RFID Caterpillar

  • M A
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      While walking along a grassy trail at Sask Landing Provincial Park
      last evening, we saw this interesting caterpillar. Larry took a photo
      of it so we could look it up... couldn't find it in the Butterfly books
      we have.

      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/MaryAnn2/Butterflies%20Spiders%20and%20more/Caterpillar_SkLanding050731.jpg

      Does anyone know what butterfly or moth this pretty caterpillar will
      turn into?

      Thank you in advance,

      - Mary Ann, Larry, and Ryan, Swift Current
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net

    • M A
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2005
        We may have an identification for our caterpillar we found at Sask
        Landing Prov Park a couple weeks ago...

        It was suggested to us (by a retired university professor) that our
        mystery caterpillar could be "most likely the larva of a fritillary and
        as there are several species I couldn't tell you which one."

        After going down the path of fritillaries, we found one that is close to
        our photo of the mystery 'pillar... a "Variegated Fritillary
        Caterpillar". We checked our "Butterflies of Canada" book and the map
        shows they are around here (there is even a mention of Swift Current,
        Sk. on the coloured plates of the butterflies.)

        These are two of the sites I was able to find with the Variegated Frit.
        Cat.:
        http://www.1000plus.com/alex/ImageGallery/Beetles,%20Insects,%20and%20Other%20Fauna/Variegated%20Fritillary%20Caterpillar.jpg
        http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/images/gf22_l.jpg

        ...and this one had a Variegated Frit. Cat. along with a Gulf Frit. Cat.
        http://www.forestryimages.org/images/768x512/1228063.jpg

        QUESTION: Does anyone have a particular website they like to use, or
        better yet a recommended field guide that shows the caterpillar stage of
        butterflies and moths (especially those we find around here)???

        I am not saying our caterpillar is a Variegated Frit. Cat. 100% for
        sure, but it looks closer than anything else we have found. Help!!!

        Thank you in advance,

        - Mary Ann, Larry, and Ryan, Swift Current
        50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
        http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net

        While walking along a grassy trail at Sask Landing Provincial Park last
        evening, we saw this interesting caterpillar. Larry took a photo of it
        so we could look it up... couldn't find it in the Butterfly books we have.

        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/MaryAnn2/Butterflies%20Spiders%20and%20more/Caterpillar_SkLanding050731.jpg

        Does anyone know what butterfly or moth this pretty caterpillar will
        turn into?

        Thank you in advance,

        - Mary Ann, Larry, and Ryan, Swift Current
        50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
        http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net

      • Bailey and Bjorklund
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2005
          QUESTION: Does anyone have a particular website they like to use, or
          better yet a recommended field guide that shows the caterpillar stage of
          butterflies and moths (especially those we find around here)???

          "A field guide to Caterpillars," Allen, Brock & Glassberg ISBN: 0195149874
          $27.97 Canadian from Amazon.ca

          Unfortunately, their idea of North America does not extend south of the Rio
          Grande or north of 50. This probably should do you find.

          Martin
          49* 39' N

        • Mary Ann
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 15, 2005
            Thank you, Martin...

            We will certainly add the book you recommended to our list of need
            to /& want to have books. (That Christmas & Birthday wishlist is
            forever growing!)

            - Mary Ann, Larry & Ryan, Swift Current

            --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bailey and Bjorklund <cmbb@s...>