Flames Doused...

  • Guy J. Wapple
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2006
      Fellow Birders,

      My year list is slowly growing, but alas family/work pressures
      haven't allowed me much time to fill you all in with the needless
      details of which-engine-number-and-how-many-cars-I-was-pulling-on-
      whatever-train-it-was-at-the-time! And how about the recent return
      to wintry weather? Brr! I am still bringing my trusty fleece to
      work with me. I'm also hoping our exposed perennials don't freeze
      too hard overnight!

      Earlier I watched "my" Flames go down to the Mighty Ducks from
      Anaheim in Game 7. They just didn't have it against a very
      determined opponent. All credit is due to the Ducks who played a
      very strong game. The two Keith's Pale Ale consumed during the
      proceedings, numbed the pain somewhat! It felt like twice that
      many, as I was up all night as well, with a brief crash and burn
      session downstairs this afternoon.

      Since jumping on a few minutes ago, I looked over Ryan's 2006 list
      posted and don't see SORA yet. Or maybe I just plain missed it!
      BTW, congrats on the elusive LB CU, Ryan! I knew you'd see one
      sooner or later.

      Another short story. In the wee small hours of May 1, I stopped at
      Perdue Marsh on the way out to taxi to Wainwright for train 402.
      Lots of ducks, geese and frogs making various sounds, but nothing
      too exciting.

      On the trip, I had only one new for 2006 bird: Bufflehead. Finally
      a pair near Artland to fill in a very obvious hole in my card!

      Dropped in on my Mom for a few minutes. We did some yard clean-up
      and did some work on her perennial border. Then we stopped in at
      the hospital and visited my sick aunt Martha for awhile. While I
      was tired after the all-nighter, I felt like making a loop around
      the lakes at Perdue on the way home. It was overcast, +11 with very
      gusty winds. Lots of birds in the area, so a few minutes turned
      into nearly two hours! There were TONS of ducks and geese, plus
      several new birds for '06 in the following order:

      Brown-headed Cowbird - 1 male W of Perdue.

      Eared Grebe - 2 on Middle Van Scoy Lake.

      Ross's Goose - 18 NE of MVS Lake.

      Marsh Wren - 4 heard 'sewing' away in the cattails. Must have
      arrived this morning, as they weren't calling after midnight!

      Sora - 1 heard. Same story as above and a 'good' early spring
      arrival date for our area.

      White-crowned Sprw - 1, just S of Perdue.

      White-throated Sprw - Also one jsut S of Perdue.

      Lots more to tell you about, and who knows? I might just get to do
      it after my next trip which looks like first thing tomorrow
      morning!!!...

      Cheers,

      Guy Wapple,
      S'toon