More From Gillam And Beyond...

  • Guy J. Wapple
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2005
      Fellow Birders,

      As mentioned yesterday, I was called out for 105 to Wainwright for
      1150 hrs. Cond. Bruce Stefanick lives in Biggar, so I was solo on
      the drive out. Not too much seen as I ran into the predicted
      showers by Asquith and it was raining steadily when I reached the
      old home town. Just two wet Red-tails seen on the way out.

      The train was almost on time and we departed Biggar at 1235 with
      newer 5669 and older 5410 hauling only 87 containers/2900 tons/6025
      feet. It's a rocket ship, but unfortunately there are two long 50
      mph trains ahead of us, so we don't get to Wainwright until 1705.
      The rain persists until Scott and the temperature drops down to only
      +6 C. Quite a miserable first part of the run, but then the clouds
      break up and when we hit Alberta the temp has recovered to +15.

      R-t Hawk - 11
      Prairie Falcon - 1 at Killsquaw Lakes.
      Am Avocet - 25+ also a K. Lks.
      Swain Hawk - 1 Unity.
      Moun Blbd - Total of 160+ from Vera to Artland.

      Speed 104 is ours to come home on at 2200. Three engines (5734-BC
      4603-5298) 142 containers/8606 tons/9451 feet. We leave almost on
      the money at 2210 and have a nice non-stop run home, hitting the
      west switch Biggar at 0100 hrs. After signing off it's back on the
      highway. I see a single Red Fox west of Perdue and two single
      animals near Asquith. The highlight is an American Mink which runs
      across the highway between two wetlands just east of Perdue. My
      first of the year! As I put the key in the door just before 0300, I
      hear several "seeps" and "chips" of birds going south over the yard.

      When I rolled out of the rack in the late am, there were a few birds
      kicking around the yard:

      Am Robin - 10+, including several juvenile birds.
      Cedar Wxwy - 15+, " " " "
      Swainson's Thrush - 2
      Y-r Warb - 4
      Ovenbird - 2. Sandra's 'nemesis' bird, this is only her second
      sighting. She spots the first one in the side yard, like the CA WA
      yesterday. This is a bird that she has heard on countless
      occasions, but never had much luck in seeing. Her first ever
      sighting was believe it or not, a seemingly healthy individual in a
      friends backyard in Estevan in early December of 1997---the 'El
      Nino' fall.

      Must run for a haircut. As I type this our imm. male Ruby-throated
      Hummer has somehow found it's way into our garage while we ran out
      for groceries earlier this afternoon. It alternately perches on the
      garage door opener brackets, then flies around in circles near the
      ceiling. Hopefully it will clue in, drop down and head out into the
      great wide open later today...

      Cheers,

      Guy Wapple,
      S'toon