Mountain Bluebirds

  • Dave MacDonald
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1 3:12 PM
      Howdy fellow bird-nerds:

      I have just recently tuned into your bird group and really enjoy it, thanks.  I just thought I would relate my bluebird sightings from Saturday.  I went on a mission to clean out some of the bluebird houses near Craven.  I managed to do the grid from highway #6 to Craven, then north up to the Kannata Valley turnoff (near Silton); a total of about 40 boxes.  Most of the houses sure needed cleaning; I found everything from partially mummified tree swallows to live mice that were using the houses as "hopper bins".  I guess the cleaning came just in time, as the Mountain Bluebirds appear to be back in the area; I observed 7 between #6 and Craven (mostly closer to #6).  I hope they are able to handle the snow ok!  I also got a great look at a Bald Eagle just north of Craven, near the lake.  He actually seemed to be enjoying the 100k winds (unlike myself)!

      Cheers

      Dave

      Dave MacDonald
      Landscape Ecologist
      Saskatchewan Wetland Conservation Corporation
      Email: dave.macdonald@...
      Tel:  (306) 787-9743
      Fax: (306) 787-0780

    • valndoyle
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 23, 2004
        8 Mountain Bluebirds this afternoon 2.2 km SE of Weyburn in a small
        pasture area. Also 1 American Robin was there.

        This morning the Hairy Woodpecker and Downy Woodpecker were both
        sitting on the same tree limb, lengthwise more like a Common Nighthawk
        would do. It was nice to have a close view of the difference in size.

        We saw 3 American Crows and on our land just south of the house and
        what Doyle and I both believe was a Northern Shrike. We first thought
        Loggerhead, as it flew right across in front of the car disappearing
        into the yard trees, but the undersides were very whitish. Neither of
        us has seen a Northern Shrike before. Maybe we still haven't!!

        Val from McTaggart
        Val
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 23, 2004
          Val
          It is much too early for a Loggerhead Shrike. I would bet that you saw a Northern Shrike as they move back through the area in late March at about the same time as the Mt. Bluebird arrive.
          Good birding
          Bob L.
          8 Mountain Bluebirds this afternoon 2.2 km SE of Weyburn in a small
          pasture area. Also 1 American Robin was there.

          This morning the Hairy Woodpecker and Downy Woodpecker were both
          sitting on the same tree limb, lengthwise more like a Common Nighthawk
          would do. It was nice to have a close view of the difference in size.

          We saw 3 American Crows and on our land just south of the house and
          what Doyle and I both believe was a Northern Shrike. We first thought
          Loggerhead, as it flew right across in front of the car disappearing
          into the yard trees, but the undersides were very whitish. Neither of
          us has seen a Northern Shrike before. Maybe we still haven't!!

          Val from McTaggart
          Val

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • valndoyle
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 27, 2006
            We headed to Craven in hopes of seeing Mountain Bluebirds and we
            certainly did see them. Heading east along the short stretch of road
            we saw 50+ along the fence posts and trees and on the ground. A flock
            of 12 flew onto one tree south of the road and they flew up, down and
            around with the tree as their home base. Mountain Bluebirds graced the
            whole length of road and we stopped very often to take in their
            beauty . At one point, three flew up from the ground and just hovered
            side by side quite close to us.

            We also saw 2 Black-billed Magpies, 2 Western Meadowlarks and one
            Horned Lark along the same stretch of road and 5 American Crows north
            of Regina.

            Val and Doyle - McTaggart
          • Val
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 25, 2008
              This afternoon Doyle and I drove to Lumsden and then from Craven east
              on the #99 along the Qu'Appelle Valley. We saw one Common Raven and
              one soaring Rough-legged Hawk as we drove through Craven. Just east of
              Craven we saw two mink on the river snowbanks and just a bit further
              along two Canada Geese, four Common Goldeneye and three Ring-necked
              Ducks on an open bit of water. At the Game Farm we sat for half an
              hour and watched 11 Mountain Bluebirds foraging right in the pens all
              around the deer, flying up to the fence and back down.

