Field Sparrow Revisited

  • plantman108
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1 5:39 AM
      I went down to the Smith St. location around 5:ooa.m. I parked
      across from 2113 and as I opened the door of the car I could hear
      the distinctive song of the Field Sparrow.

      I walked north and seemed to be getting closer and then turned
      west through an open parking lot. I realized the bird was singing
      from the east. The sound was bouncing off the apartments etc.

      I finally located it in a tree on the north side of 2121 Smith
      St. It was flitting in the upper canopy, pausing to sing.

      Through this entire time, the sparrow was singing. It would pause
      for 10 seconds and then sing again. This made locating it easier,
      not to mention there was no traffic.

      I had a hard time getting a detailed view of the sparrow. At one
      point I had a sillouetted view while it sang which was nice.

      It sang from approx. 5:10a.m. until 5:30a.m. and then completely
      went silent. I searched for another 45 min. and was later joined by
      Bob L. but we were not able to relocate it.

      Bob informed me that the tree I saw it in was the same tree he
      saw it in yesterday.

      Good to see the bird was still around.

      Steven Weir
      Regina,Sk