File - Hiking Schedule

  • SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 195 , Sep 1, 2006
      SaturdayHikers have officially ended their hiking season. We shall commence hikes in October following a get-together to arrange volunteer leaders in September (yet to be arranged). Meanwhile in the interim period, if anyone wishes to lead a short walk followed with a cooling swim or a junk boat trip, please go ahead and arrange.

      The following text is our routine reminder to hikers.

      If you wish to volunteer to lead a hike, please email nseymour@... with your choice of date and hike or activity details and they will be pasted on this list. Please be specific as to area of your hike so that others planning a hike will not duplicate in the same area, e.g. Tai O, Lantau and not just "Lantau". You will need to send out full details of your hike or activity during the week prior to the Saturday by posting them on this website.

      Please realise that you have responsibiity as a leader to know the hike you lead well (eg. to have recced the hike recently prior to leading it). An advantage is take chalk with you to mark the correct turnings if there are several choices and in order to allow slower hikers to follow the correct way and not get lost!

      Additional Information to be provided in an e-mail a few days before the hike:
      Meeting Place & Time:
      How to get there:
      Itinerary :
      Start and End Locations:
      Detailed Description:
      Possible Hike exits for an easy alternative:
      Walking Time:
      What to bring? :
      Leader contact telephone details:

      WE REQUIRE LEADERS FOR ALTERNATIVE HIKES ON THE SAME SATURDAY SO THAT WE DO NOT HAVE LARGE UNMANAGEABLE GROUPS AND MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORT. WE ARE HOPEFUL WE CAN GET A 50-50 SPLIT (eg one easy hike and one moderate or strenuous hike). WE NEED LEADERS FOR 2 DIFFERENT HIKES. ALTERNATIVELY, ARRANGE FOR 2 HIKE LEADERS TO STAGGER THE SAME HIKE SO THE SLOWER HIKERS MEET 1 LEADER EARLIER AND THE FAST ONES MEET THE 2ND LEADER LATER.

      PLEASE NOTE THE HIKE LISTINGS BELOW AND THE DISCLAIMER:

      Disclaimer. Participants in walks do so entirely at their own risk. No responsibility is implied or taken for any inaccuracies in the itineraries. The walks may be cancelled, the destination changed or the level of endurance altered without prior notice. By joining the walk, all participants are deemed to have agreed to the terms and conditions contained in this disclaimer, and agreed to exonerate the walk leaders, The organisers and any other participants in the walk from any liabilities, claims, including but not limited to liabilities and claims as a result of any injuries or damages arising thereof.

      AUTUMN/WINTER HIKE DATES TAKEN BY VOLUNTEER LEADER(S):
      2005/2006

      31 Dec
      VACANT - REQUIRE A LEADER - 1 hike only required

      2006
      7 Jan
      HIKE 1
      Place: Tai Po Kau
      Ggrade: Moderate
      Leader: Jenny Wu

      14 Jan
      HIKE 1
      Place: Pat Sin Leng
      Grade: Strenuous
      Leader: Roger
      and
      HIKE 2
      Same hike for tortoises led by Denise

      21 Jan
      HIKE 1
      Place: The Peak, HK Island
      Grade: Moderate (4-5 hrs)
      Leader: Denise and Debbie
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: Chi Ma Wan to Pui O around the peninsula
      Grade: TBA
      Leader: Jane

      28 Jan (Chinese New Year commences 29 Jan)
      CNY - ONE HIKE ONLY
      Place: Tseung Kwan O near Water Bay, High Jung Peak
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Lorna

      Monday 30 Jan (Special additional hike for CNY)
      Place: Sai Kung area
      Grade: Strenuous
      Leader(s): Bill and Peter McT

      4 Feb
      HIKE 1
      Place: Lantau Peak
      Grade: Easy
      Leader: Anna & Michal
      and
      HIKE 2
      Leader needed

      11 Feb
      HIKE 1
      Place: TBA (possibly Wilson Trail)
      Grade:
      Leader(s) Christiane, Frank & Rebekah
      and
      HIKE 2
      Leader: Jenny Wu

      18 Feb
      HIKE 1
      Place:
      Grade: Moderate
      Leaders: Janet and Andrew

      25 Feb
      HIKE 1
      Place: TBA
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Bernard Whaley
      and
      HIKE 2
      Leader needed

      4 Mar
      HIKE 1
      Place: TBA
      Grade:
      Leader: (Jenny one hike, Ken another hike)
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: Lantau Peak
      Grade: Strenuous
      Leader: Alasdair Grant

      11 Mar
      HIKE 1
      Place: TBA
      Grade: Moderate
      Leaders: Peter and Sam
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: Tai Lam
      Grade: Easy but long
      Leader: Oz

      18 Mar
      HIKE 1
      Place: Cheung Chau Island
      Grade: Easy to Moderate (tortoises can do short version while others continue)
      Leaders: Lynn and Peter McTavish
      and
      HIKE 2
      Leader needed

      25 Mar
      HIKE 1
      Place:
      Grade: Easy
      Leaders: Grace Chan, Christiane & Frank
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: DB to Mui Wo via Tiger's Head
      Grade: Strenuous
      Leader: Lynn Seymour

      1 April
      HK SEVENS - ONE HIKE ONLY
      Place: Kotewall Road - Shek O (done in 3 parts)
      Grade:
      Leader: Bill Galvin

