2006 Saskatchewan Year List

  • Ryan Dudragne
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 31, 2006
      Good Evening All,

      We did it! Last time I updated this list, I asked for 100 species by
      the end of March, and by golly, that is exactly what we have. Thanks to
      everyone for your awesome sightings! We have fifteen species to add to
      the list as of this update, March 31. These include mainly a number of
      geese, ducks, and gulls. The final two species added for today include
      a *Glaucous Gull* by Steven Weir in Regina, and a Swainson's Hawk in
      Kronau from Scott Wilson. Is this a somewhat early date for this
      species? Last year, I had an adult Swainson's on Mar. 29th, and that
      was considered early. At any rate, I'm glad they're back!

      As for gulls, 'tis the season for wayfaring ones; Glaucous is good, but
      Calgary has a Lesser Black-backed Gull AND a possible Slaty-backed Gull
      as well! And keep an eye out for Eurasian Wigeon-- Alberta also has a
      couple of them around, too!

      New to the list: Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose, Cackling
      Goose, American Wigeon, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Canvasback,
      Swainson's Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, Franklin's Gull,
      Ring-billed Gull, California Gull, Herring Gull, Glaucous Gull

      Good Birding,

      Ryan Dudragne
      Saskatoon, SK

      PS: If anyone spots a discrepancy or omission to the list, or has any
      comments, questions, etc., I would like to hear about it!

      2006 Saskatchewan Year List

      1. Greater White-fronted Goose (Mar. 27)
      2. Snow Goose (Mar. 28)
      3. Cackling Goose (Mar 25)
      4. Canada Goose (Jan. 03)
      5. American Wigeon (Mar. 27)
      6. Mallard (Jan. 03)
      7. Northern Shoveler (Mar. 28)
      8. Northern Pintail (Feb. 10)
      9. Canvasback (Mar. 24)
      10. Redhead (Mar. 12)
      11. Lesser Scaup (Jan. 07)
      12. Bufflehead (Mar. 18)
      13. Common Goldeneye (Jan. 02)
      14. Hooded Merganser (Mar. 08)
      15. Common Merganser (Jan. 05)
      16. Gray Partridge (Jan. 01)
      17. Ring-necked Pheasant (Jan. 04)
      18. Ruffed Grouse (Jan. 02)
      19. Spruce Grouse (Jan. 05)
      20. Sharp-tailed Grouse (Jan. 01)
      21. Wild Turkey (Mar. 07)
      22. Great Blue Heron (____)
      23. Bald Eagle (Jan. 02)
      24. Northern Harrier (Mar. 08)
      25. Sharp-shinned Hawk (Jan. 05)
      26. Cooper's Hawk (Feb.__)
      27. Northern Goshawk (Jan. 02)
      28. Broad-winged Hawk (Mar. 08)
      29. Swainson's Hawk (Mar. 31)
      30. Red-tailed Hawk (Mar. 24)
      31. Ferruginous Hawk (Mar. 17)
      32. Rough-legged Hawk (Jan. 05)
      33. Golden Eagle (Jan. 02)
      34. American Kestrel (Mar. 22)
      35. Merlin (Jan. 02)
      36. Gyrfalcon (Feb. 27)
      37. Prairie Falcon (Jan. 04)
      38. Franklin's Gull (Mar. 25)
      39. Ring-billed Gull (Mar. 22)
      40. California Gull (Mar. 23)
      41. Herring Gull (Mar. 22)
      42. Glaucous Gull (Mar. 31)
      43. Rock Pigeon (Jan. 01)
      44. Eurasian Collared Dove (Jan. 01)
      45. Mourning Dove (Jan./Feb.__)
      46. Great Horned Owl (Jan. 01)
      47. Snowy Owl (Jan. 01)
      48. Northern Hawk Owl (Jan. 05)
      49. Barred Owl (Feb. 04)
      50. Great Gray Owl (Jan. 05)
      51. Short-eared Owl (Jan. 02)
      52. Northern Saw-whet Owl (Feb. 19)
      53. Downy Woodpecker (Jan. 01)
      54. Hairy Woodpecker (Jan. 02)
      55. American Three-toed Woodpecker (Feb. 25)
      56. Black-backed Woodpecker (Jan. 05)
      57. Northern Flicker (Jan. 01)
      58. Pileated Woodpecker (Jan. 03)
      59. Northern Shrike (Jan. 02)
      60. Gray Jay (Jan. 05)
      61. Blue Jay (Jan. 01)
      62. Black-billed Magpie (Jan. 01)
      63. American Crow (Jan. 03)
      64. Common Raven (Jan. 02)
      65. Horned Lark (Jan. 02)
      66. Black-capped Chickadee (Jan. 01)
      67. Boreal Chickadee (Jan. 02)
      68. Red-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
      69. White-breasted Nuthatch (Jan. 01)
      70. Brown Creeper (Jan. 01)
      71. Marsh Wren (Jan. 10)
      72. American Dipper (Jan.__)
      04 Dec. 2005-Mar. 2006 -- Eastend
      73. Golden-crowned Kinglet (Jan. 01)
      74. Mountain Bluebird (Mar. 07)
      75. Townsend's Solitaire (Jan. 07)
      76. American Robin (Jan. 01)
      77. Varied Thrush (Jan. 01)
      78. European Starling (Jan. 01)
      79. Bohemian Waxwing (Jan. 01)
      80. Cedar Waxwing (late Jan.)
      81. Eastern Towhee (Jan. 02)
      82. American Tree Sparrow (Jan. 02)
      83. Dark-eyed Junco (Jan. 04)
      84. Lapland Longspur (Jan. 02)
      85. Snow Bunting (Jan. 01)
      86. Northern Cardinal (Jan. 01)
      Since 22 Sept. 2005- Regina
      87. Red-winged Blackbird (Mar. 07)
      88. Western Meadowlark (Feb. 13)
      89. Rusty Blackbird (Jan. 02)
      90. Brewer's Blackbird (Jan. 09)
      91. Common Grackle (Jan. 03)
      92. Pine Grosbeak (Jan. 05)
      93. Purple Finch (Jan. 17)
      94. House Finch (Jan. 01)
      95. White-winged Crossbill (mid-Feb.)
      96. Common Redpoll (Feb. 04)
      97. Pine Siskin (Feb. 08)
      98. American Goldfinch (Jan. 03)
      99. Evening Grosbeak (Jan. 02)
      100. House Sparrow (Jan. 01)

    • Val
      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 23, 2009
        oops!:-) About 15 km south of Weyburn 18 coveys of Grey Partridge were
        spotted in 10 km.

        Val

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Saunders" <nikovich71@...>