Saturday 5th May: Tung Chung cable car, Lantau Peak, Mui Wo

  • Bill Galvin
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2007
      Date: Saturday 5th May 2007

      Led by: Bill

      Difficulty: Strenuous, but with easy / moderate options.

      Meet: Meet in the cable car queue at 8:40 am ***100% SHARP***. (Early
      start to avoid long queue for the cable car - www.np360.com.hk/ for service
      details - and to climb Lantau peak before it gets too hot). You're welcome
      to join me in Delifrance by Tung Chung MTR station for a coffee before, and
      we'll stroll over to join the queue just before 8:40am. The queue will get
      much longer if you are later, making it hard for you to catch up.

      Itin: We'll pause a few minutes to regroup at the top of the cable car, and
      walk to the start of the Lantau peak trail, which is near to the Pillars of
      Wisdom (Pillars of Woodworm more like it). A steady 430 metre climb to the
      top. Then down to the Lantau Peak / Sunset Peak gap, up a bit to the
      contour path round Sunset Peak, and then a long, mainly flat, and beautiful
      meandering hike to Mui Wo. Maybe we can stop at a dai pai dong there before
      taking the ferry home.

      Easier options: (A) There are two excellent options for an easy stroll back
      down to Tung Chung or (B) A very scenic hike down to Tong Fuk, either before
      or after climbing Lantau Peak. In all cases your leader will point you in
      the right direction! Please note the Mui Wo hike will be at a reasonably
      brisk pace with just two stops: Lantau Peak, and the waterfall for lunch.
      If you want to take it more slowly that is no problem because the path is
      easy to follow.

      Bring: At least 2.5 litres of water, hat / umbrella for shade, waterproofs
      / windproofs (the weather at the top of Lantau Peak is unpredictable).

      Time: In Mui Wo at about 4pm if you stay with the main pack.

      Bill

      (Please note: I was going to do Sai Kung / Pak A but that can be done in
      the summer.