      8 April
      HIKE 1
      Place: Wilson Trail. Luk Keng - Tai Mei Tuk
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Jenny Wu
      and
      HIKE 2
      Leader needed

      15 April (Easter is 14-17 April)
      EASTER - ONE HIKE ONLY
      Place: Shek Pik to Tai O
      Grade: Moderate
      Leader: Bill & Shuan Galvin

      22 April
      HIKE 1
      Place: Yuen Tsuen Trail
      Grade:
      Leader: John the Vet (97394878)
      and
      HIKE 2
      Leader needed

      29 April
      HIKE 1
      Place: Tung Ping Chau (?)
      Grade:
      Leader: Susie Whaley
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: Fanling to Tai Po
      John the Vet

      6 May
      HIKE 1
      Place: HK Island
      Grade: Moderate
      Leaders: Liz and Malcolm
      and
      HIKE 2
      Place: Plover Cove
      Grade: Strenuous
      Leader: John the Vet

      13 May
      HIKE 1
      Place: Tai Lam Chung Reservoir
      Grade:
      Leader: Jenny Wu
      and
      HIKE 2
      Leader needed

      20 May (Last official hike of the season)
      HIKE 1
      Place: Tai Tam and Dragon's Back
      Grade: Moderate
      Leaders: Anna and Michal

      27 May - END OF SEASON DINNER - Football Club

      This document is located at
      http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UJZQQfqMrq9qr03vrBYJkPypu00zboIOeTleA9NJKFk1Vh9lYtzturD2KBUyheueDSUNxH9LCJzW2NFwB7KP/Hiking%20Schedule
    • SaturdayHikers@yahoogroups.com
      Message 195 of 195 , Sep 18, 2011
        SaturdayHikers have officially stopped hikes as of June 2011. We officially commence hikes again from October 2011. If anyone wishes to lead a hike from October onwards, please inform us of your choice of Saturday and we will put you on our hiking list for our next season.

        However, if any one wishes to lead a short (2 hrs max?) hike over the summer months with swimming/rock pools etc and/or eating at a dai pai dong at the end, please post your hike or let one of convenors know (see below):

        Our hikes depend upon volunteer leaders and if you wish to volunteer to lead a hike, please email Lynn on twiggyseymour@... or Bill on asialog@... (in case one of us is away) with your choice of date (after checking if it is available below)and your name will be pasted on this list. Please be specific as to area of your hike so that others planning a hike will not duplicate in the same area, e.g. Tai O, Lantau and not just "Lantau". You will need to send out full details of your hike or activity during the week prior to the Saturday by posting them on this website yourself.

        Please realise that you have responsibility as a leader to know the hike you lead well (eg. to have recced the hike recently prior to leading it). An advantage is take chalk with you to mark the correct turnings if there are several choices and in order to allow slower hikers to follow the correct way and not get lost! If your group is very small, the leader should keep with the group to ensure they do not get lost and are guided to the end of the hike.

        Additional Information to be provided by the leader in an e-mail a few days before the hike:

        Meeting Place & Time:
        How to get there:
        Itinerary :
        Start and End Locations:
        Detailed Description:
        Possible Hike exits for an easy alternative:
        Walking Time:
        What to bring? :
        Leader contact telephone details:

        Greg Blumenthal, one of our hikers, has created two First Aid Kits � one large and one small (the small one is very compact and of a light weight). We should like our hike leaders to carry one of these kits in their backpack in case of need. Ideally we would wish that one hike leader arrange to pass it to the next hike leader or a hiker who knows they can attend the next hike to pass it onto the leader. Once we get into this habit, hopefully it will work out. Failing that, you can give the kit back to Greg and the next leader can arrange to pick it up from him. We have had some falls during hikes where minor medical care was needed and without plasters, sterile wipes etc, it could have been very uncomfortable for the hiker to continue.

        Over a year ago we started doing 2 hikes every Saturday so that we do not have large unmanageable groups and make it difficult to take public transport i.e. buses or taxis. We usually ask that we have one strenuous or moderate hike and one easy hike. We need leaders for the 2 different hike levels.

        PLEASE NOTE THE HIKE LISTINGS BELOW AND THE DISCLAIMER:

        Disclaimer. Participants in walks do so entirely at their own risk. No responsibility is implied or taken for any inaccuracies in the itineraries. The walks may be cancelled, the destination changed or the level of endurance altered without prior notice. By joining the walk, all participants are deemed to have agreed to the terms and conditions contained in this disclaimer, and agreed to exonerate the walk leaders, The organisers and any other participants in the walk from any liabilities, claims, including but not limited to liabilities and claims as a result of any injuries or damages arising thereof.

        SATURDAY HIKE DATES TAKEN BY VOLUNTEER LEADER(S)WILL OFFICIALLY COMMENCE IN OCTOBER 2011

        REMINDER - It is the hike leader's responsibility to post full details of their hike during the week prior to their hike (see guidelines above). Some leaders have not indicated the level of fitness for their hike ie 'easy', 'moderate' or 'strenuous' - please let Lynn or Bill known so we can add this to your hike.

        We will list hike dates from here:

        For example: Hike 1 (area) - (put here whether strenuous/moderate/easy) - (name of hike leader)

        e.g. October 3 Walk: (area to be given)
        Leader: (name)
        Level: (Easy ? Moderate? Strenuous?)

        HIKES FROM OCTOBER 2011: