Re: [Saskbirds] Tundra Swans

    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 1, 2005
      Mick
      Thanks for this. This is remarkable that these Tundra Swans have been in this area for several years. I ,too, hope they are successful this year.

      The report from the zoo is intriguing as well.

      Take care
      Bob
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 1, 2005
        Bob, what is remarkable is that even in the well travelled areas of
        the province birds go unreported (yes I am as guilty of that) or
        unseen. What are we missing from the less explored and more isolated
        areas of the province? How come we get no input from the
        proffesionals, are the rarer and endangered species not monitored by
        Canadian wildlife authorities? For example, how many American White
        Pelicans attempted breeding at Redberry lake last year and how
        succesful were they? This forum of ours serves a remarkable service
        in letting other birders know what is going on. However it seems
        that once a bird has made it on to the year list or winter list they
        are not reported again, some of these birds would still be of
        interest to those who want to add them to their own personal lists.
        I guess coming from the UK I got spoilt as there are more birders
        there than the whole population of Saskatchewan covering roughly the
        same area. The drawback to that is the rarity chasers make life
        pretty unbearable when a rare bird does turn up....hundreds of
        binoculars, telescopes and cameras focused on your back garden
        trying to get a glimpse of an American Robin!!

        Cheers,
        Mick,
        Saskatoon.

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bob <tsb2001@s...> wrote:
        > Mick
        > Thanks for this. This is remarkable that these Tundra Swans have
        been in this area for several years. I ,too, hope they are
        successful this year.

        > The report from the zoo is intriguing as well.
        >
        > Take care
        > Bob
      • Scott Wilson
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 1, 2005
          On 050701 10:36 AM, "micknsharon" <micknsharon@...> wrote:

          > However it seems
          > that once a bird has made it on to the year list or winter list they
          > are not reported again

          OK, Mick: here are some previously-reported birds!
          From a slough 12 km S of Kronau:
          American avocets; 2 pairs flying defensively; one female was ³skulking²
          through the grass with her head down, but still 95% visible;
          Willets; 2 pair flying defensively
          Wilson¹s phalaropes; 1 pair flying defensively
          Upland plovers heard
          Yellow-headed blackbirds ­ several
          Redwinged blackbirds
          Eared Grebes ­ 5
          Blue-winged teal ­ 3
          Sora rail heard
          Ring-billed gull
          Killdeer
          Brewer¹s blackbirds

          Also, I believe there is a Red-necked grebe nesting in Wascana marsh near
          the university; there are also four Eared-grebe nests.

          Scott
        • micknsharon
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 1, 2005
            OK Scott I appologise to all who post repeat sightings, yes some
            birds are reported more than once, I was generalising and that is
            one thing I should not be doing in this age of the internet.

            Thanks to all who contribute to Saskbirds, your sightings are all
            valuable.

            Cheers,
            Mick,
            Saskatoon.

            --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Scott Wilson <scott.wilson@u...>

            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 1, 2005
              Mick
              No offence taken I'm certain. .

              Good Birding
              Bob

              wrote:
              > On 050701 10:36 AM, "micknsharon" <micknsharon@s...> wrote:
              >
              > > However it seems
              > > that once a bird has made it on to the year list or winter list
              they
              > > are not reported again
              >
              > OK, Mick: here are some previously-reported birds!
              > From a slough 12 km S of Kronau:
              > American avocets; 2 pairs flying defensively; one female was
              ³skulking²
              > through the grass with her head down, but still 95% visible;
              > Willets; 2 pair flying defensively
              > Wilson¹s phalaropes; 1 pair flying defensively
              > Upland plovers heard
              > Yellow-headed blackbirds ­ several
              > Redwinged blackbirds
              > Eared Grebes ­ 5
              > Blue-winged teal ­ 3
              > Sora rail heard
              > Ring-billed gull
              > Killdeer
              > Brewer¹s blackbirds
              >
              > Also, I believe there is a Red-necked grebe nesting in Wascana
              marsh near
              > the university; there are also four Eared-grebe nests.
              >
              > Scott

