Re: [Saskbirds] Re: Magpies

  • Donna Cork
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
      Very interesting. Thanks
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Dan
      To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 11:16 PM
      Subject: [Saskbirds] Re: Magpies

      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Jared Clarke <clarkejared16@...> wrote:

      > Steve,
      > I think it is some horrible person. I was at this same area two
      years ago during the summer and found 6 - 7 Magpie's dead, tied in a
      bunch hanging from a tree branch.
      > One of the things I am learning in my ecology class right now is
      the importance of decomposers in an ecosystem. While magpie's will
      eat eggs and young of other birds, their role as a scavenger is a very
      important one. They are a valuable part of the environment.

      > Jared

      On the one hand, I admire any birds that share winter with us - that
      includes Black-billed Magpies and House Sparrows. I find magpies and
      their foraging strategies interesting, especially in winter. I try to
      band some magpies every year, partly because I can't believe that they
      are so short-lived compared to jays, crows, and ravens. I hope some
      day to have a recovery on a bird older than five years, the current
      longevity record for a wild magpie.
      I've learned a couple of things in the last few years.
      The magpies in our yard are homebodies- I see my banded birds on a
      regular basis.
      All magpies aren't fiendishly intelligent. Last winter, after I
      caught the same magpie five times in a row, I took it with me on my
      way to Kyle and let it go seven miles west of our yard. Upon release,
      the magpie headed west only until it got its bearings, then it did a
      180 and headed directly back towards our place. It might have beat me
      home, as I caught it again the next morning. When I caught it a
      seventh time a week later, I released it in the Coteau Hills, south of
      Elrose, maybe 25 miles from home. Again, once oriented, it headed
      directly back to our farm.
      Just this week I retrapped an adult magpie that I'd first banded as
      an adult in February 2005. It seems to be doing quite well. The
      banding computer program, Band Manager, asked me again if I was sure
      about the weight and wing chord, as they were above normal limits for
      the species.
      Also, I'm seeing lots of magpies as I look for Snowy Owls; the "B/W
      Pheasants" here seem to have recovered from the devastation of West
      Nile in 2004. They show a resilience that is admirable.
      On the other hand, I've watched magpies clean out a hedgerow of
      nestling passerines - I think they may be the biggest single threat to
      nestling Loggerhead Shrikes. And, in 2005, we had two cases of
      magpies attacking "brancher" Great Horned Owl chicks. In the first
      incident, my friend watched from his house as a magpie hammered on an
      owlet while the adult owl tried in vain to chase away the more nimble
      corvid. Each time the adult owl rushed the magpie, it slipped to the
      other side of the chick and continued to attack the bloodied owlet
      (When my friend was able to shoot the magpie, the magpie got hung up
      on a branch. Within seconds, the adult owl seized the dead magpie,
      carried it out into a field and ate it). In the second incident, at a
      different location, I picked up an owlet under its nest tree where it
      sat in shock with the same puncture wounds in its head as the first
      owlet had. This second owlet died soon after.
      Anyway, we're now wondering how many times in the past what we
      thought was GHOW fratricide was actually execution by magpie.
      So - magpies - admirable but just a little nasty.

      >Dan Zazelenchuk

    • William Davenport
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
        Trevor, what is your impression about the more recent trends of crows and
        magpies moving into the larger cities in ever increasing numbers?
        Bill
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
          Bill--not sure but it would seem that a smart bird like the magpie has
          figured out that our urban areas are good places to make a living. Crows of
          course have been here for a longer time but may be increasing. I have not
          seen numbers to indicate an increase in urban crows. Regardless, their
          numbers might increase simply because food is plentiful (garbage and small
          animals) and many of the normal ecological limitations on their population
          are reduced in an urban environment--predation, in particular. Pesticide
          levels may be lower in prairie cities than in the countryside, so that may
          have a role to play as well but it would be difficult to prove. Also,
          corvids may find the micro-climate in cities favourable for overwintering.

          With ravens now all around the cities I think we can reasonably expect that
          species to move into urban areas as well. There are already some sightings
          of ravens within Regina, and I imagine the same is true for Saskatoon. If
          they do, the crows and magpies may find they have to make room for the
          larger corvid.

          Trevor H

          William Davenport
          <wdavenport@saskt
          el.net> To
          Sent by: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com
          Saskbirds@yahoogr cc
          oups.com
          Subject
          Re: [Saskbirds] Re: Magpies
          03/01/2006 11:20
          AM

          Please respond to
          Saskbirds@yahoogr
          oups.com

          Trevor, what is your impression about the more recent trends of crows and
          magpies moving into the larger cities in ever increasing numbers?
          Bill
          > Great post, Dan. Even a black and white bird can't be seen in black and
          > white terms, which is the case for almost all creatures that have been
          > given a boost by human enterprise.
          >
          > It is important to remember that, although the Magpie is native to the
          > continent, records indicate that it was absent or at least very rare
          across
          > most of the Northern Great Plains until some time during the first half
          of
          > the 20th century. (There is a fine article Stuart Houston wrote about the
          > advance of the magpie in a back issue of the Blue Jay.) None of this,
          > however, justifies "magpie control measures" in general. And, it goes
          > without saying, that killing them and displaying the corpses in trees is
          an
          > ugly and hostile act.
          >
          > Yet, there will be situations where it will be tempting to try to reduce
          > their numbers--say in an area where shrikes are nesting? Cowbird control
          > has become essential for the preservation of Kirtland's Warbler, but it
          > requires a constant effort. Even so, that is the kind of "ends justifies
          > the means" solution that it is usually best to avoid if at all possible.
          >
          > We have created the niche for magpies--prairie towns and farm yards.
          > Magpies will be here as long as that niche is available.
          >
          > Trevor H
          >

          > "Dan"
          > <danzaz@sasktel.n
          > et>
          > Sent by: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com
          > Saskbirds@yahoogr
          cc
          > oups.com

          Subject
> [...]
          > thought was GHOW fratricide was actually execution by magpie.
          > So - magpies – admirable but just a little nasty.
          >

          > >Dan Zazelenchuk
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > NOTICE: This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended
          > recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that
          > disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is
          > strictly prohibited. In such case, please destroy this message and notify
          > the sender.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          NOTICE: This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended
          recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that
          disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is
          strictly prohibited. In such case, please destroy this message and notify
        • Brenda Schmidt
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
            Corvids are a big part of the urban scene in Flin Flon and Creighton.
            Gangs of ravens line the Walmart roof in Flin Flon while magpies hang on
            the fringe. Ravens tear into groceries left unattended in the back of
            trucks. They scarf down offerings of fries and burgers left behind by
            McDonalds customers. I often wonder how the diet is affecting their
            overall health.

            Brenda Schmidt
            Creighton, SK

          • Val T
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2013
              Nothing particularly new here. The Snowy Owl still keeps us guessing where it will be perched next along our country road. We have two separate families of Common Magpies. One likes to be fed out front, the others at the back dining room area. While watching the Common Redpolls and Downy Woodpecker yesterday, a coyote ambled along the top of a snowbank not too far behind them. He looked in good shape. We keep a better eye on our three dogs when letting them out right now :-).

              Val T - McTaggart