Tundra Swans

  • micknsharon
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 30, 2005
      Nicely prompted Bob!!! We took a drive south east from Saskatoon to
      Clavet Mine this evening, Thursday 30th June. For those who do not
      know the area this is on the west side of Patience Lake, south of
      highway 5. Although Patience Lake is alkaline there are several
      small fresh water lakes beside the mine. Yes there is a pair of
      Tundra Swans and they have two nice sized cygnets, lets hope they
      make it to flying age and beyond. Also around this area were quite a
      few Bank Swallows 20+, there is quite an extensive area of sand to
      the west of the road running past the mine and obviously a breeding
      colony of this species. Also seen were Black Tern, Forsters Tern,
      Eastern Kingbird, Western Kingbird, Swainson's Hawk, Northern
      Harrier, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Red-winged Blackbird, American
      Avocet, Gadwall with young, Green-winged Teal. A couple of miles
      north of the mine we saw Mountain Bluebird with young on the wing
      and a real close view of a Red-tailed Hawk. We saw three White-
      tailed Deer in the area one of which was accompanied by its still
      small and spotted fawn.

      Regarding Tundra Swans, I was in conversation with one of the zoo
      keepers (sorry if that is not the politically correct term to use
      these days) earlier in the year, who told me that a pair return to
      the zoo's wildfowl pond every summer. I haven't been in the zoo this
      summer but if we have any members who may know a little more perhaps
      we could be enlightened.

      Cheers,
      Mick,
      Saskatoon.
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 1, 2005
        Mick
        Thanks for this. This is remarkable that these Tundra Swans have been in this area for several years. I ,too, hope they are successful this year.

        The report from the zoo is intriguing as well.

        Take care
        Bob

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 1, 2005
          Bob, what is remarkable is that even in the well travelled areas of
          the province birds go unreported (yes I am as guilty of that) or
          unseen. What are we missing from the less explored and more isolated
          areas of the province? How come we get no input from the
          proffesionals, are the rarer and endangered species not monitored by
          Canadian wildlife authorities? For example, how many American White
          Pelicans attempted breeding at Redberry lake last year and how
          succesful were they? This forum of ours serves a remarkable service
          in letting other birders know what is going on. However it seems
          that once a bird has made it on to the year list or winter list they
          are not reported again, some of these birds would still be of
          interest to those who want to add them to their own personal lists.
          I guess coming from the UK I got spoilt as there are more birders
          there than the whole population of Saskatchewan covering roughly the
          same area. The drawback to that is the rarity chasers make life
          pretty unbearable when a rare bird does turn up....hundreds of
          binoculars, telescopes and cameras focused on your back garden
          trying to get a glimpse of an American Robin!!

          Cheers,
          Mick,
          Saskatoon.

          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bob <tsb2001@s...> wrote:
          > Mick
          > Thanks for this. This is remarkable that these Tundra Swans have
          been in this area for several years. I ,too, hope they are
          successful this year.

          > The report from the zoo is intriguing as well.
          >
          > Take care
          > Bob
        • Scott Wilson
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 1, 2005
            On 050701 10:36 AM, "micknsharon" <micknsharon@...> wrote:

            > However it seems
            > that once a bird has made it on to the year list or winter list they
            > are not reported again

            OK, Mick: here are some previously-reported birds!
            From a slough 12 km S of Kronau:
            American avocets; 2 pairs flying defensively; one female was ³skulking²
            through the grass with her head down, but still 95% visible;
            Willets; 2 pair flying defensively
            Wilson¹s phalaropes; 1 pair flying defensively
            Upland plovers heard
            Yellow-headed blackbirds ­ several
            Redwinged blackbirds
            Eared Grebes ­ 5
            Blue-winged teal ­ 3
            Sora rail heard
            Ring-billed gull
            Killdeer
            Brewer¹s blackbirds

            Also, I believe there is a Red-necked grebe nesting in Wascana marsh near
            the university; there are also four Eared-grebe nests.

            Scott
          • micknsharon
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 1, 2005
              OK Scott I appologise to all who post repeat sightings, yes some
              birds are reported more than once, I was generalising and that is
              one thing I should not be doing in this age of the internet.

              Thanks to all who contribute to Saskbirds, your sightings are all
              valuable.

              Cheers,
              Mick,
              Saskatoon.

              --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Scott Wilson <scott.wilson@u...>

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 1, 2005
                Mick
                No offence taken I'm certain. .

