Out like a lamb (or a BOH Barrage??)

  • M A
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      Yesterday was a beautiful day... with the temperatures hitting 14ºC/
      57ºF. March definitely went out like a lamb!!!

      I started my last day of work at a place I've been for 16.25 years by
      driving the 7.5 km mi trek greeted by a bright, warm sun in the eastern
      sky and 4 pairs of Canada Geese flying overhead. There were also 5
      unidentified Gulls, 2 Black-billed Magpies, & 18 Rock Pigeons to cheer
      me along the way!!!

      The icing on the cake was around 6:00 PM when 100+ Bohemian Waxwings
      flew into our Mountain Ash. Soon, the total quickly grew to 1000+
      Bohemian Waxwings... in our tree and on the ground - taking advantage of
      the berries and one very small water puddle near the young buffaloberry
      hedge. The Waxwings flew in and out of our yard for several minutes,
      finally deciding to roost for a couple minutes on the neighbour's big
      trees across the street. As I watched them, a lone American Crow flew
      by, and the flock started to get nervous. I thought that strange...
      suddenly, the entire flock rose up and away. I scanned the trees,
      looking for a lag-behind... and found the reason for the Waxwings
      leaving -- a male Merlin sat near the top of one of the big trees!!!! I
      never did see the Bohs return last evening. The only other birds we had
      yesterday late afternoon/early evening were House Finches & House Sparrows.

      Monday I start a new job out at a natural gas compressor plant... 25
      minute drive northwest of here (one-way). Hopefully I will see
      something of interest and excitement every day as I drive to and from work.

      May the flocks be with you this weekend as the migration speeds up...

      - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net