Peregrine Falcon South of SIAST

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2005
      Migrant shorebirds were much reduced this mid-afternoon at the Cinema Six
      Slough area. The extensive sheet water there covers many hectares.

      I saw 10+ White-rumped plus 4 Pectoral and a couple of Semipalmated
      Sandpipers.

      There were 27 Black-bellied Plovers and a single Golden Plover plus the
      usual resident shorebirds: Killdeer, Willets and 30+ American Avocets.

      Later after dinner I saw 3 Sanderlings and 2 Semipalmated Sandpipers with
      the BBPL's absent.

      The Peregrine Falcon was perched on a power structure near the sub-station
      south of the SIAST Building. It was heavily barred on the breast and had
      the typical broad malars of an anatum subspecies. Oddly the breast was pure
      white without the typical wash.

      I don't think that the Peregrines are breeding again at the City Hall site.
      This will be the third year since the older female expired on the nest. You
      would think that a replacement would be recruited: however , no luck so far.

      A male has been present for a time each spring and then it wanders away. I
      saw it perched on the building nest the nest platform earlier but not
      lately.

      Good birding
      Bob