Dearth of birds

  • cmbb@sk.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2001
      Went south of Weyburn through Laurier PFRA looking for eagle and prairie
      falcon. No luck. Few other birds and hardly any animal tracks. Snow cover
      is the highest it has been in a long time.

      Question: Are the voles and mice doing well under the snow in these
      conditions?

      Martin
    • Harv Lane
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2001
        Hi Martin,

        We seem to have had less snow than usual in the Saskatoon area. I know that
        you've been dumped on down in the southern part of the province. The biggest
        snow we have had was when the city decided to scrape enough snow off the street
        today to make a large iced bank where I usually park my van .... grrrrrrrrrr!

        What is making for such a tremendous Great Grey Owl year? Are there more or
        fewer voles and mice or are they buried deeper under snow up north? Any ideas?
        I would assume that mice and voles would do better in deep snow ... their food
        is always at ground level and predators begin attacks from the top most level of
        the snow!

        Cheers,
        Harv