Downy Woodpecker

  • valndoyle
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
      Happy New Year's Day to everyone. I don't know if we're doing the
      first sighting of the new year but in case we are, ours was the Downy
      Woodpecker pecking suet mixture off the poplar tree. Glad he made it
      up before the House Sparrows, who came in second.

      Val - McTaggart
    • Kathy Hedegard
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
        Happy New Year Birders

        My first bird of the year was the Eurasian Collared Dove. I admit,
        though, that I cheated a little since I know when they are due to come
        to my deck feeding station and was waiting to hear the squawks they make
        (I put the noise somewhere between a raven's harsh caw and a cock
        pheasant call - with a twist) before opening up the curtains.

        Wishing everyone great birding in the coming year,
        Kathy in Estevan
      • Bailey and Bjorklund
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
          > Happy New Year's Day to everyone. I don't know if we're doing the
          > first sighting of the new year but in case we are, ours was the Downy
          > Woodpecker pecking suet mixture off the poplar tree. Glad he made it
          > up before the House Sparrows, who came in second.
          >
          > Val - McTaggart

          Nice going, Val! Here in Weyburn, I am still pondering how to go for my
          walk without seeing a pigeon first. What I really had wanted to do was get
          up and drive out of town before daylight and somehow find a Great Horned Owl
          as my first year bird. That did not happen, and so now I have to think how
          to drive the truck with my eyes closed, until I get to that magic spot that
          will give me an owl. It was all so easy, back in ancient times on the farm,
          when all I had to do was look out, and there was one or the other of the
          pair of GHOW, just waiting for me. Martin said we could have walked to the
          end of the street in the dark and heard a Partridge. But that's not good
          enough! Happy New Year to all birders!!

          Carol

        • Donna Cork
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
            I sure laughed at this Kathy because I am not even going to look anywhere until I can get out for my walk. I sure don't want our resident 30+ house sparrows to be my first of the year!!! D
            My first bird of the year was the Eurasian Collared Dove. I admit,
            though, that I cheated a little since I know when they are due to come
            to my deck feeding station and was waiting to hear the squawks they make
            (I put the noise somewhere between a raven's harsh caw and a cock
            pheasant call - with a twist) before opening up the curtains.

            Wishing everyone great birding in the coming year,
            Kathy in Estevan

            Great outdoors Birding

          • Val
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 25, 2007
              Go Riders Go!!.....sorry to copy you Kathy and Guy, just couldn't
              help it!! This morning while tossing seed and replenishing bird seed
              areas a short chirp flew in right away, the Downy Woodpecker (he
              hadn't donned his green and white uniform yet). Although we have two
              suet feeders up, the male Downy just doesn't cotton to them. I
              hadn't taken out a spoonful of the homemade suet to spread on trees
              and he was really scouring the trunks looking for some - think he's
              a bit spoiled :-). Anyway, while he constantly peeped away I got
              thinking his chirp is in the same key and shortness that our smoke
              alarm sounds like when the battery is low. Anything I can do to
              relate helps as I have a fair hearing loss so when things are
              totally quiet it's beautiful to be able to hear and compare. Yes, a
              trip was made in to get a hunk of homemade suet for the little guy
              and he almost flew onto my spoon in anxiety :-).

              Our Bohemian Waxwing we find out likes grapes so now am quartering
              them to add to his diet of berries, bananas and oranges. He's a very
              messy bird, everything he eats literally goes straight through so I
              think that's why he is such a voracious eater. It's hard to get away
              for over a day. I fill his dish with frozen berries and put an
              orange slice on the cage bottom so he'll last but even then he's
              trilling away when we get in the door for something to eat! When
              he's hungry he looks at you and trills and trills, getting louder
              something like Sanders did with his hissing. We have his cage door
              open quite a bit during the day but he prefers to be in there. When
              we eat he really likes coming out though and swiping something off
              the plate. In that way he now has acquired a taste for pasta, toast,
              eggs, mashed potatoes, cereal and small pieces of meat....not a hunk
              of veggie guy. We sure enjoy him. When I see a flock of Bohemians in
              the winter it comes to mind how many berries and how much other food
              they must need to find to survive.

              Val T - McTaggart