                Good Birding
                Bob

                wrote:
                > On 050701 10:36 AM, "micknsharon" <micknsharon@s...> wrote:
                >
                > > However it seems
                > > that once a bird has made it on to the year list or winter list
                they
                > > are not reported again
                >
                > OK, Mick: here are some previously-reported birds!
                > From a slough 12 km S of Kronau:
                > American avocets; 2 pairs flying defensively; one female was
                ³skulking²
                > through the grass with her head down, but still 95% visible;
                > Willets; 2 pair flying defensively
                > Wilson¹s phalaropes; 1 pair flying defensively
                > Upland plovers heard
                > Yellow-headed blackbirds ­ several
                > Redwinged blackbirds
                > Eared Grebes ­ 5
                > Blue-winged teal ­ 3
                > Sora rail heard
                > Ring-billed gull
                > Killdeer
                > Brewer¹s blackbirds
                >
                > Also, I believe there is a Red-necked grebe nesting in Wascana
                marsh near
                > the university; there are also four Eared-grebe nests.
                >
                > Scott

                Alaska outdoors Backyard birding Birding binoculars

              • el_supremo01
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 13, 2006
                  This evening I was finally able to go out to the Patience Lake mine to
                  check on the Tundra Swans. I couldn't find them at first so I set up
                  the scope and just photographed some of the other inhabitants for a
                  while. After about half an hour Carol Blenkin came along and said that
                  the swans were on the next pond over and that one of the cygnets had
                  presumably died as it hadn't been seen for some time. So I bundled
                  everything back into the car and headed a couple of hundred yards
                  north and sure enough there they were.
                  Here's a shot of them:
                  http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/TUSW_aj2_640_0606_4672.jpg

                  Best Wishes
                  Pete
                • el_supremo01
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 14, 2006
                    I went out to the Patience Lake mine (about 20 miles southeast of
                    Saskatoon) this evening to check on the Tundra Swans. Of the three
                    original cygnets only one survives. One of the cygnets disappeared
                    within a few days of being hatched back near the beginning of June and
                    apparently the second one disappeared about 2 weeks ago.

                    Here's the surviving youngster with one of the adults. The other adult
                    is close by.
                    http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/TUSW_aj_640_0608_6365.jpg

                    And one of the cygnet stretching its wings. Looks like it won't be too
                    long before it can fly.
                    http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/TUSW_j_640_0608_6363.jpg

                    Both photos were digiscoped with Canon 10D camera, Canon 50mm lens and
                    Swarovski ATS80 HD.

                    Best Wishes
                    Pete
                  • Val T
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 24, 2010
                      We saw Seven Swans a Swimming on the east side of the highway along #6 just south of what we call the Baker farm this afternoon. Also on the west side of the road was a Ross's Goose amongst some Blue-winged Teals.

                      Val and Doyle T - McTaggart
                    • Geoffrey
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 13, 2010
                        Just heard a large flock of Tundra Swans fly over our house in Warman. Very cool. The sky is clear, the air cool, but not too cold, and I couldn't see one bird, but they must have been very close, because it was quite a cacophony of sound. - Heard flying south at 9:45 pm.

                        Late Sunday afternoon I counted 30 Tundra Swans at Neuhorst Slough's along Twp. Rd. 400. Also saw an American Tree Sparrow, not my first of the year. Saw four at Diefenbaker Park a few days earlier in Saskatoon on Friday, October 8th, along with several Myrtle Warblers and dark eyed juncos. There was a 1st year Herring Gull along with rest near the Circle Drive extension project on the S. Saskatchewan River that same day. Notable on Sunday were four (4) Bald Eagles, 3 of whom were seen in the same field. North of Twp Rd. 400 just west of Neuhorst, and a fourth 4 year adult bird one grid road east of that. Also a rich russet Northern Harrier making the thousands of snow geese very nervous. 18 Greater White Fronted Geese, Northern Pintails, Northern Shovellers, Mallards, American Wigeon, Canvasbacks, Canada Geese (either Richardson's or Lesser - I really didn't look that close, but they were on the small side), a lone pie billed grebe and a flock of about 40 Brewer's Blackbirds. I also saw 2 Greater Yellowlegs in my quest for a closer look at the Bald Eagles just as the sun was setting.

                        Geoff Urwin,
                        Warman, SK
                      • Geoffrey
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 13, 2010
                          It may have felt like Sunday, but it was actually Monday evening that I saw the Eagles, Tundra Swans et al at the Sloughs North of Twp. Rd. 400.

                          Geoff
                        • Al Hartley
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 1, 2013
                            This morning on the way to Eastend I observed a flight of ca. 30 Tundra Swans along #13 near the Ravenscrag Road. This afternoon on the way home I observed 2 on a meltwater pond along #21 south of Cypress Lake.
                            Peace
                            Al Hartley
                            Maple Creek