Re: Piping Plover Census in SW Sask.

  • Ryan Dudragne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
      Martin and Carol,

      On the map, nearly every somewhat large body of water said "salt";
      ours was the only one on our topo to say "Salt Lake". I have little
      doubt that there are Piping Plovers in the Missouri Coteau; it would
      seem that there are some excellent areas within this region.

      Unfortunately our locations failed to yield plovers, as we were very
      much looking forward to locate them. But on other occasions, we have
      come across several possible places for them to nest. There is so
      much area, and so little man power to survey each and every place. It
      still was an interesting experience, and I will certainly participate
      in the next plover census.

      Cheers,

      Ryan

      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bailey and Bjorklund <cmbb@...> wrote:

      > We surveyed Salt Lake starting at noon. By this time, the wind had
      > picked up, and some light drizzle occasionally descended. Within 45
      > minutes, it was showering down prettly well. This is a long lake, with
      > steep banks on the sides, a grassy marsh at one end, and something
      > similar at the other end. The former end has a dike leading from a
      > muddy pond above it. THis was all cattle-trampled as well. When Robert
      > Kreba (I think) surveyed this lake in 1991, the latter end was a nice
      > beachy area; this has since filled in with vegetation and perhaps higher
      > water levels. Not surprisingly, there were no Pipers here, either.
      >
      > ** It seems that there are a lot of "Salt Lakes" in SK.
      > Way back when the Earth was green we did the initial surveys for Piping
      > Plovers.
      > Dale Hjertaas thought, " I wonder if there are Piping Plovers in the
      > Missouri Coteau."
      > And there was. Including on the Salt Lake that we surveyed.
      >
      > After that, surveys were officially organized. **
      >
      > Martin and Carol.
      >

      > --

    • Bailey and Bjorklund