Re: Winter List 2005/2006

  • valndoyle
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2005
      There have been Pileated Woodpecker sightings at White Bear Lake
      (near Carlyle). They just eluded us the day of the count, darn. Come
      to think of it, I should phone the Johnsons, whose cabin they have
      been visiting, to confirm some of the days they were seen and
      perhaps that could count on the winter bird list.

      Val - McTaggart

      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Moore <moorek@s...> wrote:

      > I noticed the winter list seems to be lacking many northern
      species, or at least species a little easier to see in the north.
      Such as:

      > Pileated Woodpecker
      > White winged Crossbill
      > Pine Grosbeak
      > Hoary Redpoll
      > Boreal Owl
      > Ruffed and Spruce Grouse
      >
      > Some of these such as the Pileated seem to be odd omissions since
      we can find them in the Parklands and in some of the southern parks
      such as Moose Mountain. Any speculations on why these species are
      missing? Have our northern birders moved south? Not enough snow to
      be out cross country skiing thus we're not on back country trails?
      Someone mentioned that even at Anglin Lake they were not getting
      pine grosbeaks at their feeders which seems odd.

      > Comments?
      >
      > Kevin in Lumsden

    • Kevin Moore
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
        Were the sightings by someone "trustworthy"? If so then why can't this species be added to the winter bird list?

        I told my neighbour about some of the species that are missing from the list including Ruffed Grouse and he wants to go hiking in some nearby coulies to find one. So maybe I'll have a ruffed grouse to report tomorrow or soon.

        Kevin in Lumsden

        Message: 7

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
          Ryan,you don't happen to know how many species Albertabirds ended up with for 2005, I have lost track of who I was

        • Ryan Dudragne
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
            Jim,

            Alberta rounded out the year with 344 confirmed species (+ 7
            hypothetical) as opposed to our 307. Like us, they had a great many
            rarities, including Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Sage Thrasher,
            Black-throated Blue Warbler, Ruff, Anna's and Black-vhinned
            Hummingbirds, and both Common and King Eiders. And having the Rocky
            Mountains added to their terrain no doubt helped them out. Still, we
            did all right last year, and hopefully this year will be even better!

            Cheers,

            Ryan

            --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Nordquist" <j.nordquist@a...>