Re: Great Blue Heron

  • Mary Ann
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 6, 2005
      I can see some certain wee one getting her own pair of little
      binoculars, Val, and maybe a beginner's bird guide (for children) in
      the not so distant future!!

      Enjoy your time with her (as I know you will!)

      - Mary Ann
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net

      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "valndoyle"
      <val_doyle_thomas@h...> wrote:

      > On Monday we had great views of a Great Blue Heron just west of
      > Griffin in a slough that has provided lots of bird enjoyment this
      > summer. We also saw many Red-tailed Hawks along the highway. In
      one
      > case there was a small body of water right along the highway in a
      > half moon shape surrounded by trees on the arch part. The water
      > contained quite a few American Coots and two Red-tailed Hawks were
      > sitting at either end of the water on a tree branch.
      >
      > We have Dark-eyed Juncos, one American Tree Sparrow, several
      > Harris's Sparrows, two White-crowned Sparrows and five Mourning
      > Doves feeding at the ground feeders. A Northern Harrier can been
      > seen quite often from our front window soaring over the land. The
      > Western Meadowlarks are still hanging about but didn't see the
      > Killdeer today.
      >
      > There has (have?) been an unusual amount of racoons hit along #13
      > highway east of Weyburn. In one spot there were three within feet
      of
      > each other.
      >
      > We again have the joy of our 22-month-old granddaughter staying
      over
      > so birding is limited. She gets excited seeing them because we
      make
      > such a commotion about them with her :-).
      >
      > Val Thomas - McTaggart

    • valndoyle
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 12, 2005
        A few of us have been watching a Great Blue Heron in a large shallow
        slough east of Weyburn (north of Kots) for the whole week. On Thursday
        I spent almost two hours watching it fish, walk, stretch, preen, etc.
        Fascinating! It doesn't seem to take too much notice of people as
        three visiting family members of the farm were walking in the grass
        area south of it. Anyway, they are gorgeous, graceful and quite the
        clowns in some of the antics. A series of photos I took show it in
        different poses/stages of fishing. It's still there this morning.

        We're off to Regina this p.m. Buck Lake had about 6,000 Snow Geese
        (White-fronted and Blue Phase included) on it yesterday and several
        Mallards. One Ross's Goose was spotted.

        Val- McTaggart
      • Ryan Dudragne
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7 8:23 PM
          Good Evening All,

          So I have officially "not won" Pelican Watch 2006, as no pelican touched
          down on the river tonight. I knew it was a bit early, but I thought I'd
          take a gamble. Maybe next year. But I did see something about as good
          further north down the river; a Great Blue Heron was hunched on a tiny
          sandbar south of the Circle Drive Bridge. Also present along the river
          included six Common Mergansers (2 female), and mostly Ring-billed Gulls
          at the 'new' gull roost with several larger Californias sprinkled in.

          Cheers,

          Ryan Dudragne
          Saskatoon, SK

        • valndoyle
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 26, 2006
            Our daughter just came in and said some 'prehistoric bird with a long
            neck and huge wingspan' just flew into our yard, landing on the
            dugout. That's a pretty good description :-). We headed out and there
            was a Great Blue Heron at the east end of the water. Until the week
            before last we hadn't seen one this year.

            Val
          • terrancebs
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 8, 2008
              Saw a Great Blue feeding in the bay on the east end of Wascana marsh,
              by one of the water outlets,near faraway place, this afternoon about
              6pm.

              Terry
            • Kevin
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 27, 2011
                I forgot to mention that while driving to Winnipeg on Monday I saw a Great Blue Heron in a marsh just outside of Moosomin. Might not be a special observation but I've not seen any herons in the last 2-3 weeks and thought with the first frosts we've been having that maybe they've all gone.

                Kevin
              • skyman845
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 20, 2011
                  Hello all, I had meant to post yesterday but ran out of time.
                  Yesterday at about 2pm, I watched a cold looking Great Blue Heron fly over my house heading south. Hopefully this bird will make a safe journey. This is the latest sighting I have had for this species.

                  Greg in Regina
                • Ray or Adele Dueck
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 23, 2013
                    Our daughter was just leaving the house a few minutes ago and came back
                    to say there was a crane in the poplars. We immediately checked and it
                    was a Great Blue Heron. Quite dark already but the sky was lighter than
                    the trees and the silhouette as it stood on a branch and then flew
                    overhead was unmistakeable. Great bird to add to our yard list!

                    Adele near Lucky Lake