              Val and Doyle T - McTaggart
            • Val
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 19, 2009
                This afternoon we drove along Highway #99 starting at Craven and heading east to #6. Not too far out of Craven we saw our first three Mountain Bluebirds of the year. We ventured further and saw a Golden Eagle and three Common Ravens. Then as approaching a place where we noted Mountain Bluebirds last year (there is an old shed on the north side of the road) we counted 12 more Mountain Bluebirds; all this before reaching the Game Farm. We drove to within 1.5 km of the end of this stretch and on the south side along the hills were 10 more Mountain Bluebirds plus three Common Ravens. We sat for quite a while watching the bluebirds flying about and hovering. We were very happy to see 25 Mountain Bluebirds indeed.

                Going south along #6 there were five more Common Ravens picking on a deer carcass and another three before Regina.

                Val and Doyle T - McTaggart
              • mnagelhisey@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 25, 2012
                  It's always a sign of spring to me when I see the Mountain Bluebirds return. Saw four together just west of Maple Creek.
                  Melody
                  Maple Creek

                  Sent from my iPad
                • Corey Bond
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 13, 2013
                    Good Grief!

                    Thank-you Stan, I appreciate your gentle correction.

                    Of course, Stan is correct. I meant to say Mountain Bluebird, not Western
                    Bluebird.

                    Heck it's even in the topic name, so it is doubly sad that I got it wrong.

                    I became aware a few years ago that Mountain Bluebird does not equal
                    Western Bluebird, but apparently lapsed, as I had Eastern Bluebirds on my
                    mind as well. I think it's as simple as my subconscious mind thinks Western
                    Bluebird sounds right for the prairies and Mountain anything doesn't seem
                    right.

                    SIgh....so much for my first post ;)

                    "It is better to be silent and thought a fool, that to speak up and remove
                    all doubt"

                    Corey in Regina

                    On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Shadick, Stan <stan.shadick@...>wrote:

                    > Hello Corey,****
                    >
                    > ** **
                    >
                    > Good to see another birder posting on Saskbirds. Hope you are able to
                    > become involved with Nature Saskatchewan activities.****
                    >
                    > ** **
                    >
                    > I thought I should point out to you in case anyone else has not that the
                    > common bluebirds in Saskatchewan are Mountain Bluebirds. They are all over
                    > the province.****
                    >
                    > The other species that is confined mainly to the SE corner but will
                    > occasionally wander elsewhere is the Eastern Bluebird. You might be able
                    > to see 1 pair somewhere in your district.****
                    >
                    > ** **
                    >
                    > The third species of Bluebird is Western Bluebird. In Canada, it is
                    > confined mainly to the interior of B.C. You can look for in the southern
                    > Okanagan valley, where they are common. They are rare in Victoria. Western
                    > Bluebirds do not occur in Saskatchewan.****
                    >
                    > ** **
                    >
                    > Stan Shadick****
                    >
                    > Saskatoon****
                    >
                    > ** **
                    >
                    > ** **

                  • bobluterbach
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 13, 2013
                      Corey
                      No problem. Making a mistake is human and happens to us all.  I recall
                      getting distracted here and calling Great Black-backed Gulls instead
                      Greater Black-backed Gulls plus that female gulls are larger than
                      males.:-(  It happens.

                      There are both species-Eastern and Mountain Bluebirds nesting near
                      Regina most years , lately.

                      Enjoy your birding

                    • lilliankaye@rocketmail.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 13, 2013
                        Yup, in contacting the BC birding group, I had some birds I wanted help with double-checking ID, and my email to the person responding had quite a few bald eagle photos attached, all named as "balding eagles". He must have thought he had a real winner on his hands! :)

                        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, tsb2001@... wrote:

