Re: New file uploaded to SatSignal

  • David Taylor
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 21, 2004
      --- In SatSignal@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Findlay" <tom@g...> wrote:
      > Hmmm .... this is not good I'm thinking Trevor but I haven't a
      clue what's wrong. I am seeing errors myself when I try to access
      the file directly through the link sent out but I can log into the
      files area then download and run it successfully. I'll leave it up
      for a short time then delete from both msg-1 and satsignal file
      areas. Also, I don't want to clog up everyone's inboxes with
      exchanged messages about this.

      > Thanks .. Tom.

      Tom,

      For what it's worth, I can download the file from both MSG-1 and
      SatSignal's Files area, by going to the Files area and right-
      clicking the file, and then selecting Save target as....

      However, I can play neither of the files on my XP/Windows Media
      Player V9.00.00 system. It tries to download a Codec for the file
      but fails in the download. On the portable (XP Home, WMP 9.00.00)
      it plays OK, the File, Properties menu showing CyberLink audio and
      video codecs..... Must see if I can find these for download.

      Cheers,
      David
    • Thomas Findlay
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 21, 2004
        Thanks David ....

        I'm essentially seeing the same as yourself. Yes, the codec is CyberLink
        and I have used this for a long time producing short bits of video for
        various purposes, admittedly for a limited audience but I've never seen any
        problems. The application that I'm using just now for this video
        editing/compression is MAGIX VideoDeLuxe 2.0 Pro., an application that has
        served me very well. If I get some time later, I might try Adobe Premier
        6.5 and its codecs; I can't remember what its codec options are for MPEG
        though. You may have seen my response to Arne's last message on the
        satsignal list where I give an error message from the Yahoo server (msg-1
        file area download being attempted), i.e. " The document you requested is
        temporarily unavailable because this group has exceeded its download limit.
        Please try again later" I can see that there is 'apparently' enough space
        but this is what is returned when I try to right-click/save-as.

        Ah well, if anyone is really interested then I can send them the file.

        Regards ... Tom.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 21, 2004
          --- Thomas Findlay <tom@...> wrote:
          > [SNIPPED]

          Thomas,

          I downloaded the movie clip and could play it allright
          ( in both media player as well as Crystal Player .
          Windows Media Player does give an error-message ,
          which goes like this : "downloading codec , failed to
          download codec " but then it plays the clip
          normally.Maginificent clip by the way . I had
          downloaded a HRPT-image of he same ection and was
          wondering on wether o not it was SAND we were seeing
          given the shape of the plume ( almost like a straight
          pencil-line ) . It wouldn't be the first time there
          were fires in that area . Your little clip proves it
          was sand though , so thanks for that little
          clarification :)

          Could be Windws Media Player is just being " stubborn
          " because it doesn't like a codec not produced by
          Microsoft ( all other players : Winamp, Crystal etc. )
          don't have any problem whatsoever in playing the clip
          .

          Rik Wessels

          > removed]

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Thomas Findlay
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 21, 2004
            Cheers Rik .... Thanks for the feedback and your testing efforts. I was
            especially interested to see the 'sandstorm' extend further over the
            southern Saudi region, well into the land area. It all makes me wonder what
            elements come together to create such an effect.

            Regards .. Tom.

            Could be Windws Media Player is just being " stubborn
            " because it doesn't like a codec not produced by
            Microsoft ( all other players : Winamp, Crystal etc. )
            don't have any problem whatsoever in playing the clip
            .

            Rik Wessels

            > removed]

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

            Please cut unnecessary text from your replies.
            Current beta versions: www.satsignal.net => Software, Beta versions.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mrba0o/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705082806:HM/EXP=1087911356/A=2164339/R=0/SIG=11e2d64in/*http://www.
            netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183348> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2164339/rand=508698135>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • a_van_belle
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 23, 2004
              --- In SatSignal@yahoogroups.com, Rik Wessels <rikwes2001@y...> wrote:
              > Could be Windws Media Player is just being " stubborn
              > " because it doesn't like a codec not produced by
              > Microsoft ( all other players : Winamp, Crystal etc. )
              > don't have any problem whatsoever in playing the clip

              Microsoft fitted Windows Mediaplayer V9 standard with only their own
              codecs. Generally WM6,7 and 8 have more codecs and play more !
              But you can add these codecs without being online, below the original
              Microsoft downloads:

              Windows Media 9 Series Codec Installation Package for IT Professionals
              This package can be used as an alternative to automatically
              downloading Windows Media Codecs, or to correct problems experienced
              with previously-downloaded codecs.

