Duck Mtn.P.P. & S.E.Sask Birding -Day 3

  • plantman108
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 6:42 PM
      My third day this week was a trip through Weyburn, Estevan and
      Roche Percee. The main goal was the Roche Percee area which I have
      never visited. Armed with my grid map, Places to bird in Canada
      book, and Bob L. recent posting, along I went.

      I had a brief look for Chimney Swifts in Weyburn but to no avail
      so headed along to Estevan where I checked out some of the mine
      spoils piles and ponds.I noted some swallows; Bank and Barn I
      believe.I wanted to be in R.P. just after 7a.m. so I got on my way
      quickly.

      I took the Taylorton road and stopped at the old campsite. What a
      special little place.Bobolinks and Mountain Bluebirds greeted me.
      Into the actual campsite area I found Black-billed Cuckoo, Yellow-
      breasted Chat,Coopers Hawk, Gray Catbird and Yellow Warbler.

      The area was alive with song this a.m. The most notable were the
      amount of Y.B.Chats singing and calling.

      I next headed west following the grid to the townsite.
      Y.S.Flickers, Lark Sparrows,Red-tailed Hawks(2) and a Blue Jay were
      seen along this route.

      Between the campsite and the west grid there was a lot of Dutch
      Elm Disease evident. Just a matter of time I'm sure.

      West of R.P. I followed the road to the old Buffalo Compound.
      Here I parked and birded along the road. Spotted Towhee,Black-headed
      Grosbeak,Y.B.Chats, Lark Sparrows, Warbling Vireo, N.Harrier and Red-
      tailed Hawks were seen. My main goal in this area was to find a Rock
      Wren in the mine spoils. I was not dissapointed as one landed on a
      pile next to the road. It then moved to the fence and sang with a
      response coming from the south. What a treat.

      I headed back to the old campsite area wanting to check out the
      east side of it. I took the Heritage Cemetary road and then into the
      campsite from that end. Temps. were getting very hot and song was
      greatly diminished.I was glad the path was greatly shaded.

      It was here that my day was made. I had noted more Chats,
      Catbirds, Great blue Heron,and then an Eastern Wood-Peewee.As I
      watched this bird I caught some movement to my left. I heard a faint
      short 'vree ett' sound and wondered. It was; a beautiful Yellow-
      throated Vireo, and in clear view. I took a couple of stills and
      some video. Oh that made my day; Thanks Bob L. for the post.

      Also noted was an Eastern Bluebird, and another Great Blue Heron,
      two White-breasted Nuthatches,Cedar Waxwing and a House Wren.

      On my way home I drove north of McTaggart and west on the first
      crossroad. Here I saw 4 Lark Buntings. Would this be approx. to the
      area that you saw them Val?

      Home time and some rest. It was 34C by the time I headed home.
      Thank goodness for air conditioning.Cheerio.

      Steven Weir
      Regina,Sk
    • valndoyle
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1 8:29 PM
        Great sightings Steve. Did you pass our place with the Purple Martin
        houses on the front grass area? We're happy to have quite a few
        pairs this year. The Lark Buntings we saw were north to the
        crossroad and then east, probably 4 miles difference but it's nice
        to know they are in that area as well. When you took the first
        crossroad west you probably crossed over a bridge by an abandoned
        farmhouse and a barn half fallen down. We own that quarter,about
        five miles from our place. I've been meaning to check the barn for
        Great-horned Owls as we see one north of us now and then.

        Speaking of which, we were in Moose Jaw today and on the way back
        noted a Great-horned Owl perching in an old barn window west of
        Wilcox. We walked for a couple of hours at Buffalo Pound and saw
        several pairs of Bobolinks at very close views, a Grey Catbird,
        Northern Harriers, Yellow Warblers, American Goldfinch and Franklin
        Gulls. Quite a few people were using the walking paths.

        Your notes and Bob's will be very helpful as our Nature Society is
        hoping to get to Roche Percee very soon. We're hoping the western
        lilies are out. Thanks for the nice read.

        Val Thomas - McTaggart

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "plantman108" <plantman108@...>