Re: Pike Lake

  • Ryan Dudragne
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2006
      Just a note-- there was not one Great Horned Owl, but a pair of them,
      apparently breeding behind the nature centre (?) building.

    • el_supremo01
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2006
        My daughter Colleen, Ryan D. and I went to Pike Lake this afternoon.
        Before going in to the park I decided to turn onto O'Malley road and
        go south and then east around the south end of the channel (the
        campground is now locked so you can't drive down there within the
        park). There wasn't anything to see anyway because the channel had a
        thin layer of ice over it. So I drove into the park and parked at the
        beach. There were more birds closer to the beach than when Nick and I
        were there on Friday - probably because there were fewer ice-free
        patches. We saw: American Coots, Gadwall, Scaup sp., Canvasbacks,
        Redheads, Pied-billed Grebes (3) and a Greater Yellowlegs. We could
        also see more Scaup and a hundred or more Canada Geese further up the
        lake. We then bundled back into the car and I drove over to the Nature
        Trail. I had intended that Colleen and Ryan could walk along the trail
        a bit and feed the chickadees but there was no need. As I gave them
        some seed by the road the chickadees descended and they were later
        joined by 3 White-breasted Nuthatches and a Red Squirrel.
        Here's 3 shots of the chickadees

        and one of a White-breasted Nuthatches.
        Although we all got to feed a nuthatch they only stayed very briefly
        and seemed to be intimidated by the chickadees.
        A Red Squirrel seemed to take its cue from the chickadees and started
        eating seeds right at my feet. I leaned down and put my hand on the
        ground and Ryan said that squirrels had very poor eyesight so I moved
        my hand closer to the squirrel until it was right under its nose and
        then it started feeding from my hand.

        I had been hoping that we would also see some Sandhill Cranes and had
        almost given up hope but we saw several hundred on a sandbar on the
        river along with several flocks flying out to the surrounding fields.
        This is 4 of a group of 9. As you can see the last crane has a broken leg.

        We also saw a Ring-necked Duck, Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers, Magpies,
        Common Raven (soaring over the Pike Lake road and looking like a
        vulture) and the briefest glimpse of what might have been a shrike.

        Best Wishes