              Alaska outdoors Backyard birding Birding binoculars

            • el_supremo01
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 13, 2006
                This evening I was finally able to go out to the Patience Lake mine to
                check on the Tundra Swans. I couldn't find them at first so I set up
                the scope and just photographed some of the other inhabitants for a
                while. After about half an hour Carol Blenkin came along and said that
                the swans were on the next pond over and that one of the cygnets had
                presumably died as it hadn't been seen for some time. So I bundled
                everything back into the car and headed a couple of hundred yards
                north and sure enough there they were.
                Here's a shot of them:
                http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/TUSW_aj2_640_0606_4672.jpg

                Best Wishes
                Pete
              • el_supremo01
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 14, 2006
                  I went out to the Patience Lake mine (about 20 miles southeast of
                  Saskatoon) this evening to check on the Tundra Swans. Of the three
                  original cygnets only one survives. One of the cygnets disappeared
                  within a few days of being hatched back near the beginning of June and
                  apparently the second one disappeared about 2 weeks ago.

                  Here's the surviving youngster with one of the adults. The other adult
                  is close by.
                  http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/TUSW_aj_640_0608_6365.jpg

                  And one of the cygnet stretching its wings. Looks like it won't be too
                  long before it can fly.
                  http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/TUSW_j_640_0608_6363.jpg

                  Both photos were digiscoped with Canon 10D camera, Canon 50mm lens and
                  Swarovski ATS80 HD.

                  Best Wishes
                  Pete
                • Val T
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 24, 2010
                    We saw Seven Swans a Swimming on the east side of the highway along #6 just south of what we call the Baker farm this afternoon. Also on the west side of the road was a Ross's Goose amongst some Blue-winged Teals.

                    Val and Doyle T - McTaggart
                  • Geoffrey
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 13, 2010
                      Just heard a large flock of Tundra Swans fly over our house in Warman. Very cool. The sky is clear, the air cool, but not too cold, and I couldn't see one bird, but they must have been very close, because it was quite a cacophony of sound. - Heard flying south at 9:45 pm.

                      Late Sunday afternoon I counted 30 Tundra Swans at Neuhorst Slough's along Twp. Rd. 400. Also saw an American Tree Sparrow, not my first of the year. Saw four at Diefenbaker Park a few days earlier in Saskatoon on Friday, October 8th, along with several Myrtle Warblers and dark eyed juncos. There was a 1st year Herring Gull along with rest near the Circle Drive extension project on the S. Saskatchewan River that same day. Notable on Sunday were four (4) Bald Eagles, 3 of whom were seen in the same field. North of Twp Rd. 400 just west of Neuhorst, and a fourth 4 year adult bird one grid road east of that. Also a rich russet Northern Harrier making the thousands of snow geese very nervous. 18 Greater White Fronted Geese, Northern Pintails, Northern Shovellers, Mallards, American Wigeon, Canvasbacks, Canada Geese (either Richardson's or Lesser - I really didn't look that close, but they were on the small side), a lone pie billed grebe and a flock of about 40 Brewer's Blackbirds. I also saw 2 Greater Yellowlegs in my quest for a closer look at the Bald Eagles just as the sun was setting.

                      Geoff Urwin,
                      Warman, SK
                    • Geoffrey
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 13, 2010
                        It may have felt like Sunday, but it was actually Monday evening that I saw the Eagles, Tundra Swans et al at the Sloughs North of Twp. Rd. 400.

                        Geoff
                      • Al Hartley
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 1, 2013
                          This morning on the way to Eastend I observed a flight of ca. 30 Tundra Swans along #13 near the Ravenscrag Road. This afternoon on the way home I observed 2 on a meltwater pond along #21 south of Cypress Lake.
                          Peace
                          Al Hartley
                          Maple Creek

                        • valndoyle
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 19, 2015
                            The swans have all but evacuated the large body of water on both sides of the road by the 206 junction south of Regina. Now there are about 200 just south of Yankee Ridge Road in very shallow water on the east side. Good views for passer-byers. Val T - McTaggart
                          • valndoyle
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 7, 2015
                              There are about 40 Tundra Swans along Highway #6 south of Regina by the Riceton turnoff.

                              Also we saw a Rough-legged Hawk on s power pole down Yellow Grass way.

                              Val T - McTaggart