                        > Corey
                        > No problem. Making a mistake is human and happens to us all.  I recall
                        > getting distracted here and calling Great Black-backed Gulls instead
                        > Greater Black-backed Gulls plus that female gulls are larger than
                        > males.:-(  It happens.
                        >
                        > There are both species-Eastern and Mountain Bluebirds nesting near
                        > Regina most years , lately.
                        >
                        > Enjoy your birding
                        > Bob L
                        > Regina
                        >
                        > On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:44:50 -0600, Corey Bond wrote:
                        >
                        >   Good Grief!
                        >
                        > Thank-you Stan, I appreciate your gentle correction.
                        >
                        > Of course, Stan is correct. I meant to say Mountain Bluebird, not Western
                        > Bluebird.
                        >
                        > Heck it's even in the topic name, so it is doubly sad that I got it wrong.
                        >
                        > I became aware a few years ago that Mountain Bluebird does not equal
                        > Western Bluebird, but apparently lapsed, as I had Eastern Bluebirds on my
                        > mind as well. I think it's as simple as my subconscious mind thinks Western
                        > Bluebird sounds right for the prairies and Mountain anything doesn't seem
                        > right.
                        >
                        > SIgh....so much for my first post ;)
                        >
                        > "It is better to be silent and thought a fool, that to speak up and remove
                        > all doubt"
                        >
                        > Corey in Regina
                        >
                        > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Shadick, Stan wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hello Corey,****
                        > >
                        > > ** **
                        > >
                        > > Good to see another birder posting on Saskbirds. Hope you are able to
                        > > become involved with Nature Saskatchewan activities.****
                        > >
                        > > ** **
                        > >
                        > > I thought I should point out to you in case anyone else has not that the
                        > > common bluebirds in Saskatchewan are Mountain Bluebirds. They are all over
                        > > the province.****
                        > >
                        > > The other species that is confined mainly to the SE corner but will
                        > > occasionally wander elsewhere is the Eastern Bluebird. You might be able
                        > > to see 1 pair somewhere in your district.****
                        > >
                        > > ** **
                        > >
                        > > The third species of Bluebird is Western Bluebird. In Canada, it is
                        > > confined mainly to the interior of B.C. You can look for in the southern
                        > > Okanagan valley, where they are common. They are rare in Victoria. Western
                        > > Bluebirds do not occur in Saskatchewan.****
                        > >
                        > > ** **
                        > >
                        > > Stan Shadick****
                        > >
                        > > Saskatoon****
                        > >
                        > > ** **
                        > >
                        > > ** **

                      • nikovich71
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 13, 2013
                          Good afternoon, on this very spring-like day!

                          About an hour ago, a pair of Mallards flew over my house. The first I've seen since early December!

                          Welcome Corey, and don't worry, we ALL do it!

                          We've had numerous 'Crackles', 'Brewster's Blackbirds', 'Forester's Terns' and even the occasional 'Whopping Crane'.

                          I often post here from my Ipad, so I'm frequently the king of typos. My texting also leaves a lot to be desired!

                          Cheers,

                          Nick

                          S'toon
                        • Kevin
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 14, 2013
                            Don't fret. I often type Boreal Owl instead of Burrowing Owl. You should see the birder juices flowing when you do that. Where? Where?

                            Opps... my bad.

                            Kevin in Regina

                            --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Corey Bond <cbond@...> wrote:

                            > Good Grief!
                            >
                            > Thank-you Stan, I appreciate your gentle correction.
                            >
                            > Of course, Stan is correct. I meant to say Mountain Bluebird, not Western
                            > Bluebird.
                            >
                            > Heck it's even in the topic name, so it is doubly sad that I got it wrong.
                            >
                            > I became aware a few years ago that Mountain Bluebird does not equal
                            > Western Bluebird, but apparently lapsed, as I had Eastern Bluebirds on my
                            > mind as well. I think it's as simple as my subconscious mind thinks Western
                            > Bluebird sounds right for the prairies and Mountain anything doesn't seem
                            > right.
                            >
                            > SIgh....so much for my first post ;)
                            >
                            > "It is better to be silent and thought a fool, that to speak up and remove
                            > all doubt"
                            >
                            > Corey in Regina
                          • Nick Saunders
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 19, 2013
                              Good afternoon folks,

                              Some earlier news to report , that I failed to mention yesterday.