              File Name: WM9Codecs.exe
              Download Size: 824 KB
              Date Published: 2/26/2003
              Version: 9 Series
              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=06fcaab7-
              dcc9-466b-b0c4-04db144bb601&DisplayLang=en

              Windows Media Codecs 8.0 for IT Professionals
              This utility installs the following Windows Media Codecs: WM Video
              versions 7 and 8, WM Audio (all versions), WM Screen version 7, and
              other legacy codecs. It is designed to enable network administrators
              to deploy these codecs within their network.

              File Name: wmpcdcs8.exe
              Download Size: 775 KB
              Date Published: 9/9/2001
              Version: 8.0
              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=73c47878-
              20d0-4c1a-96f4-177d7e0074b7&DisplayLang=en

              Codecs Installation Package for Windows Media Player 6.4
              This package is for network administrators who wish to deliver
              support for the latest Windows Media Audio and Video codecs to their
              enterprise desktops running Windows Media Player 6.4.

              File Name: wmp6cdcs.EXE
              Download Size: 1294 KB
              Date Published: 1/6/2004
              Version: 8
              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9be479f8-
              3b3f-491d-9284-2e1a8fae4584&DisplayLang=en

              Overview
              This package contains the following codecs:
              Windows Media Video 9 VCM
              Windows Media Audio
              Windows Media Screen v7
              Windows Media 9 Voice Directshow
              Windows Media Video 8
              MS MPEG v1, v3
              ISO MPEG 4 v1, v1.1

              More info on Codecs:
              http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/codecs.as
              px

              Greetings,
              Arne van Belle
            • David Taylor
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 23, 2004
                --- In SatSignal@yahoogroups.com, "a_van_belle" <a.van.belle@h...>
                []
                > Microsoft fitted Windows Mediaplayer V9 standard with only their
                own codecs. Generally WM6,7 and 8 have more codecs and play more !
                > But you can add these codecs without being online, below the
                original Microsoft downloads:
                []
                > Greetings,
                > Arne van Belle

                Arne,

                Many thanks for those pointers. I tried the WM9 download and,
                whilst it installed OK, I still can't play the readsea_sandstorm
                files on my main PC. It seems they are encoded with a PowerDVD
                codec which is a chargeable download.....

                Cheers,
                David
              • geojohnt@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 23, 2009
                  SatSignal@yahoogroups.com writes:

                  File : /draft_mdrapes_eumetcast_filename_2009_08_14.xls
                  Uploaded by : mdrapes2003 <mdrapes2003@...>
                  Description : Eumetcast Filenames (draft)

                  You can access this file at the URL:
                  me_2009_08_14.xls

                  Hi,

                  I keep getting 'this file is not on the server' ???

                  Regards,
                  John.

                • Moore, Robert
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 23, 2009
                    I keep getting 'this file is not on the server' ???

                    Me too
                    Robert
                  • David J Taylor
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 23, 2009
                      Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:20 PM
                      To: <SatSignal@yahoogroups.com>
                      Subject: Re: [SatSignal] New file uploaded to SatSignal

                      > SatSignal@yahoogroups.com writes:
                      >
                      > File : /draft_mdrapes_eumetcast_filename_2009_08_14.xls
                      > Uploaded by : mdrapes2003 <mdrapes2003@...>
                      > Description : Eumetcast Filenames (draft)
                      >
                      > You can access this file at the URL:
                      > me_2009_08_14.xls
                      >

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I keep getting 'this file is not on the server' ???
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > John.

                      Folks,

                      If you look in the Files area:

                      you will see that Mark has updated the file to:

                      (hoping the above URL doesn't wrap).

                      Cheers,
                      David
                      Web: www.satsignal.eu
                      Email: davidtaylor@...
                    • Peter Wakelin
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                        I updated to MDM 2.5.34.883 and Animator 2.5.32.247 a couple of days ago
                        and all seemed OK at the time.

                        My normal operating mode is to have displayed the 10.8 micron image of
                        Europe and North Atlantic in MDM with an animated small portion of the
                        same channel covering UK and nearby.

                        For a long time prior to the upgrade the North Atlantic would update on
                        the monitor at 13.5 minutes after nominal image time and the animation
                        would update just a few seconds later.

                        Now, MDM still updates at +13.5 minutes but Animator is delayed until
                        +19.3 minutes and, what's more, this delay is increasing.

                        Any ideas on how to restore the usual quick animator update?

                        Peter

                        --
                        Peter Wakelin
                      • David J Taylor
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                          > I updated to MDM 2.5.34.883 and Animator 2.5.32.247 a couple of days ago
                          > and all seemed OK at the time.
                          >
                          > My normal operating mode is to have displayed the 10.8 micron image of
                          > Europe and North Atlantic in MDM with an animated small portion of the
                          > same channel covering UK and nearby.
                          >
                          > For a long time prior to the upgrade the North Atlantic would update on
                          > the monitor at 13.5 minutes after nominal image time and the animation
                          > would update just a few seconds later.
                          >
                          > Now, MDM still updates at +13.5 minutes but Animator is delayed until
                          > +19.3 minutes and, what's more, this delay is increasing.
                          >
                          > Any ideas on how to restore the usual quick animator update?
                          >
                          > Peter

                          Peter,

                          To the best of my knowledge, there should have been no change in the way
                          the updates operate compared to recent version of the programs, and I
                          haven't had any other reports (yet!).

                          I would check that in the setup for the animation you have the Animation,
                          Updates set to (none). This will mean that the updates are triggered from
                          the MSG Data Manager running on the same PC as the MSG Animator. Setting
                          updates to 15 mins, for example, will stop the updates being triggered
                          automatically, but should update the animation about every fifteen
                          minutes.

                          I'll check on my own system, and report if I see the problem.

                          Cheers,
                          David
                          Web: www.satsignal.eu
                          Email: davidtaylor@...
                        • David J Taylor
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                            > I'll check on my own system, and report if I see the problem.
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > David

                            It's updating just as I expect - as soon as the channel 9 image is saved
                            by the MSG Data Manager, the MSG Animator is called to update the
                            animation.

                            Cheers,
                            David
                            Web: www.satsignal.eu
                            Email: davidtaylor@...
                          • Peter Wakelin
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                              In message <F0B61AA177FC4381826F2163767C64C0@narvik>, David J Taylor
                              <gm8arv@...> writes
                              >I would check that in the setup for the animation you have the Animation,
                              >Updates set to (none). This will mean that the updates are triggered from
                              >the MSG Data Manager running on the same PC as the MSG Animator. Setting
                              >updates to 15 mins, for example, will stop the updates being triggered
                              >automatically, but should update the animation about every fifteen
                              >minutes.

                              Thanks, David. I had the setting at 15 minutes (which seemed the
                              obvious choice for 15-minute imagery) and it's been fine for years.
                              I've now changed it to (none) and it is updating immediately the new
                              data is in MDM.

                              Thanks again,

                              Peter
                              --
                              Peter Wakelin
                            • David J Taylor
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 26, 2009
                                > Thanks, David. I had the setting at 15 minutes (which seemed the
                                > obvious choice for 15-minute imagery) and it's been fine for years.
                                > I've now changed it to (none) and it is updating immediately the new
                                > data is in MDM.
                                >

                                > Thanks again,
                                >
                                > Peter

                                Thanks for reporting back, Peter. I can't recall the details now, but
                                there was a reason for decoupling the automatic updates from the timed
                                ones, and hence the effect you observed.

                                Cheers,
                                David
                                Web: www.satsignal.eu
                                Email: davidtaylor@...