so that others planning a hike will not duplicate in the same area, e.g. Tai O, Lantau and not just "Lantau". You will need to send out full details of your hike or activity during the week prior to the Saturday by posting them on this website yourself.

        Please realise that you have responsibility as a leader to know the hike you lead well (eg. to have recced the hike recently prior to leading it). An advantage is take chalk with you to mark the correct turnings if there are several choices and in order to allow slower hikers to follow the correct way and not get lost! If your group is very small, the leader should keep with the group to ensure they do not get lost and are guided to the end of the hike.

        Additional Information to be provided by the leader in an e-mail a few days before the hike:

        Meeting Place & Time:
        How to get there:
        Itinerary :
        Start and End Locations:
        Detailed Description:
        Possible Hike exits for an easy alternative:
        Walking Time:
        What to bring? :
        Leader contact telephone details:

        Greg Blumenthal, one of our hikers, has created two First Aid Kits � one large and one small (the small one is very compact and of a light weight). We should like our hike leaders to carry one of these kits in their backpack in case of need. Ideally we would wish that one hike leader arrange to pass it to the next hike leader or a hiker who knows they can attend the next hike to pass it onto the leader. Once we get into this habit, hopefully it will work out. Failing that, you can give the kit back to Greg and the next leader can arrange to pick it up from him. We have had some falls during hikes where minor medical care was needed and without plasters, sterile wipes etc, it could have been very uncomfortable for the hiker to continue.

        Over a year ago we started doing 2 hikes every Saturday so that we do not have large unmanageable groups and make it difficult to take public transport i.e. buses or taxis. We usually ask that we have one strenuous or moderate hike and one easy hike. We need leaders for the 2 different hike levels.

        PLEASE NOTE THE HIKE LISTINGS BELOW AND THE DISCLAIMER:

        Disclaimer. Participants in walks do so entirely at their own risk. No responsibility is implied or taken for any inaccuracies in the itineraries. The walks may be cancelled, the destination changed or the level of endurance altered without prior notice. By joining the walk, all participants are deemed to have agreed to the terms and conditions contained in this disclaimer, and agreed to exonerate the walk leaders, The organisers and any other participants in the walk from any liabilities, claims, including but not limited to liabilities and claims as a result of any injuries or damages arising thereof.

        SATURDAY HIKE DATES TAKEN BY VOLUNTEER LEADER(S)WILL OFFICIALLY COMMENCE IN OCTOBER 2011

        REMINDER - It is the hike leader's responsibility to post full details of their hike during the week prior to their hike (see guidelines above). Some leaders have not indicated the level of fitness for their hike ie 'easy', 'moderate' or 'strenuous' - please let Lynn or Bill known so we can add this to your hike.

        We will list hike dates from here:

        For example: Hike 1 (area) - (put here whether strenuous/moderate/easy) - (name of hike leader)

        e.g. October 3 Walk: (area to be given)
        Leader: (name)
        Level: (Easy ? Moderate? Strenuous?)

        HIKES FROM OCTOBER 2011: