2006 Saskatchewan Year List

  • Ryan Dudragne
    Message 1 of 44 , May 3, 2006
      Good Evening All,

      Sorry for the delay in posting an update, but I have had significant
      computer grief in the last few days, and have hardly been able to load
      up without being booted off with another error message. Anyway, I will
      not bore you with the details in a heated rant I can feel boiling up!! :~)

      As of April 30, we had more than surpassed my original goal of 175
      species up to that point; with 37 new additions in the last two weeks,
      we made it up to 190 species, plus another one in the last couple of
      days gives 191! Not to shabby! One highlight was certainly finding a
      White-faced Ibis in the venerable Laura area. After such a long period
      has passed, hopefully the strange pelican in the Saskatoon area can be
      relocated.

      By the next update of this list, I trust that there will be a few more
      sparrows and warblers to be added, along with other spring migrants.
      Hopefully the weather cooperates for these, and especially our other
      insect-eaters, namely the bluebirds and swallows as they prepare for
      breeding/nesting.

      New to the list: Cinnamon Teal, Greater Sage Grouse, Clark's Grebe,
      American Bittern, White-faced Ibis, Osprey, Semipalmated Plover, Piping
      Plover, Black-necked Stilt, Willet, Hudsonian Godwit, Marbled Godwit,
      Sanderling, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Baird's Sandpiper,
      Pectoral Sandpiper, Short-billed Dowitcher, Long-billed Dowitcher,
      Wilson's Snipe, Forster's Tern, Eastern Screech-Owl, Burrowing Owl,
      Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Red-naped Sapsucker, Say's Phoebe, Loggerhead
      Shrike, Purple Martin, Hermit Thrush, American Pipit, Sprague's Pipit,
      Orange-crowned Warbler, Savannah Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow,
      White-throated Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Smith's Longspur,
      Brown-headed Cowbird

      As usual, feel free to let me know of any errors, additions, questions,
      or comments that you may have. Happy birding All!