                              I have friends that work at the Beaver Creek Center not far from town, off HWY.219.

                              They reported 6 Mountain Bluebirds last Wednesday flying over the creek. The birds ( 2 males, and 4 females ) were also spotted by a bunch of school kids on a hike.

                              Ron Jensen and I looked for these birds over the weekend but were unable to re-locate them.

                              We did however turn up many Sharp-tailed Grouse, ( at least 20 ) out early, eating the buds from some native shrubs and trees. Other than that, there was not much around at all.

                              Cheers,

                              Nick

                            • bernardtremblay
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 20, 2013
                                Nick, It is interesting that the first Mountain Bluebird observations are coming from Saskatoon instead of Regina or further south. Maybe the mountain blue birds are avoiding the Moose-Jaw Regina Crooked Lake snow belt and just going up through Swift Current and the Alberta border.

                                Bernard.

                                Regina.

                                --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Saunders" <nikovich@...> wrote:

                                > Good afternoon folks,
                                >
                                > Some earlier news to report , that I failed to mention yesterday.
                                >
                                > I have friends that work at the Beaver Creek Center not far from town, off HWY.219.
                                >
                                > They reported 6 Mountain Bluebirds last Wednesday flying over the creek. The birds ( 2 males, and 4 females ) were also spotted by a bunch of school kids on a hike.
                                >
                                > Ron Jensen and I looked for these birds over the weekend but were unable to re-locate them.
                                >
                                > We did however turn up many Sharp-tailed Grouse, ( at least 20 ) out early, eating the buds from some native shrubs and trees. Other than that, there was not much around at all.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > Nick

                              • gpkgreg
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 21 1:01 PM
                                  There were at least 10 in several trees at the corner of Wascana Gate and Prince of Wales Drive this morning.

                                  Greg Kratzig in Regina
                                • gpkgreg
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 21 4:01 PM
                                    They have been present all day and were still at this location at 430 pm

                                    --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "gpkgreg" <kratzigp@...> wrote:

                                    > There were at least 10 in several trees at the corner of Wascana Gate and Prince of Wales Drive this morning.
                                    >
                                    > Greg Kratzig in Regina

                                  • plantman108
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 22 4:16 AM
                                      There has also been 6 mountain bluebirds between the First Nations University and Wascana Centers greenhouse. These were closer to the school end of the pathway. They were there for the past 3 days.

                                      Steven Weir
                                      Regina, SK

                                      They have been present all day and were still at this location at 430 pm

                                      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "gpkgreg" <kratzigp@...> wrote:

                                      > There were at least 10 in several trees at the corner of Wascana Gate and Prince of Wales Drive this morning.
                                      >
                                      > Greg Kratzig in Regina

                                    • Ryan Bradshaw
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 7, 2013
                                        I've been so jealous of all the posts lately, especially of the White-faced Ibises and Eurasian Collared Doves. Has anyone seen these birds in the Saskatoon area? I've never seen either of these species!

                                        On a camping trip to Glenburn Regional Park this past weekend, I saw several immature Mountain Bluebirds hanging out at a Purple Martin House and around the baseball fields. I've seen Bluebirds only rarely, and never so many at one time! It was a treat!

                                        Ryan in Saskatoon

                                      • Gord and Rita Taylor
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 30, 2015
                                          On a short drive on Indy Road this afternoon I sighted two Mountain Bluebirds. They crossed the road right in front of me. They are my first of the year sighting. Gordon in Saskatoon.
                                        • valndoyle
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 30 3:27 PM
                                            We're along 99 right now and did spot two Mountain Bluebirds in trees by the Peach Farm area on the south side of the road. Tree Swallows are in at least five nesting houses. Also saw a Loggerhead Shrike and our first American Pelicans of this year. Lots of waterfowl with a higher percentage of Blue-winged Teals and one soaring Turkey Vulture. Lots of other birds as well on this beautiful day.

                                            Val T - McTaggart