Re: [Saskbirds] Re: SNS Field Trip / Barred Owl South of Candle Lake

  • Donna Cork
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
      Thoroughly enjoyed reading about the trip Ryan and Nick the Hawk Owl is awesome. Donna
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <skyman845@...> wrote:

        > Always a treat to look at pictures of birds.
        >
        > Very nice album Nick

        thanks for looking Greg - glad you liked it

        Nick - S'toon
      • Greg
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
          I find out in April if I am moving to S'toon, and if I am would love
          to tag along on some of those trips

          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "nikovich71" <nikovich71@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <skyman845@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Always a treat to look at pictures of birds.
          > >
          > > Very nice album Nick
          > >

          > thanks for looking Greg - glad you liked it
          >

          > Nick - S'toon

        • nikovich71
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
            well the Nature Society are a great bunch - you'd be quite welcome to
            join .
          • Ryan Dudragne
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
              Oh yeah, in the town site of Candle Lake PP we found several young
              White-tailed Deer, and a lonely pair of *wolf tracks* near the yard
              that had all the chickadees and grosbeaks in it. Apparantly, the wolf
              was observed traipsing through the yard earlier that morning. I never
              realized how large wolf tracks were!

              Cheers,
              Ryan

              --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Dudragne <pl8guy@...> wrote:

              > Good Evening All!!!!
              >
              > I had a truly great day-- I have much to do tonight, so I will *try* to
              > make this short and sweet. :-)
              >
              > The Saskatoon Nature Society had our annual "owl-outing" trip today up
              > north. Unfortunately, our trip leader / owl bander Martin Stoffel had
              > taken ill and stayed home; however, we forged on ahead with the day to
              > at least see some owls, even if we couldn't see them banded, with the
              > Shadicks as co-leaders. Anyway, Martin left us with a tip of a few
              > Northern Hawk Owls around Choiceland, so the plan was to make the
              > circuit to Prince Albert-Choiceland-Melfort-Saskatoon. I was honoured
              > to go up with the Shadicks.
              >
              > Starting out with some foggy patches and general dreary fog for most of
              > the trip to Prince Albert this morning, we tallied only common ravens,
              > rock pigeons, house sparrows, some bohemian waxwings, and a magpie.
              > Just out of PA, we stopped in at Little Red River Park, hoping to gain
              > some woodpecker sp. and boreal chickadees (BOCH). We WERE disappointed
              > in that regard, noting only a handful of black-capped's, a raven, and 2
              > red squirrels. This required a change in plans if we were to get our
              > much anticipated BOCH for the day...
              >
              > So, we headed up past Meath Park to Candle Lake, SK. Along the way, we
              > noted 3 well fed coyotes. In the town site, we gained 1 red-breasted
              > nuthatch, 1 common redpoll, and a handful of black-capped chickadees.
              > In the town site at Candle Lake PP, we finally tracked down a handsome
              > number of BOCH, and probably +/- 20 Evening Grosbeaks (mostly male,
              some
              > female). After a time, the black-capped chickadees moved in, and the
              > BOCH moved out. So did we, but not without a tip-- apparently, a Great
              > Gray Owl was seen the day prior at the Christopher Lake turn-off.
              Guess