      Cheers,

      Ryan Dudragne
      Swift Current, SK

      2006 Saskatchewan Year List

      1. Greater White-fronted Goose (Mar. 27)
      2. Snow Goose (Mar. 28)
      3. Ross' Goose (Apr. 01)
      4. Cackling Goose (Mar 25)
      5. Canada Goose (Jan. 03)
      6. Tundra Swan (Apr. 02)
      7. Wood Duck (Apr. 15)
      8. Gadwall (Apr. 01)
      9. Eurasian Wigeon
      05 Apr. 2006 - Regina
      10. American Wigeon (Mar. 27)
      11. Mallard (Jan. 03)
      12. Blue-winged Teal (Apr. 08)
      13. Cinnamon Teal (Apr. 25)
      14. Northern Shoveler (Mar. 28)
      15. Northern Pintail (Feb. 10)
      16. Green-winged Teal (Apr. 01)
      17. Canvasback (Mar. 24)
      18. Redhead (Mar. 12)
      19. Ring-necked Duck (Apr. 05)
      20. Greater Scaup (Apr. 05)
      21. Lesser Scaup (Jan. 07)
      22. Bufflehead (Mar. 18)
      23. Common Goldeneye (Jan. 02)
      24. Hooded Merganser (Mar. 08)
      25. Common Merganser (Jan. 05)
      26. Red-breasted Merganser (Apr. 09)
      27. Ruddy Duck (Apr. 06)
      28. Gray Partridge (Jan. 01)
      29. Ring-necked Pheasant (Jan. 04)
      30. Ruffed Grouse (Jan. 02)
      31. Greater Sage-Grouse (Apr. 07)
      32. Spruce Grouse (Jan. 05)
      33. Sharp-tailed Grouse (Jan. 01)
      34. Wild Turkey (Jan. 02)
      35. Common Loon (Apr. 13)
      36. Pied-billed Grebe (Apr. 09)
      37. Horned Grebe (Apr. 13)
      38. Red-necked Grebe (Apr. 11)
      39. Eared Grebe (Apr. 14)
      40. Western Grebe (Apr. 15)
      41. Clark's Grebe (Apr. 30)
      42. American White Pelican (Apr. 05)
      43. Double-crested Cormorant (Apr. 06)
      44. American Bittern (Apr. 27)
      45. Great Blue Heron (Jan. __)(Apr. 07)
      46. Great Egret (Apr. 10)
      47. Cattle Egret (Apr. 09)
      48. Black-crowned Night-Heron (Apr. 16)
      49. White-faced Ibis (Apr. 30)
      50. Turkey Vulture (Mar. 24)
      51. Osprey (May 02)
      52. Bald Eagle (Jan. 02)
      53. Northern Harrier (Mar. 08)
      54. Sharp-shinned Hawk (Jan. 05)
      55. Cooper's Hawk (Feb.__)
      56. Northern Goshawk (Jan. 02)
      57. Broad-winged Hawk (Mar. 08)
      58. Swainson's Hawk (Apr. 05)
      59. Red-tailed Hawk (Mar. 24)
      60. Ferruginous Hawk (Mar. 17)
      61. Rough-legged Hawk (Jan. 05)
      62. Golden Eagle (Jan. 02)
      63. American Kestrel (Mar. 22)
      64. Merlin (Jan. 02)
      65. Gyrfalcon (Feb. 27)
      66. Peregrine Falcon (Apr. 11)
      67. Prairie Falcon (Jan. 04)
      68. American Coot (Apr. 01)
      69. Sandhill Crane (Apr. 01)
      70. Whooping Crane (Apr. 15)
      71. Semipalmated Plover (Apr. 30)
      72. Piping Plover (Apr. 29)
      73. Killdeer (Apr. 01)
      74. Black-necked Stilt (Apr. 23)
      75. American Avocet (Apr. 10)
      76. Greater Yellowlegs (Apr. 07)
      77. Lesser Yellowlegs (Apr. 15)
      78. Solitary Sandpiper (Apr. 07)
      79. Willet (Apr. 22)
      80. Long-billed Curlew (Apr. 14)
      81. Hudsonian Godwit (Apr. 20)
      82. Marbled Godwit (Apr. 22)
      83. Sanderling (Apr. 29)
      84. Semipalmated Sandpiper (Apr. 26)
      85. Least Sandpiper (Apr. 29)
      86. Baird's Sandpiper (Apr. 30)
      87. Pectoral Sandpiper (Apr. 29)
      88. Short-billed Dowitcher (Apr. 28)
      89. Long-billed Dowitcher (Apr. 30)
      90. Wilson's Snipe (Apr. 22)
      91. Franklin's Gull (Mar. 25)
      92. Bonaparte's Gull (Apr. 16)
      93. Ring-billed Gull (Mar. 22)
      94. California Gull (Mar. 23)
      95. Herring Gull (Mar. 22)
      96. Thayer's Gull (Apr. 09)
      97. Lesser Black-backed Gull
      05-13 April 2006 - Regina
      98. Glaucous Gull (Mar. 31)
      99. Forster's Tern (Apr. 24)
      100. Rock Pigeon (Jan. 01)
      101. Eurasian Collared Dove (Jan. 01)
      102. Mourning Dove (Jan./Feb.__)
      103. Eastern Screech-Owl (Apr. 28)
      104. Great Horned Owl (Jan. 01)
      105. Snowy Owl (Jan. 01)
      106. Northern Hawk Owl (Jan. 05)
