Great Blue Heron

  • valndoyle
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 6, 2005
      On Monday we had great views of a Great Blue Heron just west of
      Griffin in a slough that has provided lots of bird enjoyment this
      summer. We also saw many Red-tailed Hawks along the highway. In one
      case there was a small body of water right along the highway in a
      half moon shape surrounded by trees on the arch part. The water
      contained quite a few American Coots and two Red-tailed Hawks were
      sitting at either end of the water on a tree branch.

      We have Dark-eyed Juncos, one American Tree Sparrow, several
      Harris's Sparrows, two White-crowned Sparrows and five Mourning
      Doves feeding at the ground feeders. A Northern Harrier can been
      seen quite often from our front window soaring over the land. The
      Western Meadowlarks are still hanging about but didn't see the
      Killdeer today.

      There has (have?) been an unusual amount of racoons hit along #13
      highway east of Weyburn. In one spot there were three within feet of
      each other.

      We again have the joy of our 22-month-old granddaughter staying over
      so birding is limited. She gets excited seeing them because we make
      such a commotion about them with her :-).

      Val Thomas - McTaggart
    • Mary Ann
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 6, 2005
        I can see some certain wee one getting her own pair of little
        binoculars, Val, and maybe a beginner's bird guide (for children) in
        the not so distant future!!

        Enjoy your time with her (as I know you will!)

        - Mary Ann
        50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
        http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "valndoyle"
        <val_doyle_thomas@h...> wrote:

        > On Monday we had great views of a Great Blue Heron just west of
        > Griffin in a slough that has provided lots of bird enjoyment this
        > summer. We also saw many Red-tailed Hawks along the highway. In
        one
        > case there was a small body of water right along the highway in a
        > half moon shape surrounded by trees on the arch part. The water
        > contained quite a few American Coots and two Red-tailed Hawks were
        > sitting at either end of the water on a tree branch.
        >
        > We have Dark-eyed Juncos, one American Tree Sparrow, several
        > Harris's Sparrows, two White-crowned Sparrows and five Mourning
        > Doves feeding at the ground feeders. A Northern Harrier can been
        > seen quite often from our front window soaring over the land. The
        > Western Meadowlarks are still hanging about but didn't see the
        > Killdeer today.
        >
        > There has (have?) been an unusual amount of racoons hit along #13
        > highway east of Weyburn. In one spot there were three within feet
        of
        > each other.
        >
        > We again have the joy of our 22-month-old granddaughter staying
        over
        > so birding is limited. She gets excited seeing them because we
        make
        > such a commotion about them with her :-).
        >
        > Val Thomas - McTaggart

      • valndoyle
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 12, 2005
          A few of us have been watching a Great Blue Heron in a large shallow
          slough east of Weyburn (north of Kots) for the whole week. On Thursday
          I spent almost two hours watching it fish, walk, stretch, preen, etc.
          Fascinating! It doesn't seem to take too much notice of people as
          three visiting family members of the farm were walking in the grass
          area south of it. Anyway, they are gorgeous, graceful and quite the
          clowns in some of the antics. A series of photos I took show it in
          different poses/stages of fishing. It's still there this morning.

          We're off to Regina this p.m. Buck Lake had about 6,000 Snow Geese
          (White-fronted and Blue Phase included) on it yesterday and several
          Mallards. One Ross's Goose was spotted.

          Val- McTaggart
        • Ryan Dudragne
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 7, 2006
            Good Evening All,

            So I have officially "not won" Pelican Watch 2006, as no pelican touched
            down on the river tonight. I knew it was a bit early, but I thought I'd
            take a gamble. Maybe next year. But I did see something about as good
            further north down the river; a Great Blue Heron was hunched on a tiny
            sandbar south of the Circle Drive Bridge. Also present along the river
            included six Common Mergansers (2 female), and mostly Ring-billed Gulls
            at the 'new' gull roost with several larger Californias sprinkled in.

            Cheers,

            Ryan Dudragne
            Saskatoon, SK

          • valndoyle
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 26, 2006
              Our daughter just came in and said some 'prehistoric bird with a long
              neck and huge wingspan' just flew into our yard, landing on the
              dugout. That's a pretty good description :-). We headed out and there
              was a Great Blue Heron at the east end of the water. Until the week
              before last we hadn't seen one this year.

              Val
            • terrancebs
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 8, 2008
                Saw a Great Blue feeding in the bay on the east end of Wascana marsh,
                by one of the water outlets,near faraway place, this afternoon about
                6pm.

                Terry
              • Kevin
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 27, 2011
                  I forgot to mention that while driving to Winnipeg on Monday I saw a Great Blue Heron in a marsh just outside of Moosomin. Might not be a special observation but I've not seen any herons in the last 2-3 weeks and thought with the first frosts we've been having that maybe they've all gone.

                  Kevin
                • skyman845
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 20, 2011
                    Hello all, I had meant to post yesterday but ran out of time.
                    Yesterday at about 2pm, I watched a cold looking Great Blue Heron fly over my house heading south. Hopefully this bird will make a safe journey. This is the latest sighting I have had for this species.

                    Greg in Regina
                  • Ray or Adele Dueck
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 23 8:21 PM
                      Our daughter was just leaving the house a few minutes ago and came back
                      to say there was a crane in the poplars. We immediately checked and it
                      was a Great Blue Heron. Quite dark already but the sky was lighter than
                      the trees and the silhouette as it stood on a branch and then flew
                      overhead was unmistakeable. Great bird to add to our yard list!

                      Adele near Lucky Lake
                    • Ryan Bradshaw
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 13
                        We took a drive to Glenburn Regional Park (by Maymont) yesterday in search of Mountain Bluebirds; this is a spot I've often visited before where the bluebirds are easy to observe.  Unfortunately, they were no where to be found on this trip. Our observations there included several crows, 2 Merlins and a pair of Northern Pintails. On the drive there (from Saskatoon), we also observed some Canvasbacks.

                        On the way back to Saskatoon, we stopped in Borden for a short walk where I observed a Great Blue Heron overhead.

                        Enjoy the birds,
                        Ryan in Saskatoon