      107. Burrowing Owl (Apr. 15)
      108. Barred Owl (Feb. 04)
      109. Great Gray Owl (Jan. 05)
      110. Long-eared Owl (Apr. 02)
      111. Short-eared Owl (Jan. 02)
      112. Boreal Owl (Apr 16)
      113. Northern Saw-whet Owl (Feb. 19)
      114. Belted Kingfisher (Apr. 17)
      115. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Apr. 19)
      116. Red-naped Sapsucker (Apr. 25)
      117. Downy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
      118. Hairy Woodpecker (Jan. 02)
      119. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Feb. 25)
      120. Black-backed Woodpecker (Jan. 05)
      121. Northern Flicker (Jan. 01)
      122. Pileated Woodpecker (Jan. 03)
      123. Eastern Phoebe (Apr. 12)
      124. Say's Phoebe (Apr. 23)
      125. Loggerhead Shrike (Apr. 21)
      126. Northern Shrike (Jan. 02)
      127. Gray Jay (Jan. 05)
      128. Blue Jay (Jan. 01)
      129. Black-billed Magpie (Jan. 01)
      130. American Crow (Jan. 03)
      131. Common Raven (Jan. 02)
      132. Horned Lark (Jan. 02)
      133. Purple Martin (Apr. 22)
      134. Tree Swallow (Apr. 13)
      135. Black-capped Chickadee (Jan. 01)
      136. Boreal Chickadee (Jan. 02)
      137. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
      138. White-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
      139. Brown Creeper (Jan. 01)
      140. Marsh Wren (Jan. 10) (Apr. 16)
      141. American Dipper (Jan.__)
      04 Dec. 2005-Mar. 2006 -- Eastend
      142. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
      143. Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Apr. 16)
      144. Eastern Bluebird (Apr. 05)
      145. Mountain Bluebird (Mar. 07)
      146. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 07)
      147. Hermit Thrush (Apr. 20)
      148. American Robin (Jan. 01)
      149. Varied Thrush (Jan. 01)
      150. European Starling (Jan. 01)
      151. American Pipit (Apr. 29)
      152. Sprague's Pipit (Apr. 20)
      153. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
      154. Cedar Waxwing (late Jan.)
      155. Orange-crowned Warbler (Apr. 17)
      156. Yellow-rumped Warbler (Apr. 07)
      157. Eastern Towhee (Jan. 02)
      158. American Tree Sparrow (Jan. 02)
      159. Chipping Sparrow (Apr. 11)
      160. Vesper Sparrow (Apr. 13)
      161. Lark Bunting (Apr. 10)
      162. Savannah Sparrow (Apr. 22)
      163. Fox Sparrow (Apr. 08)
      164. Song Sparrow (Apr. 07)
      165. Lincoln's Sparrow (Apr. 22)
      166. White-throated Sparrow (Apr. 24)
      167. White-crowned Sparrow (Apr. 14)
      168. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 04)
      169. McCown's Longspur (Apr. 14)
      170. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 02)
      171. Smith's Longspur (Apr. 15)
      172. Chestnut-collared Longspur (Apr. 12)
      173. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
      174. Northern Cardinal (Jan. 01)
      Since 22 Sept. 2005-Jan. 2006, Regina
      175. Red-winged Blackbird (Mar. 07)
      176. Western Meadowlark (Feb. 13)
      177. Yellow-headed Blackbird (Apr. 18)
      178. Rusty Blackbird (Jan. 02)
      179. Brewer's Blackbird (Jan. 09)
      180. Common Grackle (Jan. 03)
      181. Brown-headed Cowbird (Apr. 22)
      182. Pine Grosbeak (Jan. 05)
      183. Purple Finch (Jan. 17)
      184. House Finch (Jan. 01)
      185. Red Crossbill (Apr. 01)
      186. White-winged Crossbill (mid-Feb.)
      187. Common Redpoll (Feb. 04)
      188. Pine Siskin (Feb. 08)
      189. American Goldfinch (Jan. 03)
      190. Evening Grosbeak (Jan. 02)
      191. House Sparrow (Jan. 01)

    • Val
      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 23, 2009
        oops!:-) About 15 km south of Weyburn 18 coveys of Grey Partridge were
        spotted in 10 km.

        Val

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Saunders" <nikovich71@...>